Most Difficult Characters  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most difficult characters to play?

• Amiri
    • Ezren
    • Harsk
    • Kyra
    • Lem
    • Lini
    • Merisiel
    • Sajan
    • Seelah
    • Seoni
    • Valeros

I see people posting about the best characters, but what about the lower tier, more difficult characters? I'd like to see what people think are the harder characters because I continually see people posting about how hard this game is. Perhaps figuring out who the lower tier characters are would help in developing strategies that use these characters effectively so newer players know how to utilize their party to their fullest.

Please pick four or five characters YOU think are the most difficult, and (if you would like) post why you think they are low tier.

• Like 2

Harsk is easily the least powerful character in the cast. Every one of his gimmicks is done better by someone else. His scouting power is worse than Seelah or Merisiel's. His powers and path force him into using bows, which underperform compared to melee weapons. In theory, his bow focus should give me good party combat support, but Ezren does that better. Like Seelah, his primary combat die is a piddly d8, but unlike her, he doesn't have an awesome roll boost baked into his kit, so he siphons off more party resources. He ain't so great.

Aside from that, I'd say Kyra and Valeros are the other underperformers. Healing just isn't that powerful in this game, and since that's Kyra's specialty she lags behind. Valeros is, more or less, a worse Lem. And I guess you can expand the list to include Lem if you're playing on legendary, where he struggles on account of the party usually being split up.

All that aside, none of the characters are so terrible that the game is unwinnable with them in the party. I'm quite sure you could clear every legendary scenario with a roster of Valeros, Harsk, Kyra, and lem. You'd probably just have to work a little harder to pull it off.

Edited by Nym
  • Like 1

I'm going to answer "difficult to play",  where "difficult to win with" would be a different answer.

Kyra does one thing very well, Heal.

But who needs that much healing?.  What others skills does she offer?

She excels at killing undead.  She is mediocre at other melee, useless at ranged, and has too few spells.

So technically, she is the most difficult character to play to get the most out of her.

For being such a weak character, you should maximize her blessings and use her as a buffing master. 

Give her an aid and Find Trap so she can help all the other characters out of a tight spot.  Her cure is used to pull her blessing out of her discard pile.

You are constantly trying to manage when to use the right blessing and/or spell, so there are many decisions, plus how do you build her?

This is more management than other characters require, so I put her in the most difficult to play.

Little shocked to see anyone voting Sajan. Anyone who can lug ten blessings is of great value to the party, even if they're not the best soloist.

Well, the poll is all about the most difficult characters to play, and even loving Sajan, I don't believe he is so easy to play. You have to put a serious thought when you have to assist another character and he is the only (or the best) viable choice to do that. He is somehow similar to Seoni: they both have very powerful features that may put the characters in danger in the hands of unwary players. He is not bad, not at all, but to manage him to do a good job is something that requires patience and strategy.

• Like 1

I don't think any of the characters are inherently bad, but some do take more thought and effort to use. I am planning on using this poll to do a Walkthrough/Let's Play to express my thoughts on each scenario and show players that the toughest combination of characters can easily go through the game. The reason I am picking the most difficult characters is because there will be more thought provoking situations to express my thought process in how I play the game. Just waiting on a couple more votes to break the tie for fourth most difficult before I get started.

• Like 1

I disagree with Harsk being weak. His ability to add 1d4+bonus to a combat check from any location he's not at is very helpful early on when everyone is separated. He also has the best Con score in the game. His scouting ability isn't bad either, allowing you to see what's next. 

Kyra and Sajan get my votes. Kyra is great at healing, but you don't need that much healing. Shes meh at everything else other than a d12 wisdom die, but Lini is better over all with d10 + d4 (Animal)

Sajan does have a lot of blessings, but he's greedy with them (Needs them to be somewhat viable in combat) and his damage roles are too swingy (Nothing like 1,1,2,3 on 4d10s)

• Like 1

My take on each character, from a 'start of game' point of view (you can find cards that compensate their deficiencies later on):

- Lem is perhaps the most versatile character of the game, excels in helping others but suffers to defeat his own monsters (needs offensive spells). Difficulty: Intermediate.

