The US Election 2016, Part VII

Pidesco

*urge to punch rising*

:lol:

you incorrigible

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Fear is a powerful motivator but I won't be scared or shamed into voting for a candidate that I do not support. I dislike if you aren't with us then you are against us arguments. People may disagree but it's my vote so... :shrugz:

I do not support Trump either, the only good thing about him being elected will be all the butthurt and while that may be fun for a few days or months I doubt it would be worth it while we are eating old shoe soup with a side of people in a post apocalyptic wasteland

In other news, the Senate is getting ready to override Obama's veto on the 9/11 bill

Who are the families going to sue, I dont understand the objective? We know there was funding from Saudi Arabia but this was not official and was from  Saudis who support Islamic extremism ...but its not from the Saudi government ? See below from the article 

" The Saudi government denies any role in those attacks, and the 9/11 Commission found no evidence that the Saudi government as an institution or senior Saudi officials were involved. Fifteen of the 19 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia, though. And there have long been suspicions that some of the hijackers received support during their time in the U.S. from individuals with possible connections to the Saudi Kingdom " 

The bill isn't that long actually.   Maybe actually reading it might answer your questions. 

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/2040/text

Edit: And just to clarify- do not interpret anything in this post as an endorsement of the JASTA legislation. 

Edited by kgambit

The Senate has had an override vote, 97-1. Have to admit I'm kind of surprised, I was sure they'd let it dangle until the lame duck session and then forget about it. Guess that's exactly the sort of margin a veto override was designed for.

(Obama is probably right to have vetoed it, and I say that despite loathing the Saudi state pretty much wholesale, as it opens a whole reciprocal can of worms. The US don't really want Pakistan suing them for drone strikes, Laos suing them for unexploded ordnance, Chile suing them for Pinochet, El Salvador suing them for School of the Americas etc etc etc etc)

• Like 2

Obama has done enough on his own to undermine his legacy. racism, bending over and kissing the butt of Ameirkan enemies like Iran, being a coward, hatefulness, and fearmongering are his legacies. Good job, Obama. Every police shooting, every riot, every black mother shot by a BLM supporter is 90% on Obama and his policies.

And GD thinks you have deep insights on the reality of the US political system?

:lol:  When the heck did I ever say such a thing????

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, I don't get it. The first time in awhile we see a solid bipartisan vote and it is for a terrible piece of legislature.

People would think they hate 9/11 families or some BS.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Obama has done enough on his own to undermine his legacy. racism, bending over and kissing the butt of Ameirkan enemies like Iran, being a coward, hatefulness, and fearmongering are his legacies. Good job, Obama. Every police shooting, every riot, every black mother shot by a BLM supporter is 90% on Obama and his policies.

And GD thinks you have deep insights on the reality of the US political system?

:lol:  When the heck did I ever say such a thing????

You said volo makes sense through his absurdity or something similar ...but he does make sense at times. I have acknowledged this when he does but sometimes his posts have no relevance and just get frustrating  :biggrin:

Yeah, I don't get it. The first time in awhile we see a solid bipartisan vote and it is for a terrible piece of legislature.

People would think they hate 9/11 families or some BS.

I doubt the examples Zora mentioned like Pakistan and Chile now suing the USA are practical or realistic. The USA and other Western countries has precedence to intervene in most conflicts so I doubt they could be sued

The issue with Saudi Arabia is it is an  ally to the West in the fight against extremism but it also has some citizens who do fund and believe in the extremist ideology of AQ or ISIS. But there support of it is secretive, they would be arrested if they publically supported it

So now you will have a group of US lawyers just annoying the Saudis because who are they going to sue ? They will find the Saudis understandably unhelpful

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Gary Johnson ran an Op-Ed in the NY Times today. As usual he makes a lot of sense and strikes a reasoned tone: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/28/opinion/gary-johnson-take-a-deep-breath-voters-there-is-a-third-way.html?_r=0

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

NRO ran an article calling Trump the leader of a Jacksonian Democrat revival. I'm curious how the kept a straight face while writing that one. The last Jacksonian Democrat was Kennedy. Although Bill Clinton could pretend to be one when it suited him. 

Thomas Sowell

The Senate has had an override vote, 97-1. Have to admit I'm kind of surprised, I was sure they'd let it dangle until the lame duck session and then forget about it. Guess that's exactly the sort of margin a veto override was designed for.

(Obama is probably right to have vetoed it, and I say that despite loathing the Saudi state pretty much wholesale, as it opens a whole reciprocal can of worms. The US don't really want Pakistan suing them for drone strikes, Laos suing them for unexploded ordnance, Chile suing them for Pinochet, El Salvador suing them for School of the Americas etc etc etc etc)

If they want to be cut out of the global financial system, then sure. I believe the bill is limited to state sponsored terrorism, which US says it doesn't do, so there's no reciprocity.

NRO ran an article calling Trump the leader of a Jacksonian Democrat revival. I'm curious how the kept a straight face while writing that one. The last Jacksonian Democrat was Kennedy. Although Bill Clinton could pretend to be one when it suited him.

Why not? Same mixture of nationalism and populism. "We will build a wall on the border with Florida, and have the British pay for it!"

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Johnson is still a better candidate for President than Clinton or Trump.

But this is funny:

14494745_1183432275048336_89068210050400

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Everyone SHUT UP!

We must listen to the news, Trump called someone fat in 1996 and now all our attention should be focused on that, because such things matters.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Actually the question was name a world leader you respect. I think that would be a pretty short list for most of us.

For me that Turnbull guy in Australia seems a good sort. But Australia minds it's own business and doesn't bother anyone for the most part.   

Thomas Sowell

Everyone SHUT UP!

We must listen to the news, Trump called someone fat in 1996 and now all our attention should be focused on that, because such things matters.

Easy solution in a way. But that is Pride for you.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Actually the question was name a world leader you respect. I think that would be a pretty short list for most of us.

For me that Turnbull guy in Australia seems a good sort. But Australia minds it's own business and doesn't bother anyone for the most part.   

Come on? You honestly cant name a leader you respect....I can mention many leaders I know you would respect ?

John Milton 

Come on? You honestly cant name a leader you respect....I can mention many leaders I know you would respect ?

I did. Didn't you read what I wrote?

Thomas Sowell

The Detriot News has endorsed Gary Johnson. That is now 5 newspapers that have endorsed him. More than Trump I might add. And it's five more endorsements than any Libertarian Candidate has ever received. http://www.detroitnews.com/opinion/

Already this figures to be the most successful election season for the LP since 1980. And maybe the most successful ever. I do hope this can be parleyed into even greater success, beginning with recruiting and supporting Congressional candidates in 2018 & 2020 and a serious Presidential bid in 2020. The problem with the LP is it's members by their very nature are too feral to work well together over competing agendas. It is a philosophy that attracts individualists. And if the success of 2016 cannot be sustained then the LP is doomed to remain a small outlier on the US political battlefield rather than grow into a real factor. We NEED a third voice in US politics. We need a fourth and fifth voice. We are now seeing two political parties that are harder and harder to really differentiate clawing at each other over every election but not matter who wins the outcome is always the same.

It's a problem

Thomas Sowell

Trudeau seems to have potential, maybe?

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I did. Didn't you read what I wrote?

Oh sorry, I assumed you were joking as  I meant to say Turnbull doesn't count because everyone knows Australia isn't really a fair representation of a  normal country because of how the original immigrants  to Oz were criminals and how they massacred the aborigines plus the Australians send all there new arrivals to a island hell hole where sexual abuse is rampant 

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/11/489659844/australias-immigration-minister-plays-down-claims-of-abuse-on-refugee-island

John Milton