The US Election 2016, Part VII

Pidesco

The VII installment of this thread is here. Complete with too many CG cutscenes, terrible gameplay and the death of Aeris.

The latest news are Colin Powell's leaked e-mails, which include lots of juicy bits on both candidates.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Pretty easy to see why Powell has been so chill about his emails leaking, doesn't seem to be anything there for him to be embarrassed about aside from some honest opinions that most people who aren't the target of them would either openly or tacitly agree with. Worst you can say is that he's a bit gossipy at times.

Shame he didn't run in 2000, then again that also means he also didn't get Roved so fair enough that he didn't.

I'm still waiting for an email that leaks the details of how many delicious houseflies and glasses of lizard drink Hillary consumes each day, plus details on how expensive it is to import those drinks from her home planet.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I'm still waiting for an email that leaks the details of how many delicious houseflies and glasses of lizard drink Hillary consumes each day, plus details on how expensive it is to import those drinks from her home planet.

Ah come on, it's clear they bring them through a dimensional gate, which we all know is very cost effective.  

• Like 1

And here I thought we were bonding through our disagreement. 

Me telling you that I disagree with your premise and your conclusions and think you're pretty much wrong on all possible accounts shouldn't really interfere with that aim, should it. I wasn't calling you a big ol' poo-poo head, was I?

Saying that it is not exactly the issue you present it to be is not the same as saying it's not any issue at all.

And saying "you don't have the relevant data to make the comparison you made with any degree of reliability" is not the same as saying "you're saying it's not any issue at all". All I'm asking is a little bit of humility and recognizing the limits of your knowledge, no need to jump on your sword mate.

Guess your point is I can't talk about a charge leveled against me because I've never faced it. 

No, my point is that claiming what basically amounts to "I think being called a racist is worse than racism itself" may be just a little bit unfortunate.

Which amounts to telling me to shut up and agree you because you speak with authority. But I kith that this is an issue where you long for the final say. 

I think you need to read my posts extremely uncharitably in order to arrive on that conclusion.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

If she loves cheddar cheese, odds are good she's a lizard. I know from personal experience that lizards go absolutely bonkers and forget all shyness when there is cheddar to be had.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's come to this. Colin Powell's gossip about the candidates in personal emails hacked by some unknown source. If it's news, no matter unseemly the source, it's news. This stuff ain't even news. I like Powell, but his views are naïve. They come from years of service to his country not of the political variety.

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

Meh, she subsists entirely on the blood of virgins, and collapses whenever they can't find some fresh one.
  • Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

It's come to this. Colin Powell's gossip about the candidates in personal emails hacked by some unknown source. If it's news, no matter unseemly the source, it's news. This stuff ain't even news. I like Powell, but his views are naïve. They come from years of service to his country not of the political variety.

What is naive about his views as shown in these e-mails?

Heja Sverige!!

Meh, she subsists entirely on the blood of virgins, and collapses whenever they can't find some fresh one.

Getting harder and harder to find em fresh, apparently.

What is naïve about his [Powell's] views as show in these e-mails?

Same stuff you hear from many. Get money out of the system. The smart people should get together and follow some specific agenda. Stuff like that. I admire Powell, but I think the generalizations in his emails fall short of a workable agenda. At least what I've read so far. Still think the Americans should vote for him over Trump or Hillary. That way they can have a Republican who's really a Democrat so everyone is happy.

Edited by Pidesco

This is an interesting (albeit very long)  article on what an American journalist thinks about what European journalists thing about the US election: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/09/16/postcard_from_europe_how_the_us_election_plays_there_131807.html

Personally if I want to know what Europeans think about anything I'll come to a forum like this and ask them.But that's me.

You know there is one thing I am always surprised about. How interested everyone is in the electoral process here. How invested they get in the outcome. Don't get me wrong, I follow politics in a lot of other nations but it's more out of curiosity than anything else. I've never been personally invested in which party ends up forming the government in Canada, or Great Britain, or elsewhere.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This is an interesting (albeit very long)  article on what an American journalist thinks about what European journalists thing about the US election: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/09/16/postcard_from_europe_how_the_us_election_plays_there_131807.html

Personally if I want to know what Europeans think about anything I'll come to a forum like this and ask them.But that's me.

You know there is one thing I am always surprised about. How interested everyone is in the electoral process here. How invested they get in the outcome. Don't get me wrong, I follow politics in a lot of other nations but it's more out of curiosity than anything else. I've never been personally invested in which party ends up forming the government in Canada, or Great Britain, or elsewhere.

For me it's because America leads and other countries follow.  I know Britain and America have a history, but I think politicians here follow what your leaders do in America.  Just the other day I heard our government wants to label a terrorist act as a "Anti Muslim activity".  I see this as a link to Obama's PC policies, and am sure I don't need to go into how disrespectful to people who have lost their lives, and how divisive I think this language policing is.

