The US Election 2016, Part VIII

Pidesco

BLM is a movement, so it is no surprise that it would be covered in the museum.  As Amentep explained, they don't seem to be covering individuals, but rather events and artifacts. 

But hey, keep jumping to conclusions instead of doing actual research.  It makes you a qualified reporter in this day and age.

Research is a Stalinist plot to indoctrinate people into Marxism.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

At that link, the first picture related to Anita Hill is in association to a donated pin; the second appears to be related to a photograph (that I should mention isn't listed on the website holdings) and trying to contextualize the event within a historical context.

So yes, they talk about people, but in a way that relates them to their history.  Right now - yes - it seems that they think that the Anita Hill-Clarence Thomas hearings are best contextualized in context of bringing social issues to the forefront of the conversation rather than in the context of the second African-American Supreme Court Justice.

But again I'd be interested in knowing - did they ask Thomas directly for a donation (and did he refuse) and, if not, why not and did anyone try to voluntarily donate anything related to him and was actually refused to have it accepted?  Because at the end of the day if all you have are items that represent Anita Hill, and your museum is designed to use those items to explain history, then Anita Hill is going to dominate the conversation.

Do you understand how bizarre that argument is? A national museum does a major exhibition just because they happen to have a pin with a name on it. But they absolutely can not obtain any item of Thomas, or just put up a photo, and therefore have to skip over him entirely.

Have you guys in the USA ever heard of  a African American  women called Angela  Davis? She is famous in the civil rights movement...she came to SA  as a guest recently and really added to our social issues with a misplaced speech she made 

http://ewn.co.za/2016/09/09/US-political-activist-Angela-Davis-delivers-17th-annual-Steve-Biko-Lecture

lol

WOD you know I'm very committed to the new South Africa and addressing the past 

But there is  a small group of African Americans who honestly come to SA as special guests and say things which are just not true about the reality of the USA or they tell black South African things they should do or believe which just  create social discord and confusion 

i know this sounds like I'm being unnecessarily critical but I promise you Im not, for example Angela Davis said in her speech " the only reason SA doesnt have free tertiary education is because the government looks at education in  a Capitalist lens " ( how else should we see it....in a Communist lens )   :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, yes, a communist lens, she's a communist in case you don't know. Big hero in the Soviet Union too.

Yes I found that out later, I wonder if she goes around the USA saying things like " The demand for free education is only unrealistic because we continue to live within the mandates of capitalism,”

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Do you understand how bizarre that argument is? A national museum does a major exhibition just because they happen to have a pin with a name on it. But they absolutely can not obtain any item of Thomas, or just put up a photo, and therefore have to skip over him entirely.

It doesn't bother you that every conservative publication is running with this story without receiving any actual response from the museum itself?  This is terrible journalism.  

• Like 1

Circa that I linked above said this "Museum officials acknowledged that Thomas has "very little presence" in any of the exhibitions." Breitbart said that the museum did not return their inquiries.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Circa that I linked above said this "Museum officials acknowledged that Thomas has "very little presence" in any of the exhibitions." Breitbart said that the museum did not return their inquiries.

Exactly, this is a partial story.  Everybody is running with it instead of digging deeper.  

You can send the museum an email if you're interested. I don't know how they're supposed to dig deeper when the museum won't respond, not that it's so difficult to figure out what's going on anyway.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

BLM is a movement, so it is no surprise that it would be covered in the museum.  As Amentep explained, they don't seem to be covering individuals, but rather events and artifacts. 

But hey, keep jumping to conclusions instead of doing actual research.  It makes you a qualified reporter in this day and age.

but clarence thomas was a stalinist.

oh, the humanity!

truly a moral/immoral conundrum. how do the stalinists feel 'bout excluding a fellow stalinist?

as an aside, am not too surprised if clarence thomas' history has been glossed over. he is a taciturn Justice who, perhaps ironically, is one o' the most prolific writers on the Court.  the thing is, J Thomas' voluminous writings is primarily concurrences and dissents. and as the second african-american Justice, he don't quite have same trailblazer cache as does thurgood marshall.

larry doby

mr. doby were the first black player in the american league o' mlb, and the second african-american to play in the big leagues after jackie robinson.  mr. doby faced same/similar hurdles as robinson, but other than hardcore baseball fans, the number o' folks who recognize larry doby is small.

