Is there a thread that lists all of the recommend builds for NPCs?

I'd try the updated build list, most of the builds there work perfectly with the companions. Just pick a build that you like and follow it, the nice thing is you can tweak them to your preference. But they are good starting points.

Just off the top of my head, kubya's juggernaut monk for Zahua. Boeroers drake ambassador- Kana. His tank Druid build for Hiravious. AC's lady of pain... Ahem for Eder :) not in front of my computer so I can't be more specific but most of them work really well with the companions.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I'd try the updated build list, most of the builds there work perfectly with the companions. Just pick a build that you like and follow it, the nice thing is you can tweak them to your preference. But they are good starting points.

Just off the top of my head, kubya's juggernaut monk for Zahua. Boeroers drake ambassador- Kana. His tank Druid build for Hiravious. AC's lady of pain... Ahem for Eder :) not in front of my computer so I can't be more specific but most of them work really well with the companions.

Cool, thanks!

Umm... how come there is no tank fighter build?

Because they'd be underpreformimg... Don't get me wrong, they're great tanks, but so are other classes like paladin and chanter. And while they tank+something else, a fighter would be a pure tank.

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Eder some patches ago was the God of tanking... Absolutely would not die. They then fine tuned the ai and abilities... So immortal tanks took a blow from that, basically the ai was more intelligent it would just ignore a tank if it posed no threat i.e. Couldn't do any damage.

So all the fighter tanks which had made massive compromises - they couldn't die but they also did no damage became redundant. Fighters as it stands make excellent single target dps characters, on top of that they are still really tough and have some minor crowd control.

As Ben has said Paladins and Chanters make better tanks. Both because they can do other stuff not just tank. Chanters also get a fair amount of aggro while tanking because of their chants which makes them useful as tanks. Eder does nicely with a two handed sword/estoc and looks unbelievably cool in wayfarers armour with the stag helm to boot.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."

Lord of Light

Just to clarify Eder makes a great tank, just make sure to take a few offensive talents as well and give him a sabre and let him go to town. Pillars is good that way, you can build anyway you want but many of the builds listed are for min/maxing and squeezing out ever last drop of power gaming so a fighter tank is not quite as good as a paladin or chanter.

Lord of Light

The Lady of Pain is fun.

The Engineer build is a tank with shield and tremendous self healing that has some nice burst damage after a while and is not worthless in melee, too.

Note that some - or most - of my builds are 2.x versions. They are also not 100% optimized for PG, but make some minor compromizes so that they stay true to their style, basic idea and indiv. backgroud. However, they are absolutely viable to beat PoTD difficulty. I did a playthrough with all of them.

They still work the way they are advertised, but you can add some of the new talents/abilities and items now. But if you get the basic idea of the build I think it's easy to squeeze those in. Feel free to report in those threads if you discover something new or which new feats work great.

The builds of mine which *don't* work with official companions are:

- Monksterlasher (needs to be a Fire Godlike)

- Backlash Beldam (it's beauty was destroyed by OBS - it doesn't work at all atm.

- Scheemer's Needler (needs to be a priest of Skaen)

- Bilestomper (should be a Mountain Dwarf)

The Devil of Caroc can be build as a Mad Hornet without problems - but her racial feats, her armored body and her stats make her more suitable for melee.

I still have 4 or 5 builds in the pipeline - but don't wait for those. Could take me weeks to finish my curr. playthrough with them and write the builds.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods