It's the little things...

You know, it’s the little things that piss you off.

I got the app the day after release. The day after that, I paid $25 for the full campaign, knowing it wouldn’t be complete for months. I was OK with that; I had played the card game, and loved it, and I was impressed with the implementation.

I convinced other people to download the app, and to buy the game content. I’ve played it in bars, in restaurants, in cigar shops.

I have told people it was a quality product, and that I had faith in Obsidian's ability to get the new adventure path’s out, and to fix game-crippling bugs, and to bring value to the product. I have defended the product to friends who have bitched about bugs and APs being pushed back.

We finally get a new update a few days ago, and the UI is wonky, but … it’s OK. It’s a good idea, that just needs some tweaking, right? Two or three months with no new content? That’s OK: I’ll run another solo character through legendary, even if I’m not getting any gold for normal and heroic scenarios. New content will come eventually.

Because, here’s the thing: I really like this game.

Now, the damn app is going to start eating all of my Blessings of Calista and my favors when I’m playing Meri? Really? <bleep, bleep <religious figure> bleeping bleep>, Obsidian! I’ve brought a product to market before. I know nothing goes to plan, and even less goes to schedule, but you have a lot of people dedicated to this game and you are seriously dumping on them. I’m not even talking about the money. $25 doesn’t mean rent, especially when I paid it almost six months ago. I’m talking about at least acknowledging the people who have supported your product from day one, and are still trying to defend something that, quite frankly, isn’t getting any better. Do better, do it with at least a little transparency, and start doing it now.

Like I said: it’s the little things.

• Like 8

You know, it’s the little things that piss you off.

I got the app the day after release. The day after that, I paid $25 for the full campaign, knowing it wouldn’t be complete for months. I was OK with that; I had played the card game, and loved it, and I was impressed with the implementation.

I convinced other people to download the app, and to buy the game content. I’ve played it in bars, in restaurants, in cigar shops.

I have told people it was a quality product, and that I had faith in Obsidian's ability to get the new adventure path’s out, and to fix game-crippling bugs, and to bring value to the product. I have defended the product to friends who have bitched about bugs and APs being pushed back.

We finally get a new update a few days ago, and the UI is wonky, but … it’s OK. It’s a good idea, that just needs some tweaking, right? Two or three months with no new content? That’s OK: I’ll run another solo character through legendary, even if I’m not getting any gold for normal and heroic scenarios. New content will come eventually.

Because, here’s the thing: I really like this game.

Now, the damn app is going to start eating all of my Blessings of Calista and my favors when I’m playing Meri? Really? <bleep, bleep <religious figure> bleeping bleep>, Obsidian! I’ve brought a product to market before. I know nothing goes to plan, and even less goes to schedule, but you have a lot of people dedicated to this game and you are seriously dumping on them. I’m not even talking about the money. $25 doesn’t mean rent, especially when I paid it almost six months ago. I’m talking about at least acknowledging the people who have supported your product from day one, and are still trying to defend something that, quite frankly, isn’t getting any better. Do better, do it with at least a little transparency, and start doing it now.

Like I said: it’s the little things.

Since I suspended playing due to the lack of content and bugs I didn't loose anything but otherwise your comments are on point. If you look back at my early posts you'll see I was defending the game when it came out and giving the developers the benefit of the doubt. Now though, only my initial investment even keeps me coming back to see what's up. The money isn't a big deal but the taste of disappointment lingers on.

I believe the company and the developers are capable enough but a business decision has been made to not prioritize resources and effort on getting this product up to where it should be. Maybe not enough people paid for content, maybe the tablet market is too small, maybe the company has decided that mobile games aren't where it wants to be. I suppose they will eventually release AD6 if only at least to avoid paying back the $25 they would owe some of us. Doesn't mean that release has to be any good though nor do they need to maintain a sustained effort on bug fixes after the release. Because they don't really compete in the mobile space, they can afford to loose reputation in the Apple and Play stores without it impacting them too much down the road.

The best thing I can get out of my experience here is that because I was sucked into the initial release and watched it crash, I was at least able to talk my tabletop gaming friends out of getting it for themselves. At first I told them "it's not perfect but it has a lot of potential...I'll let you know when it is ready!" The last time it came up at a session a few weeks ago I told them to forget about it and it hasn't come up since.

In the end I don't have any ill will towards anyone...in business things happen and circumstances change. On the other hand I don't owe any of these companies endless patience because we aren't a family....we're just conducting a business transaction. My personal impression of Pazio and Obsidian is currently diminished; it might kick up again if they release an amazing and well received product but the benefit of the doubt is lost for now.

• Like 2

I have to agree with everything said here.  I never really defended anything on the forums.  But I did love this game.  Things played out exact same for me:  App the first day available, full bundle next day.  Played a ton at first.  Lost a few higher level quest characters.  Kind of burned me at that point.  I still haven't picked it back up to see the new UI.  I figured I'd check it out when the next AD came out.  So, I just check out these forums once in a while waiting for that day. 

But, these couple posts... nailed it.

• Like 1