- Ezren's deck lacks blessings, but he does lots of things well and is also very resilient. Difficulty: intermediate.

- Valeros is almost immortal, and his main concern are WIS-based banes and monsters that need magical weapons. Difficulty: easy.

- Harsk can be very helpful to other characters, while being decent on combats himself. But he is not suited for soloing. Difficulty: easy (in a group; solo he is hard).

- Seelah is strong and versatile. Her main problems are not necessarily starting with a weapon and keeping track of that lone Cure spell. Difficulty: easy.

- Seoni has decent stats and can turn any card into a fire spell. But she burns her deck to attack, and that makes her the most likely character to die. Difficulty: intermediate (when healing is available; without a character who can heal her, she is hard).

- Sajan has lots of blessings, but there is a catch: he must keep them for himself! If he discards them to help the others, he won't last much... And when his hand of four becomes devoid of blessings, he becomes very vulnerable. Difficulty: hard.

- Lini's animal friends make her very versatile, but she has trouble handling many combats (Holy Light and Inflict are must-haves). Difficulty: intermediate.

- Kyra must find a weapon quickly and will need blessings in most combats, but her almost infinite healing will bring back all those blessings you have spent. Difficulty: easy.

- Amiri is very strong and can defeat most enemies easily, but also buries her deck while doing so. Her move ability is very useful, but she also has many vulnerable stats. Difficulty: intermediate (with healing available; hard without a healing character in the party).

- Merisiel can evade most things she isn't able to defeat, and that alone makes her very durable. She needs to find a weapon, but once you have found it, just keep her alone and she won't have any trouble in most combats. Difficulty: easy.

Roughly, that's it. But you can make your life harder or easier depending on how the characters you choose interact between themselves. That means that it's possible that a bunch of 'easy' characters might have a harder time beating the game than a group of 'hard' and 'intermediate' characters that have a good chemistry...

Cheers!

Mauricio

Edited by MauGibrin
  • Like 2

I disagree with Harsk being weak. His ability to add 1d4+bonus to a combat check from any location he's not at is very helpful early on when everyone is separated. He also has the best Con score in the game. His scouting ability isn't bad either, allowing you to see what's next. 

Kyra and Sajan get my votes. Kyra is great at healing, but you don't need that much healing. Shes meh at everything else other than a d12 wisdom die, but Lini is better over all with d10 + d4 (Animal)

Sajan does have a lot of blessings, but he's greedy with them (Needs them to be somewhat viable in combat) and his damage roles are too swingy (Nothing like 1,1,2,3 on 4d10s)

The problem is, everything Harsk earns off those 1d4+1s on other characters combat checks, he gobbles back up in party resources during his own combat checks. Unlike other location agnostic support characters like Ezren or Sajan, he has no way to buff his own damage dice and with only a d8 he chews up a lot of party blessing on higher difficulty monsters.

Sajan does need his own blessing sometimes, but he always recharges them on his own combat rolls, which gives him unrivalled flexibility. And I dunno how you can call his rolls swingy when Harsks is rolling a d8 to his d10

The problem is, everything Harsk earns off those 1d4+1s on other characters combat checks, he gobbles back up in party resources during his own combat checks. Unlike other location agnostic support characters like Ezren or Sajan, he has no way to buff his own damage dice and with only a d8 he chews up a lot of party blessing on higher difficulty monsters.

Sajan does need his own blessing sometimes, but he always recharges them on his own combat rolls, which gives him unrivalled flexibility. And I dunno how you can call his rolls swingy when Harsks is rolling a d8 to his d10

Hask has d8 +3 not just d8 for ranged. This means his range is 4 - 11, average 7.5

Sajan is rolling d10 +0. 1 - 10, average 5.5

NOOO Comparison in my mind.

