Easy $5 for Obsidian: Promos Pack

Hi there,

When you start playing Pathfinder Adventures, you are faced with a very important question: whether or not to pay $25 upfront for the game. The players who do not pay (like myself - my system is below spec, so I thought it was a risk) soon start collecting gold and unlocking characters and chapters, to a point that spending those $25 becomes a waste. Then you realize there is something you will never have: the promos.

I am sure that most of those players who followed the "no-$25-spending" path would gladly pay overpriced $5 to have access to all the promos and future promos (including the GenCon one) of the game, but they will probably never pay $25 just to unlock those (specially after everything else is already unlocked). And since the promos are so few, I am also sure that selling them for $5 will not appeal for those starting customers inclined to pay $25 to have access to everything...

Think about it, devs! ;-)

Mauricio

• Like 3

Are we talking about $5 per promo card or $5 for all of them?

I'm asking because physical game promo cards sell for that much (and more) on ebay and similar sites... and Paizo is selling three promo characters (Tup, Ranzak and Ekkie) for $4 a piece.

Don't really understand. Not being facetious nor snarky. Literally, asking if Paizo puts out promo cards for sale as if this were a collectible card game like MtG? I didn't know that and it brings down my estimation of Paizo if true. Not by a lot, but a little because the beauty of it is that they've made a brilliant game that sells at a fair price and they may continue to make money by putting out new games in the same vein. Might be they need steady influx, but it's greedy. Don't mind promo cards per se and probably wouldn't miss them, but do think that the scheme should be transparent. Don't begrudge a single penny I spent, don't begrudge f2p people, but do sometimes wonder at folks complaining about access and ownership of a game they haven't been arsed to buy. Might be that was a bit harsh, but not meant to be entirely argumentative. I don't play many... no, cross that... the only app I play on my phone or tablet is Pathfinder, so I don't have a lot of experience with these things.

So if they follow your plan, congratulations. Only thing I'd want as a paying customer is the release of the adventure decks. Saw an announcement from Obsidian saying that AD4 would be released in a "few weeks." I'm wonder if that's a few weeks in human time or a few weeks in geological time.

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

Sorry I wasn't clear about it.

Paizo don't put their promos for sale other then three goblin characters (one for each AP released so far)... but people who got promos with their decks as part of their subscription are selling them on ebay and other similar sites for quite a lot of money.

Personally, I'm OK with Paizo selling those characters and nothing else.

Edited by Ripe
  • Like 1

I understand the "gotta catch 'em all" sentiment, but the promo cards are all quite missable.

Buying the promo cards is also a little against their spirit in the physical game.  They were given away when when you subscribe/pre-order the adventure decks.  Promo cards were more of an "I believed in this game to pay in advance" reward than anything else.

I understand the "gotta catch 'em all" sentiment, but the promo cards are all quite missable.

Buying the promo cards is also a little against their spirit in the physical game.  They were given away when when you subscribe/pre-order the adventure decks.  Promo cards were more of an "I believed in this game to pay in advance" reward than anything else.

Agreed, some (like Poog) are very useful but you can easily play without them and not miss anything. Personally, I'd never pay $15 for Poog but there are people who would.

The three characters are a bit different since they weren't retail promos (they're "Free RPG day" promos) and they actually add another dimension to the game... not to mention they're extremely fun to play!

• Like 1

I paid $25 for full access knowing how good the game is and faith that Oblivion will continue to improve the app (especially the Windows App).  At some point they will need to release content beyond the books so I'm fine with paying ~$5 for a promo card pack, especially if it included an additional playable character. 

/signed

I would pay cash for P or C pack cards which are not otherwise available (depending on the price of course), or straight up opening dice bags (as every estimate of the drop rate I have seen here yet is grievously optimistic in my experience.)

Everything else I can earn by leveling through content.