This may be user error, not tech support...

FierceTree

Question

Hello. First I just want to say this game blows me away. It's everything I want out of a game! Perfect on numerous levels of challenge, game play, graphics etc. I literally can't stop playing it. So, basically I have been playing the 2.0 version, and finally decided to upgrade to 3.0. I removed my saved files from directory C: Users/Name/Saved games/Pillars of eternity. Uninstalled the complete game and reinstalled the new game with the 3.0 version from GoG. I placed my said saves back in the same folder, started the game, and there is no load option at the title screen. The download takes forever and was going to uninstall and reinstall again, but thought I would check on here before I did. Also, if I had to, how would I downgrade to the old version? Thanks for any help. 

3 answers to this question

Hmm, it should be able to load 2.0 saves though. The Load menu option being greyed out only happens when it either can't find any save games or can't correctly open them or the temporary file it first copies them to. 

What I'd try for a start is to remove your old saves from the folder first. Then start a new game and save it. Exit and restart the game to make sure you can normally load this new save game. Then exit, copy your old saves to the savegame folder (which should now just contain the new savegame) and restart. It is quite possible that it will now see and be able to read your old saves as well, that it just needed to do an initial new save first to get itself set up properly (so to speak). 

Hmm, it should be able to load 2.0 saves though. The Load menu option being greyed out only happens when it either can't find any save games or can't correctly open them or the temporary file it first copies them to. 

What I'd try for a start is to remove your old saves from the folder first. Then start a new game and save it. Exit and restart the game to make sure you can normally load this new save game. Then exit, copy your old saves to the savegame folder (which should now just contain the new savegame) and restart. It is quite possible that it will now see and be able to read your old saves as well, that it just needed to do an initial new save first to get itself set up properly (so to speak). 

Thanks Loren Tyr. I did follow your steps, but in the middle of them, I realized White March was not even installed at the title screen. I assumed when downloading and installing from GoG.com, it would automatically install the dlc for the game, but it was a separate file. Seeing how most of my accomplisments from my saved games were set in White March, the saved files were not going to load until that installed. After installing White March, and putting the said files in the folder, it works like a dream. I'm such a doofus. Again thanks for taking the time to comment and help.