PF is not about max rolls, it is about min rolls.

------------------------------------------------------------

Playing with

iPad mini 4th Gen iOS 10.3.3

Primary party

MERISIAL, EZREN, LINI, SEELAH

You are forgetting Harsk has a +3 bonus to ranged combat. That means although he rolls a weaker die, he will end up doing more damage on average. Sajan has no inital bonuses (and doesn't use weapons early on either) so his rolls are going to be very random. When you throw blessings in then sure the higher dice starts to get better, but I don't use blessings on combat checks often unless they are very dangerous. 

I find that Harsk holds his own with anyway, and rarely needs outside help due to his nice bonus to ranged. 

Of course theres plenty of different playstyles for this game, so where Sajan may fit yours, I feel he's weak for how I play. 

Yeah, this thread's a bit of a hot mess. :) What people are missing is the fact that there are two dimensions to a character: how easy it is to play that character well, and how powerful that character is. Being strong and being difficult to play are not mutually exclusive. If OP wanted "the other end of the spectrum," then the poll should have been titled simply "Who are the worst characters?"

I don't think there are any bad characters in RotR. (In S&S, there is one guy who just totally sucks: Seltiyel.) If I had to pick the weakest, they'd be Seoni because she bleeds cards like crazy and her main ability gets worse and worse with time, and Kyra because losing an exploration in large parties is almost always unacceptable.

Notice, though, that despite being weak, Seoni and Kyra are actually rather easy to play. Sajan is very powerful, but he's also quite challenging to play correctly, especially in the beginning when his deck size is small. Seelah and Amiri are two other examples of powerful characters who are difficult to play. Each has a boost ability that bleeds a card. Knowing when and when not to use these abilities can make or break a scenario. Use them too much, and you'll lose too many resources. Use them too little, and you'll fail critical rolls.

The hardest character to play is Lem. That swap ability of his is really easy to forget about. It's also tricky to juggle pairing him up versus sending him alone. The game usually rewards spreading out your characters, but it's tempting to give Lem a partner to make use of his 1d4 bonus ability. Finally, Lem is one of only two characters in the whole game (the other being Kyra) who has a real choice to make as far as skill feats are concerned. It takes a lot of game knowledge to determine whether Dex, Cha, or a split of each is the best option for Lem in any given party.

Edited by Borissimo
  • Like 4

Well the title of the poll is: 

What are the most difficult characters to play?

Seems pretty self explanatory to me.  Also, as evidenced by the poll, it's completely subjective.  Hence why the OP is looking for the community opinion.

For example I completely disagree with your assessment that Lem is the hardest character to play.  I love his vast arrays of abilities.  He's equally viable alone or as a booster.

Seoni and Kyra weak?  Are you kidding?!?!  

My Seoni is a beast.  Just bring some self healing cards (Father Zantus, staff minor healing) and she can't die since she auto-recharges almost everything. 

Kyra is a bane to the undead, and outsiders later.  We rarely use her to heal other folks, we try to be as self-sufficient as possible so Kyra becomes a boosting machine with all her blessings.  Lem is usually our more dedicated healer, or Seelah.

On the flip side, my group finds Sajan to be the hardest to play.  So many blessing that would be very useful to help the team but he can't handle combat on his own if he does.  And he doesn't really excel at anything so he's always needed help.  We'd rather bring Harsk or Merisiel.  

But again, I love that everyone has their own opinion/play style and that what works for one doesn't have to work for everyone.

I went with Amiri. You can kill her pretty easily if you aren't careful. Knowing when to bury a card and when to not is pretty key. And that is something that is hard to grasp right out of the gate, at least it was for me. And it is easy to way underestimate her moving power (I know I did for about 6 months).

Close second in my mind was Lem. But I think that is due more to how I try to play Lem. I give him weapon and 0 combat spells. He's got to hold on to that weapon. When he doesn't, things go bad quickly. But, I think that is more my style than Lem's character.