"Larry Doby was a good and honorable man, and a tremendous athlete and manager. He had a profound influence on the game of baseball, and he will be missed. As the first African American player in the American League, he helped lead the Cleveland Indians to their last World Series title in 1948, became a nine-time All-Star and was voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1998. Laura joins me in sending our condolences to Larry's family during this difficult time." -george w.bush 'pon the death o' larry doby

is larry doby in the museum?  if he is, am betting that he gets much more limited recognition than jackie robinson.

clarence thomas doesn't deserve much o' the ire he has drawn from politicians.  it took J. Thomas a few years to develop a coherent guiding philosophy, but since then he has been consistent if convoluted.  clarence thomas were not a groundbreaker culturally or philosophically.  he were the second black Justice, and his concurrences and dissents were tending to be influential only o' other Justices.  his decidedly libertarian and originalist opinions offended democrats and minorities.  his willingness to use the Declaration o' Independence as a legal lighthouse offended more than a few legal scholars.  the refusal to even recognize lawyers during oral arguments angered everybody in the legal community other than fellow Justices.  a willingness to quote ayn rand nowadays is also gonna cheese off politicians on both sides o' the aisle. so yeah, in a museum dedicated to african-american history, clarence thomas is gonna be a divisive presence.  

am not taking wod's sources (HA!) as dispositive o' some kinda neglect o' J. Thomas, but it would not surprise us if such happened to the Court's Larry Doby.  would be an unfortunate but predictable oversight.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You can send the museum an email if you're interested. I don't know how they're supposed to dig deeper when the museum won't respond, not that it's so difficult to figure out what's going on anyway.

Why would I do that?  I'm not publishing stories here.   :blink:

Do you really feel sending an email is digging deep?

• Like 1

well, that advice mighta' saved him some grief a bit earlier in the thread.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Do you want them to stake out the museum? I suppose since it's a government institution they could file a FOIA request, but that would probably take a year or more. And why not send them an email if you're interested in the answer, or are you just asking for argument's sake?

There's nothing flimsy about it, they asked for a response and didn't get it. At least they're willing to report on subjects the mainstream media tries to cover up.

Not everyone agrees with Gromnir's opinion of Justice Thomas:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/30/clarence-thomas-often-stands-alone-as-opinions-set/

http://thehill.com/regulation/other/202633-is-it-clarence-thomass-court

I've read an even better article but can't find it now.

There's nothing flimsy about it, they asked for a response and didn't get it. At least they're willing to report on subjects the mainstream media tries to cover up.

Ah of course.  And thankfully their reports always find a way to fit their narrative.  What convenience.  

• Like 1

wod, as usual, can't read.  or doesn't bother to read... or doesn't understand what he read.  take your pick.

"Over the past three terms, no justice has written more concurring opinions or dissents than Justice Thomas."

should sound familiar after reading Gromnir's post. we already noted that clarence thomas doesn't deserve the ire he receives from politicians and that his opinions has primarily been influential on Justices o' the Court... which were the point of wod's second linked article (although as it were 2014, am thinking it is a bit dated given some o' the obvious recent changes.)

and again, the fact that not everybody agrees about thomas were exactly what we referenced when we observed, " in a museum dedicated to african-american history, clarence thomas is gonna be a divisive presence."

so, posting links to articles that support Gromnir is a poor way to show, "Not everyone agrees with Gromnir's opinion of Justice Thomas"

again, we used quotations accurate to show wod how it is 'posed to work.

aside: hurl should recognize futility.  given the obliviousness he shown for recent faux pas with linking random and suspect sources, am doubting you will convince wod o' his error.

HA! Good Fun!

