marilyn-monroe-dope_design.png

https://www.rt.com/sport/359215-wada-substances-williams-biles/

WADA outraged after hacktivists expose Williams sisters’ use of banned substances

http://true-news.info/hackers-found-evidence-of-doping-by-us-athletes-with-the-permission-of-wada/

Hackers found evidence of doping by us athletes with the permission of WADA

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-russian-hackers-olympics-20160913-snap-story.html

cat_popcorn.gif

I.... just can't gin up an interest in this. Sorry Oby. I just filed this one in the "don't care" file.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, the use of PEDs amongst professional athletes is the rule rather than the exception, and the rate amongst successful athletes is very likely 100%. This cannot be considered a surprise to any reasonable person, so the battle being fought is largely that of public perception. Therein lies the values of leaks like this, or of other external actions like police raids - anything that happens outside of the control of sport's compromised governing bodies. Outside of big "shocks" like this, the status quo remains that of eternally wilful ignorance.

The use of doping controls these days tends to be to ensure no one goes completely over-the-top crazy with it, because having athletes drop like flies is bad for business. Aside from that, carry on.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Yeah, the use of PEDs amongst professional athletes is the rule rather than the exception, and the rate amongst successful athletes is very likely 100%. This cannot be considered a surprise to any reasonable person, so the battle being fought is largely that of public perception. Therein lies the values of leaks like this, or of other external actions like police raids - anything that happens outside of the control of sport's compromised governing bodies. Outside of big "shocks" like this, the status quo remains that of eternally wilful ignorance.

The use of doping controls these days tends to be to ensure no one goes completely over-the-top crazy with it, because having athletes drop like flies is bad for business. Aside from that, carry on.

am thinking you might not be aware o' what is the present "scandal."  russian hackers got the medical records o' US olympians revealing those individuals who had received legit and fully disclosed exemptions from the WADA to take medications to deal with existing conditions such as asthma and adhd and... whatever. 

is not actual any story here... unless, for example, it turns out that the women's 8s rowing team were all taking prostate medications and the WADA were ignoring the obvious ploy.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yes, a TUE is, from a legal perspective, a defense to using these otherwise prohibited substances. The system for granting these exemptions is full of holes however, and if you take the population of athletes as being anywhere near that of the population of large, you get some very alarming trends, such as a clear majority of tennis players and cyclists worldwide being asthmatic (at a rate of up to 80%).

Lance Armstrong famously produced a backdated TUE granted by a "co-operative" doctor to explain away a cortisone positive in '98, after publicly announcing just one week earlier that he was not taking any medications and so had no TUEs. It's a system with no integrity and is full of exploitable loopholes, one that requires at the very least a complete overhaul of the exemptions framework that wouldn't be able to grant said exemptions at the very low level of authority at which they're currently available.

Serena Williams has ongoing TUEs for oxycodone, hydromorphone, prednisone, prednisolone and methylprednisolone. Sure, we can shrug our shoulders and say "she has an exemption for all of them, move on". It doesn't pass the sniff test, however, nor do any of her performances over the years.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

can't use lance armstrong as an example, save for his one olympics... which you ain't doing.  to speak o' sports in general and use drug use by tai-pae pit fighters would be equal relevant. 

and your sniffer aside, the WADA is pretty darn strict, which is exact why a russian intelligence agency got involved in over-the-top cloak and dagger activities to alter russian athlete results.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps armstrong got caught and had his 2000 bronze medal stripped by the ioc... so, is another reason your example is bad.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah, I'm talking more about professional sports in general. There's a common fallacy that PEDs don't benefit certain sports because of the nature of the skillset required. This doesn't stand up to any real scrutiny, and it can be noted that use of beta-blockers is rife in the sport of chess for example, to improve concentration.

To return to Serena's TUEs for example, you will find that they were authorised by one Dr Stuart Miller, supposedly the head of the ITF's anti-doping department. In reality he's one of the worst enablers in the sport, and has made a number of notorious and indefensible comments. No one could seriously look at that and not believe the TUE system is utterly ripe for abuse, never mind the conflict of interest of a governing body policing itself while also handling the commercial side of the sport.

This trickles down to the layman who them makes such claims as "oh this sport is a game of skill, drugs won't help here". EPO, one of the most infamous and effective endurance-enhancing PEDs, won't meaningfully improve performances in a sport that regularly has 5-set slogathons? The same argument is made by football (soccer) fans who conveniently ignore the physical demands of running up and down the pitch for 90 minutes. Take two players of equal natural talent and the doper will completely demolish the clean athlete over any non-trivial length of time based on endurance alone, let alone when you take enhancements of speed, strength and mental abilities into account.

EDIT: I know I've digressed quite a lot from the specific topic of US-based Olympic doping, and I apologise for that. However I do note that for the "big" sports like tennis and football, Olympic doping regimes tend to be inseparable from what the same athletes do in their other 3 years and 11 months, so making a distinction is less useful here than it is, say, for track-and-field athletes for which the Olympics are definitively the crowning focus. For the latter I suspect doping regimes being conducted on a national federation level like that of the Russians comes into play.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Source

http://fancybear.net

Greetings citizens of the world. Allow us to introduce ourselves… We are Fancy Bears' international hack team. We stand for fair play and clean sport.

