Do I need to purchase Adventure Decks for Quest Mode?

Enjoying the game (bugs aside), but I've found that Quest Mode is where I prefer to play, slowly grinding up everyone in parallel and constantly switching my party around and swapping items.

I'm wondering if, given that, there is any reason for me to purchase the Adventure Decks? Do they add more cards to the quest card pool, or open up more locations for play?

I've hit the grinding wall around level 18 and all I have are Sandpoint, Lost Coast and Magnimar, but I'm not sure if that's because of my Tier or because I haven't bought anything past Burnt Offerings.

Quest is separate from Story, so the first unlocks automatically Tiers (similar to AD pack) at specific levels (10, 20, 30, 40, ...) of your characters when the second need to acquire them (or buying the bundle). Then the higher char in your current party leads the final selected Tier.

Story mode is the complete (we hope very soon) original game version, based on the physical tabletop game. Quest mode is an adaptation to give players a long term playtime when they already completed Story, so it works differently and have different pool of boons and banes and miss some specific structured scenarios (like "Here comes the Flood"). So Quest is funny for sure, but, if I can give you a suggestion, don't miss the Story because that is the real core of the game and the stronger construction of game developers mate.

• Like 1

I think Tiers are really independent in the actual game version mate. AD purchases are required in Story when you want to go forward, but in Quest Tiers unlocks are just rewards for level up. But it's rare a player not interested in the Story. To confirm that anyway he has to level up to 10 any character and check if there are new maps, banes and boons.

• Like 1

I think Tiers are really independent in the actual game version mate. AD purchases are required in Story when you want to go forward, but in Quest Tiers unlocks are just rewards for level up. But it's rare a player not interested in the Story. To confirm that anyway he has to level up to 10 any character and check if there are new maps, banes and boons.

He mentions he's already lvl 18 - but has not bought any adventures. If I'm right (which would be logical with the vault rules), he shouldn't get any new locations at lvl 20.

Maybe you get new "map layouts", but the actual locations in a quest are unlocked per deck?

Edit:

Reading http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lit2 makes me believe the location/henchman pool is as Redpred says, but the banes/boons are part of the vault.

Edited by Pengw1n
  • Like 1

You should be able to F2P your way up to lvl 40 without spending any gold or cash.  Like you said, we haven't heard of it happening because everyone likely picks up the adventure decks as they earn enough gold.  

Quest mode uses modified deck lists anyway.  At tier 1, you already have access to a bunch of AD2, 3, and 4 cards.  The only "unlockables" quest mode checks for are Treasure cards, C deck, and Promo cards.

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Villains and Henchmen certainly aren't tied to Adventure Deck purchases, because I have on occasion been subject to Caizarlu Zellen as a villain, albeit rarely.

I'll push on to level 20 and see if anything new opens up, then maybe buy an AD and see if it makes a difference. For science!

• Like 1

Oh, and on the Story vs Quest point, I should say that I'm a long time PF GM and I own all the card game boxed sets, so we've played through that on my regular game nights with my friends, and thus I've kind of experienced Story mode already.

But the party management for Story online seems fiddly and awkward, so I find quest lets me play with the full roster and swap people in and out as I wish.

Update :

As far as the decks and locations go, I'm not sure if it's still a bit buggy or if it's due to me not buying more AD's, but in quest mode I never (despite having everyone up at around 18, so plenty runs) seen General Store, Temple or Treacherous Cove as locations, despite them being basics.

Likewise I never see any of the T1 locations except Junk Beach and Glassworks, both of which I get frequently. Which is weird, I'd have thought I'd at least see Swallowtail Festival and Rusty Dragon given 1/3 of my quest runs are Sandpoint scenarios.

The location selection just baffles me to be honest. 

Edited by Innocent Bystander
  • Like 1

Well, I got to 20 and there seems to be some new bosses cropping up (Justice Ironbriar and various Henchmen), plus a bunch of new cards dropping.

I'm getting stuff from deck 3 despite my highest guy being 20, and I still only see 3 possible adventure locations (Sandpoint, Magnimar and Lost Coast). Still no sign whatsoever of the General Store and a few other locations, I'm assuming they're just missing from the quest deck completely.

Next plan is to buy the first AD after Burnt Offerings and see if that makes a difference. I'll post an update in a few days once I've ground up 4k gold.

Have to say to the devs, it would be *very* nice if there was some kind of reference to exactly what the valid list of villains, locations etc are available in quest mode for the game to select from. Because it seems like a bit of a shame to keep cycling the same locations over and over again when I know there are at least a dozen more locations available through the end of Burnt Offerings which simply never show up.

Wait, what? Quest mode doesn't allow me to switch characters. Even after death always the exact same character and the same adventure. Meri doesn't do well against ancient skeles and arcane checks.

Have you found and toggled New/Experienced characters in the Manage Party UI. It maybe you are defaulted and looking at the Experienced Characters you have ( only Meri )..try clicking on New to show unleveled Characters.