[1.1.3] Bug: Blessings don't add dice to Wand Of Scorching Ray

mccrispy

Question

16 answers to this question

Wand of Scorching Ray (not Wand of Blasting!) say following: "For your combat check bury this card to roll 4d6."

That mean that when you use it you get to use your "no skill" + 4d6, so blessings that add your base die can't help you since your base die is 0. Things like Old Lite location power which add d6 to any check with Fire trait would work since you do add Fire trait to your check. Similarly, anything else that add specific die to a check with Fire, Ranged, Magic or Arcane trait would work as it should.

You may also want to read through this discussion on Paizo board:

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2qklk?Wand-of-scorching-ray-and-a-weapon

Edited by Ripe

Wand of Scorching Ray (not Wand of Blasting!) say following: "For your combat check bury this card to roll 4d6."

That mean that when you use it you get to roll 4d6 which can't be adjusted.

This is incorrect. Blessings are still supposed to add dice to a Wand - 1d6 by deafult in the case of WoSR (or 2d6 if you play Blessing of Zarongel; or if you supported it with Aid/Guidance spell and played Bo Pharsma...). Also, post-role, some heroes have powers that can add a bigger die if particular Blessing is played..

So, yeah, it's a bug.

Edited by Longshot11
  • Like 1

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

@ ripe

No idea what are you talking about. In the discussion you posted they argued about the ability involved. Answer: no one.

Here the op is about blessing that doesn't add any die.

The rule on the blessing is: "Discard this card to add one die to any check". Player is rolling a check? Yes, so blessing adds one die. They HAVE to, also with no ability involved (that gives basic value and extra dice in other situations).

Also in the end of the discussion you linked, a subscriber asked that and it got exactly this answer: 

"A blessing adds d6s to a combat check using the Wand of Scorching Ray. A Gorum would add 1d6. A Zarongel would add 2d6."

PS just noticed that the subscriber there was our Hannibal_PJV. Hei mate :)

Edited by RedPred

I reviewed that thread. Here's my understanding:

• Playing the Wand changes the skill check to a "no skill" check and permits you to roll 4D6

• Playing a Blessing adds one die (because it doesn't match the type of check)

• the type of die added is D6 because that's the type of die defined by the "no skill" check in this instance

• you cannot play a weapon or a spell on the check because the die has already been defined by the "no skill" die

So it's a bug.

Edited by mccrispy
  • Like 1

Also, that whole confusion might have been evaded - I believe this case is explicitly made clear in the card game Rulebook; I don't know if it made it in the app tutorial texts however.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

Well, we didn't need you to confirm it as bug, that had already been done; but it's good to know that somebody else has seen it - so it should be possible for the Devs to repro it :)

Well, in my experience, number of affected users *can* in fact affect prioritization of an issue fix, so there's that. Now, if an issue has been reported by a single user only, no matter how severe, I've seen cases where it's disregarded as having low impact and never fixed at all (and I suppose many users realize this, at least on some intuitive level, hence the many threads with many 'me too' posts in Tech Support forums).

Well, we didn't need you to confirm it as bug, that had already been done; but it's good to know that somebody else has seen it - so it should be possible for the Devs to repro it :)

Well, in my experience, number of affected users *can* in fact affect prioritization of an issue fix, so there's that. Now, if an issue has been reported by a single user only, no matter how severe, I've seen cases where it's disregarded as having low impact and never fixed at all (and I suppose many users realize this, at least on some intuitive level, hence the many threads with many 'me too' posts in Tech Support forums).

I don't disagree. That's what was implied in my comment about reproducibility. I also have no problem with "me too" threads to bump up the priority of a bug as a result of "popularity".