We announce the start of #OpOlympics. We are going to tell you how Olympic medals are won. We hacked World Anti-Doping Agency databases and we were shocked with what we saw.

We will start with the U.S. team which has disgraced its name by tainted victories. We will also disclose exclusive information about other national Olympic teams later. Wait for sensational proof of famous athletes taking doping substances any time soon.

We are Anonymous.

We are Legion.

We do not forgive.

We do not forget.

Expect us.

Anonymous – #OpOlympics

Greetings World. We are Fancy Bears' hack team.

As promised we begin our disclosures. Today we'd like to tell you about the U.S. Olympic team and their dirty methods to win.

Just before the 2016 Summer Olympics the U.S. team was reported to be one of medal favorites while being on top of the Rio medal forecast. Besides, the USA is commonly known to be always ahead of the game.

As predicted, the USA dominated the 2016 Olympics medal count with 46 gold, 37 silver, 38 bronze for 121 total. The U.S. team played well but not fair.

After detailed studying of the hacked WADA databases we figured out that dozens of American athletes had tested positive. The Rio Olympic medalists regularly used illicit strong drugs justified by certificates of approval for therapeutic use. In other words they just got their licenses for doping. This is other evidence that WADA and IOC's Medical and Scientific Department are corrupt and deceitful.

Circus must go on. 

Innocent American athletes make funny statements. Of short - Authorities permits this doping to us -> this doping is not doping because of this.

https://twitter.com/Simone_Biles/status/775783400808583169/photo/1

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/article/5890326/title/venus-issues-statement-on-wada-hack

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKTvQdbBsw1/

ADHD victim :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

http://youtu.be/aBkSIFMTMoE

• Like 2

I am not buying this crаp about medical needs. Just to be clear: Williams sisters have been taking: 

1. prednisolone (steroid) 

2. methylprednisolone (steroid) 

3. hydromorphone (narcotic) 

4. oxycodone (narcotic) 

5. prednisone (steroid) 

6. triamcinolone (steroid) 

7. formoterol (breath enhancer) 

Now, are you telling me these were to cure some illness? Four steroids, two narcotics and a breath enhancer? I am not a fool, and I will not let anyone to make one out of me! No wonder these sisters look more like racehorses and are about to grow beards.

Williams sisters have been using steroids for doping, nothing else AND WADA PERMITTED IT!!!. And they banned Sharapove for Mildronate???

Just wow - they eat so heavy chemistry.

I chuckled gratuitously.

Though on the subject of doping I have to admit that I have ocassionallly had a spoonful of Buttercup Syrup and applied a little Deep Heat to the old knees, shoulders and back when playing Rugger. Lord I have sinned etcetera.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

And people always saying this stuff wasn't political.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Don't hate on Biles for having more of a V-taper than you, oby.

Also, phishing? Really? What's this, 2003?

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I have 4 of those sitting in my medicine cabinet right now.  They are pretty standard for illnesses, surgeries, and asthma.  

*shrug*

folks see word "steroid" and get confused with anabolic steroids.  and gosh, an athlete who has taken painkillers is shocking and newsworthy indeed. not. out of the immense number o' US athletes at the olympics, russian hackers uncover that a few of 'em were having approval from WADA to be taking meds for medical conditions?  is not news save for oby and the predictable conspiracy nutters littering the board.

HA! Good Fun!

ps turn into a general protest 'bout meds and sports is even more queer.  every sport polices different, and some not at all.  might as well post 'bout barry bonds clear and creme, eh?

• Like 1

The only rational thing to do is to stop giving a crap and just let athletes use all the drugs they want. 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Theoretically that might be the only way to ensure a level playing field, however the reason we don't do that is that doping is a public health issue. The current testing regime at least restricts flagrant abuse of the most experimental, untested and dangerous PEDs, especially as these drugs are often the type in which side effects may not manifest until years or decades down the track. As compromised as the current system is, it's at least better than the worst excesses of the 90s where incidences of fertility issues, certain types of cancer and heart failure have since come to light.

Some may argue that the athletes are mature functioning adults who are responsible for their own decisions, but many doping programs operate at a team or even national level, and some of the competitors are indeed not yet legally adults. At the risk of being a "think of the children" reactionary, we already know that youth coaches are starting doping programs very early on, sometimes with tacit approval from success-hungry parents. Professional sports teams likewise through their academies recruit these kids into a highly pressurised environment which raises them into a culture where PED use is the norm. It's no surprise that many end up exhibiting a rather skewed sense of ethics even when caught red-handed, because by now that behaviour is normalised, the drugs part of the job.

And no, just because these things are already happening doesn't mean we should relinquish control altogether. The war on doping may be unwinnable, but as long as the current keeps away the worst excesses and abuses, it's worth keeping.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Bears deliver moar stuff about WADA.

http://fancybear.net/page-2.html

We'll keep on telling the world about doping in elite sports. Stay tuned for new leaks.

USA

Bethanie Mattek-Sands

Brittney Griner

Conger John

Dagmara Wozniak

Deanna Price

Kathleen Baker

Mcquin Baron

Michelle Carter

Sam Dorman

Tervel Ivaylov Dlagnev

Great Britain