I see people posting about the best characters, but what about the lower tier, more difficult characters? I'd like to see what people think are the harder characters because I continually see people posting about how hard this game is. Perhaps figuring out who the lower tier characters are would help in developing strategies that use these characters effectively so newer players know how to utilize their party to their fullest.

Please pick four or five characters YOU think are the most difficult, and (if you would like) post why you think they are low tier.

Qualifier: hardest solo or in team?

I went with solo.

To be successful there are several factors:

Making checks.

Card cycling.

Encounter deck acceleration.

Intel.

Recovering from bad RNG.

The issue with Valeroes and Amiri is that they are too focused. They will shine in weapons combat...and not much else. And facing magic only or arcane only, divine only. etc...checks , you are done.

There no point on winning every combat check...if you cannot make that arcane or divine check to close a location.

Does a character have a way to go through encounter decks faster?

Does the character have a method to know what is coming?

For example, IMO the best soloer is Kyra, then Seelah. Kyra can make a broad range of checks and has enough item and ally slots to address some weaknesses such as barriers, dex checks, etc...once Kyra picks up Augury, she now has a way to sort and scout ahead in an encounter deck. Plus she can face undead that require magic to defeat from day 1 with a innate bonus to her check. And she can stock a cure spell to recover cards if she hits a bad RNG streak...and make no mistake YOU will. Note if you play Kyra solely as a healer, than she is not being fully used. All divine cards for her are healing. That means you could load her up with Inflict spells which gives her a decent combat check, and if she fails to recharge, then discard either a divine spell/blessing, etc. to get multiple cards back.

Seelah can make regular combat and divine checks. She cannot defeat magic banes which puts her slightly behind Kyra IMO at start. However she can add 1d6 to any check, and with Crusade so can zip through an encounter deck and get them closed much faster, giving you breathing room to go through the remaining ones with time to spare. When she gets a magic weapon, her life is good and she'll pass Kyra.

Lem is good because he can make arcane and divine, plus always start with a weapon, and have allies/items to addresses weak points...but his class power works with a group.

Seoni is fair, but she doesn't start with enough spells to benefit from her auto-recharge and her alternate attack powers discards cards u will need later and she has zero methods to recover from discards.

So best duo is probably Kyra and Seelah. You will almost never die, you'll know what's coming and can even change them, plus you can zip thru encounter decks at high speed.

Edited by Tiltowait
  • Like 1

Worst all-around has to be Zen Archer Sajan. He's weak at exploring. He's weak at staying alive. He has no utility to speak of. He has to kill himself to get anything done. A lot of that can be mitigated if you go Drunken Master, but even then he's a one trick pony.

Worst in a small group I'd say Harsk. His power is inversely proportional to the number of teammates he has.

... and Kyra because losing an exploration in large parties is almost always unacceptable....

That is what I thought prior to really using her more and realizing that she actually can explore even better than most because she can freely discard a bunch of allies/blessings to explore each turn and then just sacrifice the free move to heal them all back consistently. I think most every character has strengths and weaknesses and takes playing them correctly. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just recently came back to this game after the iPhone release.  I've got several playthroughs (up to adventure 4) under my belt with parties of varying size.   The biggest disagreement I have with what has previously been said is Harsk.  Harsk is wonderful in a group of pretty much any size.  It is true that on paper his main ability is inversely proportional to his party size, but in reality you have to really consider what you've done in a party where every character needs Harsk's boost.   1d4+X is clutch for some characters( looking at you Lem) but useless for others (Amani). So you really aren't using it too much of the time. In my latest party he goes after the bard and druid , because those 2 are usually the ones that need help most frequently, the other  3 rarely need anything.   Although it does take some planning to get ful optimization.  I find myself pitching items that I know he will not need on his next check, for buffs and if I find I pitched something I need I simply move to a different area.  I find moving him and seelah around each other to be great.  Harsk can find the dull short swords for seelah to bury, but keep her from shipping that +2 longsword.  Being highly mobile is the key to maximizing party utility- and getting people to the places they need to be to perform their best.   Harsk enables and embodies this better than most.  