• Like 2

The only appropriate answer:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Thought of a shorter less lecture-y response: Because life is so boring elsewhere, it's more fun to complain bout the American president. Edited by quidproquo

Well, really who is in the White House used to not matter so much as who controlled Congress. Our government is supposed to be designed so each branch is a check on the other. The President is a check on the Supreme Court, the Court is a check on the Congress and the Congress is a check on the President. Unfortunately Congress has rolled over on it's back and pissed on itself these last 16 years as the last two Presidents did whatever the f--k they pleased. Obama in particular has done a great deal of damage to the balance of power between the Executive and Legislature. That imbalance my soon be in the hands of Donald Trump. Not good. If a Trump Presidency causes Congress to wake up and remember who and what they are and to reassert themselves it may be the greatest service Trump could ever give his country. I'm not holding my breath though. The President is not supposed to be the driving force of the USA by themselves. In foreign policy then yes. The President of the United States plays a huge role in that. But as far as the ability to shape the country the President has far less power than most folks realize. Although now they will have far more power than they should. Until Congress remembers that are congress.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

In this election, it is two fold for me. For one, and this is true of any election the US and its policies have a definite effect on the world, so it is something that I feel affects me. The second and more important one is the slow rise of the extreme right in America, of which the Trump phenomenon is a terrible symptom, Regardless of the outcome, this is worrying and it is both a consequence of global forces pushing the population, and the Republican Party pushing an agenda of ignorance among its base over the past 40 years,

That the horrible positions taken by Republicans over the past decades in issues like health insurance, women's health, climate change, religion, science, gun control and taxes led to this election.

The fact that someone so much in the pocket of corporate interests, like Clinton is, gets my unwavering support is a terrible indictment of Republicans.

Republicans talk about how Trump is a terrible break from Republican tradition, but he really is the logical culmination of the party's evolution since the democrats gave them the racist vote on a silver platter. The only thing Trump did to win the primary was go farther in his fear-mongering and extremism than his opponents were willing to go.

So the rise of the extreme right in Western civilization interests me because it is in direct opposition to the cushy, relatively safe life we have enjoyed since the extreme right was soundly defeated in WW2.

Heja Sverige!!

"So the rise of the extreme right in Western civilization interests me because it is in direct opposition to the cushy, relatively safe life we have enjoyed since the extreme right was soundly defeated in WW2".

That's pretty heavy.  I think I'll take a break from posting on these forums for a while, but with all due respect - please look up how many Admirals, Generals, and Medal of Honor citizens of America have placed their support and faith in Donal Trump.

All the best.

In this election, it is two fold for me. For one, and this is true of any election the US and its policies have a definite effect on the world, so it is something that I feel affects me. The second and more important one is the slow rise of the extreme right in America, of which the Trump phenomenon is a terrible symptom, Regardless of the outcome, this is worrying and it is both a consequence of global forces pushing the population, and the Republican Party pushing an agenda of ignorance among its base over the past 40 years,

That the horrible positions taken by Republicans over the past decades in issues like health insurance, women's health, climate change, religion, science, gun control and taxes led to this election.

The fact that someone so much in the pocket of corporate interests, like Clinton is, gets my unwavering support is a terrible indictment of Republicans.

Republicans talk about how Trump is a terrible break from Republican tradition, but he really is the logical culmination of the party's evolution since the democrats gave them the racist vote on a silver platter. The only thing Trump did to win the primary was go farther in his fear-mongering and extremism than his opponents were willing to go.

So the rise of the extreme right in Western civilization interests me because it is in direct opposition to the cushy, relatively safe life we have enjoyed since the extreme right was soundly defeated in WW2.

OK, most of the issues you just mentioned affect no one outside the United States. How can health insurance, gun control, etc. seem so horrible when they have no impact on you? I'm not picking on you Pidesco, I'm genuinely curious.

As for the current political passions of the right, I wouldn't worry about it. In the US both passion and politics are cyclical. This too shall pass and sooner than you think. The reason why we have Trump now is there were like 17 candidates and support was spread so thin between them for so long by the time there were few enough to coalesce it was already too late and all we were left with was frick and frack, I mean Trump and Cruz. The truth is the base was not going to tolerate Republican lite and like 10 of the candidates met that description. Had Jeb Bush not damaged Rubio, had Scott Walker not been damaged by Christies and others and had there been 6-7 fewer candidates before Iowa & NH this would have worked out differently. Remember Trump was not winning more than 30% of any vote. But with 10-17 names on the ballot that was more than enough.  

Besides, Presidential candidates say a lot of things and promise a lot of things they can't do. As I said before, a President is not all powerful. They are not even all THAT powerful when Congress controls the money. That's why you heave read me saying no matter who wins I hope congress is controlled by the other party.

Thomas Sowell

That's pretty heavy.  I think I'll take a break from posting on these forums for a while, but with all due respect - please look up how many Admirals, Generals, and Medal of Honor citizens of America have placed their support and faith in Donal Trump.

Which is supposed to be relevant... how?

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Which is supposed to be relevant... how?

Seems about as relevant as Pidesco's screed. Course, I didn't make it on the "gets to decide what's relevant committee," so I'm just speaking as a concerned citizen.

Personally, I think Chippy should keep up the good fight. Then again, I think everyone on all sides should keep up the good fight. Why not? Politics, like race relations and religion, is the best in forum fodder. Unless someone figures out a way crawl through the internets and assault someone else, safe place to spar.

Far as Pidesco blaming Republicans for Hillary Clinton, was splendid. Literally made me chuckle to see it.