Well, OK, I did gloss over your saying he influenced other justices, since you seemed dismissive of him for mostly writing concurrences and dissents. And the article I was going to link but couldn't find gave him far more prominence than your words would suggest, so I'll admit my phrasing wasn't good. Edit: OK, I finally managed to find the other article: http://www.weeklystandard.com/giving-thomas-his-due/article/988078#

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

but clarence thomas was a stalinist.

oh, the humanity!

truly a moral/immoral conundrum. how do the stalinists feel 'bout excluding a fellow stalinist?

as an aside, am not too surprised if clarence thomas' history has been glossed over. he is a taciturn Justice who, perhaps ironically, is one o' the most prolific writers on the Court.  the thing is, J Thomas' voluminous writings is primarily concurrences and dissents. and as the second african-american Justice, he don't quite have same trailblazer cache as does thurgood marshall.

larry doby

mr. doby were the first black player in the american league o' mlb, and the second african-american to play in the big leagues after jackie robinson.  mr. doby faced same/similar hurdles as robinson, but other than hardcore baseball fans, the number o' folks who recognize larry doby is small.

"Larry Doby was a good and honorable man, and a tremendous athlete and manager. He had a profound influence on the game of baseball, and he will be missed. As the first African American player in the American League, he helped lead the Cleveland Indians to their last World Series title in 1948, became a nine-time All-Star and was voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1998. Laura joins me in sending our condolences to Larry's family during this difficult time." -george w.bush 'pon the death o' larry doby

is larry doby in the museum?  if he is, am betting that he gets much more limited recognition than jackie robinson.

clarence thomas doesn't deserve much o' the ire he has drawn from politicians.  it took J. Thomas a few years to develop a coherent guiding philosophy, but since then he has been consistent if convoluted.  clarence thomas were not a groundbreaker culturally or philosophically.  he were the second black Justice, and his concurrences and dissents were tending to be influential only o' other Justices.  his decidedly libertarian and originalist opinions offended democrats and minorities.  his willingness to use the Declaration o' Independence as a legal lighthouse offended more than a few legal scholars.  the refusal to even recognize lawyers during oral arguments angered everybody in the legal community other than fellow Justices.  a willingness to quote ayn rand nowadays is also gonna cheese off politicians on both sides o' the aisle. so yeah, in a museum dedicated to african-american history, clarence thomas is gonna be a divisive presence.  

am not taking wod's sources (HA!) as dispositive o' some kinda neglect o' J. Thomas, but it would not surprise us if such happened to the Court's Larry Doby.  would be an unfortunate but predictable oversight.

HA! Good Fun!

Excellent post. I am ashamed to say I didn't know Larry Doby was the first AA player in the American League. I always thought that was Satchel Paige. But I knew they were teammates on the '48 championship team. 

A few years back I read Clarence Thomas's memoir "My Grandfather's Son". I had not paid much attention to the Supreme Court until the Kelo case. After that I have watched it very closely having seen what a terrible and lasting impact it can have and how much damage those 9 people have the potential to do. Since then I have admired Justice Thomas for his views on Federalism and 10th Amendment cases. He has been extremely reluctant to overturn state statutes from the federal bench. Would that some of the others were so restrained. 

He is a complicated man. His rise from extreme poverty to Holy Cross to Yale and ultimately to the federal bench and the Supreme Court of the United States is one that should have earned him a great deal of recognition and admiration. It hasn't. Politics is quickly becoming a disease in this country. Far too many people believe your political opinions define you as a human being. Far too many think if someone holds opposing views it must be because they are stupid, or evil, or (this is BruceVC's favorit) don't understand the facts. I remember a few years back MSNBC commenting on Thomas asking a question during oral arguments for the first time in his tenure. They went on at length that the question was dumb and stopped just short of calling him dumb. Just by a hair short. The New York times absolutely excoriated his memoir and actually used words like petty and vindictive to describe him. 

But if they took the time to read the book they would learn how he came to believe what he does and who his influences are. As I said he is a remarkable man.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Since Nevada has a "none of these Candidates" option on the ballot, can't help but wonder how many votes it will get this year.

What's the difference between "there", "their" and "they're"?   Apparently, none.     :huh:  

Been super busy. Don't have time to read stuff. Won't have time to read stuff for awhile yet. (I'm sure some here celebrate this).

Just wanted to pop and say hi to Leferd and that I haven't forgotten our wager. I fully intend to pay up or live it up. ;)

• Like 1