Also I find that he is definitely the (lower part of the) top tier of holding his own in combat.  Once he is decked out in all magic weapons I never consider using a blessing for him on any but the strongest enemies (where in all honesty I would feel very unease about even sending Amani in without backup)  Picking the right allies, items and card upgrades is pretty important as well, because you do need to stack dex for combat, but with the right support mix nothing else is really much of a problem.  On legendary, depending on wildcards, the math does get dicey sometimes, but that is the point of legendary.

knowing when to not waste some resources on a half-hearted long shot combat and just burying an armor is helpful in this regard as well.

The biggest problem I've found with Harsk is that he really cannot get through a location deck in a timely fashion. (with the above loadout) but that isn't really his job. 

much like I've learned with the other characters, if you think harsk is weak you are probably playing him wrong. I know that I had written the monk off until I saw him in capable hands in a tabletop pickup game. That made me re-evaluate how I was thinking about his role in the party. I consider the monk the most difficult 

Lem Is super versatile, but how you develop him is very group dependent.  His power is undeniable, but very tricky to optimize because of the versatility.  Combat is never going to be great for him, without a lot of focus at the expense of other options. I find that trade off to be too much. ymmv.

Lem is my favorite character, imo he really is the best all-arounder.

a couple of the other characters can blow through their decks quickly, but for them its all about pacing.  Knowing when to go and when slow down.  In general I find that when i'm doing everything right, and the rng isn't too deviated,  no one gets in a situation where they "NEED" a cure spell.  (lots of recharging and incidental topping off, but I consider that doing everything right.)

The real difficulty of a character doesn't come In knowing how to play them (monk aside) but in knowing how to best utilize their skills in your current party makeup.  How do they slot in to the rest of the group. Some characters this is very strait forward others it is not.  That is likely why Harsk / Lem get credited as less desirable. 

Disclaimer, I've never played Val, experience with ezren is limited to card version.  
current team is brd, dru, rng,  sor, brb.pal

Edited by bein
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Players, thanks for this. Super helpful!

I'm playing Android version & have to carefully select which characters to buy (or spend $25, which I can't swing right now).

My current team is Merisiel, Kyra, Ezren, Harsk, and Valeros. I enjoy them all. From what I've read here, all characters are versatile enough to be fun.

None of my characters seem hard, so I'm not sure I can answer the question. I'm on here looking for level up suggestions/builds for heroes.

I've noticed that a few level ups rounds off the toughest parts of each: hand size for Val + weaps, Kyra needs that flaming hammer (!!) & a few good non-cure spells, Merisiel benefits from items, Harsk seems set with magic armor & weapons, and Ezren's spell makeup helps + that recharge boost skill is huge.

Edited by REkzkaRZ

None of my characters seem hard, so I'm not sure I can answer the question. I'm on here looking for level up suggestions/builds for heroes.

I've noticed that a few level ups rounds off the toughest parts of each: hand size for Val + weaps, Kyra needs that flaming hammer (!!) & a few good non-cure spells, Merisiel benefits from items, Harsk seems set with magic armor & weapons, and Ezren's spell makeup helps + that recharge boost skill is huge.

Harsk will never be great at combat by himself, but make sure to boost his d4+X to a combat at another location, and don't be afraid to recharge his whole hand (except a good weapon) for off-turn assistance. Everyone else will appreciate it, and the amount of blessings/support spells you'll save by making a combat a sure thing with Harsk's recharge only will more than make up for his slow explore rate.

• Like 1

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think any of the characters are inherently bad, but some do take more thought and effort to use. I am planning on using this poll to do a Walkthrough/Let's Play to express my thoughts on each scenario and show players that the toughest combination of characters can easily go through the game. The reason I am picking the most difficult characters is because there will be more thought provoking situations to express my thought process in how I play the game. Just waiting on a couple more votes to break the tie for fourth most difficult before I get started.

