Best class for solo, lore wise?

I already posted this in the stories sub, but... Yeah

So, what class would in your opinion be the best for soloing from a lore point of view? I thought maybe a rouge, or a monk. Or a bleak walker...

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Depends...

For the main campain a Priest (preferably of Eothas) would be my favourite.

For WM I i have nothing special in mind, but for WM II it may be a Moon Godlike monk.

I meant it more in a sense of "who would actually rather travel alone"?

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

I saw this and actually wanted to a very small analysis on each class. This is not meant to imply that you have to roleplay each class this way, this is just based off what each class stands for in a general way. I actually based most of these off the little blurb given for each class at character creation. To sum it up I think rangers probably make the most sense and Paladins and priests the least.

Barbarian- According to the lore barbarians are often used as shock troops. This would indicate that many barbarians are used to fighting with other people and thus would not want to solo. Still makes sense to solo, just that many barbarians don't

Chanter- Chanters are storytellers and researchers in the lore, some in organised groups. This would indicate that many like dealing with people to some degree, if only to get at their books. Makes less sense to solo as presumably they'd enjoy companions, if only for the stories shared whilst travelling, but could be played as someone who likes people but doesn't want to fight with them.

Cipher- As ciphers are commonly distrusted it would make sense for them to either want or be used to working alone. However some of their abilities do 'use' an allies essence. Any cipher that used these abilities would want to have someone to use it on and thus would not want to go solo. If you did not pick any of these abilities they could make sense for solo.

Druid- The lore implies that many Druids spend their lives living in the wilderness, presumably alone. This would mean it would make sense for many Druids to be used to fighting alone. On the other hand Druids have many spells that boost allies, making it seem that many Druids have allies to use them on. Theoretically these allies could all be beasts that the Druid had charmed though.

Fighter- Lorewise fighters are often soldiers and sell swords. Soldiers and sell swords that are part of mercenary companies would be either be trained to or just be used to fighting with other people. Sell sword types that work alone would not be.

Monk- All monks learned their abilities through fighting orders, depending on their order this may have been teaching them to fight or teaching them to fight together. If it's the latter it makes less sense to go solo. As it is said that many go wandering it makes sense for them to be solo.

Paladin- This is probably the class that makes the least sense to go solo and the abilities show for it. Most of them help allies in one way or another. Most Paladin orders would have trained their members to fight together under them. However as the Kind Wayfarers are so spread out, most of their members operate independently. Members of this order would be used to living and fighting alone.

Priest- As many priest spells buff allies it wouldn't make that much sense for them to be someone who goes at it alone. Priests also tend to focus on philosophy, teaching and the relationship of their religion with common folk, making them probably used to dealing with other people. This doesn't necessarily mean they want to fight with other people's though.

Ranger- Lorewise, Rangers lifestyles tend to lean towards independence and isolation. This would make them used to living and fighting with just their animal companions. I think this class makes the most sense to solo.

Rogue- Rogues are apparently often used as shock troops and often congregate together in cities as mercenaries and hired muscle. This does mean that many rogues have worked together in the past. They probably work well alone as many are meant to have enough wits to pull off their sneaky attacks.

Wizard- Many wizards learn to use their power in academia and guilds where they would be with other students. They are probably not taught to fight together though. Many favor environments where research, debating and exchanging of knowledge and opinions are allowed. Therefore many presumably like dealing with at the very least like minded people. This does not necessarily mean that they want to fight with other people though.

• Like 4

If you really plan to do the lone wanderer solo playthrough Cipher is by far the best lore choice.  The watcher being a Cipher makes sense, as much of a watchers ability has to do with Animancy and Ciphers are tied directly to Animancy itself.  A Cipher would be more easily able to cope with becoming a watcher, and there is suggestions littered in the game that they are more prone to it.  They tend to be distrusted and keep to their own company from the get go.  Lastly considering the entire plot of the game about animancy and questions of the soul, what is god, etc.... those are questions a Cipher might see themselves asking due to their own experiences and life.

In my mind the main character being a Cipher just works and makes the most sense out of all the classes.

Cipher is also the only class literally created for this game and that says a lot.  Chanters are just fancy bards, and the rest are all "staple" classes.  The only thing in D&D close to a cipher is a psionicist and even they are different.

I think a Chanter also makes sense as a Watcher from a lore perspective, as their powers are based on assembling the stray soul fragments around the area to be the actors/pyrotechnicians in the plays they weave with their voices.

A solo Chanter may sound strange for some, but I kinda see said character as a wandering artist in search of inspiration, who is far too introverted to lead a group yet creative enough to not need one.

Unfortunately, you are never given the opportunity to use your musical necromancy like ciphers use their powers. So much wasted potential...

Cipher's lore may be nice for solo, but a fair bit of their powers are targeted on party play and don't work solo. Why have they developed so many support abilitis that don't work on themselves when they like to go solo?

Wizard's spells and abilities however are perfect for soloing (not one single support thing, but a lot of selfish stuff), which might reflect the attitude they have towards this party or solo thing.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

If you really plan to do the lone wanderer solo playthrough Cipher is by far the best lore choice.  The watcher being a Cipher makes sense, as much of a watchers ability has to do with Animancy and Ciphers are tied directly to Animancy itself.  A Cipher would be more easily able to cope with becoming a watcher, and there is suggestions littered in the game that they are more prone to it.  They tend to be distrusted and keep to their own company from the get go.  Lastly considering the entire plot of the game about animancy and questions of the soul, what is god, etc.... those are questions a Cipher might see themselves asking due to their own experiences and life.

In my mind the main character being a Cipher just works and makes the most sense out of all the classes.

Cipher is also the only class literally created for this game and that says a lot.  Chanters are just fancy bards, and the rest are all "staple" classes.  The only thing in D&D close to a cipher is a psionicist and even they are different.

Ciphers are closest to Psychic Warrior (3e). Not an exact analogue, but seeing as it relies both on powers and weapon attacks it's fairly close.

Still the coolest class imo, and makes the most sense to solo with if you care about lore.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands