AMD Vega Roadmap

Bokishi

There has been a significant delay on pretty much every die shrink that I can remember.  I'll be shocked if we see 7nm by 2020, much less before then.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

GlobalFoundries is skipping 10nm altogether so 2018 isn't an impossibility, but it does sound like PR talk where everything magically works out with no problems what so ever.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I'm waiting on Vega, myself. I plan on a full AMD rig with Zen and Vega. I am definitely not sold on the 7nm part being real. They JUST hit 14nm with Polaris and will do it with CPUs/APUs with Zen... I highly doubt they would be able to move that fast to 7nm. It just isn't feasible. They need to make a few bucks on the 14nm process before moving on.

I'm always ready to eat my words, though. If it is true and at an even remotely affordable price point... Consider it bought.

So, it seems Vega 20 is on the road map for 2019. 

http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-vega-20-navi-7nm-finfet-globalfoundries/

I take anything I read on wccftech with buckets of salt, but 2019 is much more believable.   Three years is much more doable to move from 14nm to 7nm.   So, I am just going to get Vega 10, 11, or whatever.  My 780 is aging by the minute, and I don't think 2019 is in the cards. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

7nm is not impossible but highly improbable so close to the 14nm debut.

however the future, according to earlier roadmaps, is more into the effort to make 90+% crossfire efficiency the norm by making the hardware more autonomous on the use of CF, thus removing the "game to game" results based on how much effort the developer put into CF

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

• 9 months later...

Eh, Vega is not looking so hot right now, I'm not without hope right now, but I'm not feeling particularly hopeful about it's performance or glad about the prospect of giving nVidia my money...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Eh, Vega is not looking so hot right now, I'm not without hope right now, but I'm not feeling particularly hopeful about it's performance or glad about the prospect of giving nVidia my money...

I don't really have any brand loyalty or ideological objection to either company, not one that would sway my purchasing decision, anyway.  I am simply concerned with getting the best performance for my money, whether the company making that card kills kittens or not.  Everything I've heard about Vega lately is very worrying, I hope it's wrong.  If Vega can't even compete with Pascal then it will likely get absolutely demolished by Volta, which is just around the corner, and if Nvidia has no competition then they can charge whatever ridiculous prices they want.  Let's hope when the "gaming" Vega cards release they perform a lot better that what the scuttlebut is.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I've been waiting for Vega for forever. I usually go with the brand that's doing worse at the time in regards to market share, which seems to almost always be AMD, and this will be a very hard buy for me if the worst-case scenario comes to fruition.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I don't really have any brand loyalty per se, but I really don't want to support shady companies, which nVidia is. They're underhanded as ****, pushing companies to do illogical things just to demolish ATi/AMD's cards performance just to get a bigger marketshare.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

How much is premature hype just a tactic to seek some immediate invesments. Even if managers believe in a 2018 target I'm sure the engineers and many others in the production pipeline are thinking differently. But what really matters is they keep selling their upswing and comeback.

The Founder's Edition may well have been released just to make the deadline AMD set for itself in its investor statements, but they cannot delay Vega much more than they have. If it's a fundamentally poor architecture then they're unlikely to find a silver bullet this far down the line to suddenly make it better, and at some point they have to start getting Navi ready. FE release has been very odd though, it's clearly in some respects a very good value professional card, but in others it's seen genuinely baffling choices and drivers etc are obviously underdone. Mainly it seems like a really odd choice for a first release since at least if you release a fully pro card or a fully consumer card you can focus on getting one type of driver polished up, a prosumer card needs both to be decent since it will be tested for games and professional tasks, and it seems neither really are.

The FE rather reminds me of the GTX 480 regarding performance / watt and release date compared to the competitor at the time. Let's see what the RX brings, otherwise Vega 20 / Navi... For once, it's feels like AMD's CPU business saving their GPU business' ass instead of it being the other way around as it has been the past few years ;)

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

lol R600 Sequel

Que? My I don't remember much from that time, too much WoW rot, lost alot of memories when I dug that **** out

R600 was similar 10 years ago. Overhyped, was to be faster than the 8800 GTX. Was going to kick Nvidia's ass and make them drive down their prices. Complications arose and then finally released as a budget card HD 2900 XT and was slower than even the 8800 GT

• Like 1

Ah, I missed the hype and all surrounding it, I didn't upgrade from my X800 until I got a HD5850.

• 4 weeks later...

The gaming Vegas have been officially unveiled. Not as bad as some would have had it but they won't be giving nVidia nightmares, that's for sure, and are well below 1080Ti/ Titan. There's some fairly aggressive bundling on offer as well, which suggests they know that it's underwhelming otherwise. Links more links

I'll probably pick one up towards christmas along with a new monitor- I don't want and would never pay for 1080ti/ Titan performance anyway so the very top end is completely irrelevant to me. If 580s remain massively overpriced due to mining and I can get one for effectively a hundred bucks by flicking on the 580 I may even go sooner, a bundle deal with a few hundred off a monitor would be extremely tempting.

Damn, I'm so massively torn about Vega. Acceptable performance, but holy hell that TDP!

Fermi called, it wanted it's gimmick back!

It's ludicrous. I want one though. Might be because I really wanted a Fury back when.

I bought a 550W PSU because I decided 650 would be overkill and draws were going down... and it ought to be OK for any of the three consumer cards, if only just for the liquid cooled one. Might be moot anyway, the preorder pricing here is $500 more than a 1080Ti which is a joke plain and simple. Hopefully placeholder as otherwise you'd have to be mad to buy one.

Quite marked the difference between AMD processor and graphics though, I cannot get my 1700 above 65 degrees (OK, it is winter) even with Prime95 on the default Spire but that temp could well be Vega's idle temp.

Some leaked Vega56 leaked benchmarks, which do look very competitive.

When did selling pre-fab liquid cooled cards become a thing? I only ever remember after market kits.

2 years ago with FuryX I guess, it's kind of an AMD thing now since the prosumer VegaFEs had an option for it as well.

Edited by Zoraptor

• 3 weeks later...

Vega pretty much catches up to the 1070 and 1080, but considering the price it is not exactly competitive. but i think Vega is more of a tech demo for the developers than a card meant to wrestle a chunk of the market out of nvidia's hands.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

It's competitive, at MSRP. Vega56 especially so. Doesn't look like MSRP is going to stick any more than it has with 580s (and 1070s for that matter) so who knows how competitive the pricing will end up being. The whole production cycle sounds like a bit of a mess though, since it seems they've had to switch memory providers and the like. I'm still pretty keen to pick up a V56 assuming end pricing isn't totally stupid, but it would be around christmas and an AIB rather than reference.

Their end goal is obviously to do a 'proper' APU system, this is a rather messy early step along that path.