How to improve your odds of success?

I just had to forfeit another game.

Running Lem and Valeros.

These are all the checks:

Vs. Goblin Lose 1 card before action. Combat roll: d10 = 1

vs. Pit Dex check d8 = 1

vs. Shadow Roll 2d10+2 = 1+1+2 = 4

Roll Cure spell 1d4+1 = 1+1 = 2 Rechage 2d10+2 = 1+2+2 = 5.

vs. Enchantress lose 1 card. roll d10 +1d4 = 2+1 = 3 

vs. goblin roll 3d4 = 1+1+1, discard 7, bury 1. Lem down to 1 card in library.

Boss.  4d10+1d4+2, target 11, roll = 1+1+1+2+2+2 = 9

At this point had to forfeit.  

For the life of me I cannot figure what tactics would have worked better.  So how to improve the odds?  

What's your ratio of forfeits to wins?

When you're first starting out and don't have good cards (in your vault or deck) or don't have all the characters unlocked, it's not uncommon to lose a lot of your games. I want ti say that my clear percentage on scenarios was something like 50% when I first started playing.

Edited by Nym

I just had to forfeit another game.

Running Lem and Valeros.

These are all the checks:

Vs. Goblin Lose 1 card before action. Combat roll: d10 = 1

vs. Pit Dex check d8 = 1

vs. Shadow Roll 2d10+2 = 1+1+2 = 4

Roll Cure spell 1d4+1 = 1+1 = 2 Rechage 2d10+2 = 1+2+2 = 5.

vs. Enchantress lose 1 card. roll d10 +1d4 = 2+1 = 3 

vs. goblin roll 3d4 = 1+1+1, discard 7, bury 1. Lem down to 1 card in library.

Boss.  4d10+1d4+2, target 11, roll = 1+1+1+2+2+2 = 9

At this point had to forfeit.  

For the life of me I cannot figure what tactics would have worked better.  So how to improve the odds?  

It looks like you just got some really bad luck on your rolls for those checks.  Unfortunately, it happens.  Try not to get discouraged and at least acquire cards that will be improvements for your characters.

It happens from time to time. Weapons that give reroll Are good. And any extra dice Also. Also ally that gives direct pluss can help.

I have made some very lucky and very unlucky rolls in both physical and digital version of this game so I am used to them :)

Three dice have to get 4... can not go wrong... have to get 12 with 2d6, no problemo. Dice games Are sometimes like that.

But augyry, Magic class and other cards that allow you to seee what is next Are very usefull, so that you can be sure that best character is taking the roll. So scouting is the way to go!

• Like 1

It doesn't like you were doing anything wrong. As someone who rolled a 1, seven times in a row, on video, I feel your pain. I just blew my lottery winning odds on rolling seven consecutive 1s. However games that use Dice are always going to be pretty swingy. You also tend to remember your really bad rolls but forget the epic ones.

Also on the fly odds are a weird beast. When I was at Gen Con and and watched people, the vast majority of people though 50/50 odds were pretty good and were surprised when they only succeeded 50% of the time. 

After many, many, many hours of game play on both the physical version and digital version I feel the game seems tuned more towards a 4 character experience. 4 characters means you have a solid base for most checks. Your Classic party works pretty well here Valeros, Kyra, Merisiel and Ezren.

This game has a pretty high learning curve and it can seem brutal, and honestly with bad dice rules it IS brutal. Like other players have said at the start of the adventure it can be very tough.

There are some things you can do to help alleviate this.

• As Hannibal mentioned cards that allow you to re-roll can be pretty helpful.
  • Prioritize your blessing spending. You don't need every boon, only spend blessings ones you really need.
  • Try a 4 character party, there are more locations but you have more options to help each other out.
  • If you want to continue with Lem and Valeros I'd keep them together.
  • Lini, Kyra, Lem are all pretty great support characters, Harsk also makes a great combat support character
  • I prefer armor over shields, since you can bury them to prevent a hand wipe!
  • If a character who is not proficient in armor gets an armor keep it! They can still banish it to prevent a hand wipe!
  • Grind, you can do this in our game but by the rules really can't in the physical game, take advantage of this!
  • Treasure cards, if you got some spare gold rattling around buy some chests! Some of the early game stuff you can get from those can give you quite the edge.

Bad die rolls and not pulling the cards you need can always sink the best plans, but hopefully these tips help you out a bit and you can gain some traction!

• Like 1