Well that changes things some. Throwing all the toughest characters together is probably not the toughest combination.

The toughest combination I've played with thus far is Amiri, Harsk and Seoni. Mostly because they have zero healing ability, but two of three also have fairly limited ability to loop their decks. I'm on the fence as to whether swapping any of them out might make it harder - Seoni becomes fairly self-supporting once she gets a staff of minor healing and some other characters (Valeros?) might have more trouble. (OTOH I feel Valeros is able to protect himself better, so Seoni may be the more vulnerable - she does tend to spend long periods of time with only one or two cards in deck...) And of course Harsk getting his Divine skill and some flavor of cure would also make a significant difference. (Until then, though, he's the most fragile of the three - and it might not make *that* much difference as he'll have trouble recharging it.)

I also feel three (maybe four) characters is the level where lack of healing bites you the most - more characters means that each has fewer turns and is thus less likely to take enough damage to die, but fewer characters means you have enough time to save blessings for support instead of exploring. (Also, with fewer characters your support blessings more often need to be saved for closing locations and can't be thrown at combat.)

Lack of healing is probably the biggest hole you can have in a party - I guess the only ones that might rival it are lack of strong fighters (but that probably means you have strong support characters) and lack of support (vice versa).

Of course, most difficult party probably doesn't correspond to most interesting gameplay, and a party of, say, Lem, Sajan, Seelah, and Amiri might see you making more interesting choices than the one I named.

Sajan is hard because he is only good with blessings in hand. Can't really afford to use them for exploring, and you need to do at least one a battle typically.

Amiri is hard because she burns out so fast. And we're talking bury... once she is out, it's not a matter of cure.

Lem is hard because his passive is one of his best abilities to add to checks to other chars at same location. Plus his core ability requires recharge... so, when his turn comes, his hand tends to be empty. He is pretty much 100% support, and is not the guy you want fighting anything.

Lini is hard because she HAS to have a animal or she is kinda handicapped. Also, she defaults to no weapon.

Harsk is hard because he doesn't have big all around combat bonuses, plus, while his sniper shot is solid... you can not be at the same location and use it.

The party you play isn't just about individual strength.

Synergy.... kyra has naughty that she can turn into heals... so no need for single cure spells on her, load her with attack and support. High wis means she can solo wis close locations.

Selah is a Jack of all trades. Her ability to add a die can recharge blessings and spells, so it is spammable. Her ability is very good at digging through decks, so is basically up to two extra explores a turn. She can handle closing locations outside her main line of bonuses.

Ezren... he has alot of spells, and Alot of items, and a nice chunk of allies, and can spell cycle, and gets extra explore when He finds spells. He is a beast at support, and can hold his own in combat as long as he can use spells.

Seoni is a powerhouse. Auto recharge spells and many items. You can get it to where she only has her hand size in her deck, and you are constantly cycling those spells over and over. Just don't take damage.

Valeros. A bit slow, but can infinitely use the discard abilities of weapons. Also gives a good passive buff to characters at the same location.

Meris... meri. She is ok in combat when solo, but can skip past nastier battles.

Now, one of the biggest things about the party is the range of closing abilities. Have a Dec closer. A wis. A cha. A int. A str/con. And a Jack of all trades.

It allows me to have everyone EFFECTIVELY solo locations with minimal support

• 1 month later...

Lini is the best character in the game, solo or not. Her d4+ on any check is broken. I took WW and +4 on that power, and almost never use my animals to explore, so she can't fail any check. I would say Ezren and Sajan, because you have to play Ezren right giving him support spells as well as attacks, because he doesn't get any blessings, and Sajan has a lot of blessings, but the only thing he can really do is explore or spend his blessings on his own checks.

Edited by Urtar37