Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

AMD Vega Roadmap

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

When did selling pre-fab liquid cooled cards become a thing? I only ever remember after market kits.

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

It's ludicrous. I want one though. Might be because I really wanted a Fury back when.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2321 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I bought a 550W PSU because I decided 650 would be overkill and draws were going down... and it ought to be OK for any of the three consumer cards, if only just for the liquid cooled one. Might be moot anyway, the preorder pricing here is $500 more than a 1080Ti which is a joke plain and simple. Hopefully placeholder as otherwise you'd have to be mad to buy one.

Quite marked the difference between AMD processor and graphics though, I cannot get my 1700 above 65 degrees (OK, it is winter) even with Prime95 on the default Spire but that temp could well be Vega's idle temp.

Some leaked Vega56 leaked benchmarks, which do look very competitive.

When did selling pre-fab liquid cooled cards become a thing? I only ever remember after market kits.

2 years ago with FuryX I guess, it's kind of an AMD thing now since the prosumer VegaFEs had an option for it as well.

Edited by Zoraptor, 02 August 2017 - 10:25 PM.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1360 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Vega pretty much catches up to the 1070 and 1080, but considering the price it is not exactly competitive. but i think Vega is more of a tech demo for the developers than a card meant to wrestle a chunk of the market out of nvidia's hands.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2321 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It's competitive, at MSRP. Vega56 especially so. Doesn't look like MSRP is going to stick any more than it has with 580s (and 1070s for that matter) so who knows how competitive the pricing will end up being. The whole production cycle sounds like a bit of a mess though, since it seems they've had to switch memory providers and the like. I'm still pretty keen to pick up a V56 assuming end pricing isn't totally stupid, but it would be around christmas and an AIB rather than reference.

Their end goal is obviously to do a 'proper' APU system, this is a rather messy early step along that path.

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6783 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
  • Steam:Keyrock

My guess is that AMD's insistence on using HBM has hurt it, at least in the short term.  So far, Nvidia has eschewed using HBM in its consumer-grade GPUs and it hasn't cost them at all.  As of right now, the benefits of HBM for gaming seem to be nonexistent, GDDR5 is still doing just fine.  That may, of course, change in the future.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2321 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

AMD has a stake in HBM, iirc, which is why they use it. Theoretically its benefit is being able to use less of it for the same effect which ought to use less power and be cheaper even if it's more expensive per GB. They've got stung because it's new, and the main manufacturer (Hynix) hasn't been able to produce the chips they promised so they're using slower chips and trying to make up the performance in other ways- presumably, from the power draw and water cooling, overvolting. If they can get the memory up to speed Vega RXI could get a decent 'free' performance boost and power draw drop at the same time which would help competitiveness, but that's all conjecture and won't help now.

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6783 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
  • Steam:Keyrock

I think HBM is the future, it's just not necessary yet.  The extra bandwith, for gaming applications, is overkill at the moment, GDDR5's bandwith is still plenty.  At some point, GDDR5 won't be enough, that point is not here yet.  Hopefully the HBM gambit pans out for AMD in the long run and they catch up to Nvidia.  As a consumer, I want the 2 companies as competitive as possible across the board.  I guess the best bit of good news for AMD is consumer-grade Volta getting delayed until 2018, as I expect Volta to mop the floor with everything that's out today.

Edited by Keyrock, 18 August 2017 - 03:22 PM.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1360 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

My guess is that AMD's insistence on using HBM has hurt it, at least in the short term.  So far, Nvidia has eschewed using HBM in its consumer-grade GPUs and it hasn't cost them at all.  As of right now, the benefits of HBM for gaming seem to be nonexistent, GDDR5 is still doing just fine.  That may, of course, change in the future.

this is why i call it a tech demo. the features in this card go unused by today's games but they offer solutions to eternal limitations of game design (HBM most of all) so if they convince developers to take advantage of these features, you could see a big leap in the future. 

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2321 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Still no custom Vega cards released, but on the other hand the reference v56 are available here for a decent price at 750NZD and ~80NZD less than a 1070Ti. Since I can still sell my 580 for a decent amount a v56 card and a new monitor are on the menu for Christmas.

Only drawback is that 1440p is probably the natural res for a v56 card but we only have have 1 IPS freesync monitor available in the whole country apparently.

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit annoyed by that, was hoping they'd release some form of custom card. I managed to get a hold of a R9 Fury for now wich does the job well enough, but I really had wanted a Vega.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users