9/11 : 15 years on

BruceVC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11_attacks

A very significant day, some denied it was real and still do but it changed the world forever 

What were you doing at the time? The events that passed have made the world stronger but we also face a real threat from Islamic extremism

The invasion of Iraq was a mistake but we cant now dismiss everything else. Its funny but in SA most of the Muslim community on these radio stations think the USA did 9/11 to themselves ....its such an irritating and utterly stupid thing to still believe but some people still do 

Anyway we have had our first ISIS arrests in SA......I never thought SA Muslims would align to that ideology but it happened. Now we have to get SA Muslims to believe its real as they have to be the ones to expose it ?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yes. Well. Here I am arguing with you elsewhere and you do such a heartfelt post. I'd invite you to tea sometime, but I insist you leave your dog at home. Aw hell, bring the little fellow also why not?

I apologized on that other post, I felt I was being rude :)

We having a debate, its okay to disagree :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You've rarely if ever met someone with a thicker skin than me and I never took it personally. It is odd to see the way the world has changed since September 11. Not joking, now mind you. Seriously, the world is different. It wasn't just the Americans who felt it. It was fairly everyone. It's strange to realize how much I've personally changed as a result. I mean, I still go to bed at night and still have a love of fish and chips and a pint of bitter. Don't get me wrong. You can't go around thinking about these dark things all the hours of the day. Still look back from time to time and it strikes you. Then you take another sip and talk computer games again. What else is a man to do?

• Like 1

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

At least George Bush was able to finish that storybook for the childrens. That's what really matters, in the end.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I was in my first year in college and was sleeping after a night of binge-drinking. I was awakened by a phone call and was left watching the news for the rest of the day.

I have actually been to the 110th floor of the south tower a few years before the attack so the whole thing felt unreal for me. Then came the sadness.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That memory is to me nothing but a reminder of how desensitized I truly am. I was doing my homework for high school when the news came on TV, I looked up briefly, said "huh" and continued doing my homework. The next day all the other kids tried to use it as an excuse as to why they didn't do their homework and the teacher gave in, and I thought it was ridiculous.

I managed to reconcile at least intellectually why it was a big deal. But emotionally? Meh. Probably too far from home for me - doesn't register any more than an earthquake in Africa.

• Like 4

I was driving home that day from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale with my wife. We had been arguing all morning and were not on speaking terms (regrettably that happened a lot). We stopped at the Turkey Lake Service Plaza on the Florida Turnpike. I went inside to get us drinks and saw the news on TV. At first I thought they were playing clips from the 1993 bombing but right then the plane hit tower 2 and I knew. On the way home we were listening to the coverage on the radio. The argument was forgotten for awhile. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

i rember ppl dancing in the streets

You mean those 3 guys? Seriously if there was any evidence it would have come out by now in one of those leaks, either there isn't or nobody's looking hard enough.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

That memory is to me nothing but a reminder of how desensitized I truly am. I was doing my homework for high school when the news came on TV, I looked up briefly, said "huh" and continued doing my homework. The next day all the other kids tried to use it as an excuse as to why they didn't do their homework and the teacher gave in, and I thought it was ridiculous.

I managed to reconcile at least intellectually why it was a big deal. But emotionally? Meh. Probably too far from home for me - doesn't register any more than an earthquake in Africa.

That was interesting. In what year were you born? 

I am curious since i've noticed that the emotional attachment seems to be more dim in the younger generation, while for older ones, like me and even older, it was a world-changing event.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Didn't really upset me that much. Was unpleasant to see the videos of the people jumping or falling but didn't linger much. Was a topic of discussion in our Civ 101 class the next day, our prof was American and eventually was part of the engineers investigating the collapse if I recall. Remember him telling us how well the building failed and that was good design. Granted never went all the way in Civ so can't verify that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

9/11, a very significant day indeed. It shaped my country.

/edit: ^ also, basically it was an inside job.

Almost thought you were Chilean

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

i had to work all day

but i was home in time for the controlled demolition

Anyone who seriously thinks 9/11 was a conspiracy theory is either

• anti-Western and bitter
  • Uninformed and ignorant
  • Dillusiuonal or suffering from dementia
  • Someone who just believes stupid conspiracy theories 

o:)

John Milton 

i had to work all day

At this point in history anyone who doesn't believe in conspiracy theories is just misinformed. With all the information that has been leaked and all the awful things that government do you still trust them? 

I can understand skepticism and asking for evidence but just denying them on the merits of being a conspiracy theory... just go back to the MSM and vote for Hillary you chump.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

I still find it funny people expected steel beams had to melt.

i had to work all day

At this point in history anyone who doesn't believe in conspiracy theories is just misinformed. With all the information that has been leaked and all the awful things that government do you still trust them? 

I can understand skepticism and asking for evidence but just denying them on the merits of being a conspiracy theory... just go back to the MSM and vote for Hillary you chump.

i honestly dont believe in any conspiracy theories.....well none I can think of?

CS are just excuses where people become lazy and aren't interested in the truth. Why what CS should I consider?

• Like 1

John Milton 

Point would be in my opinion that some conspiracy theories are substantiated, but those are no longer theories. Don't believe in conspiracy theories, altho I might be willing to look into the theory of a conspiracy and, once substantiated, have no problem believing cold hard evidence.

Don't blame people for not having strong feelings about September 11. Hits some people harder than others. Wasn't the loss of life or tragedy that hit, tho. That was bad and everyone should feel something for the lot of them, but it was witnessing the world changing. What we all knew, wherever we were, was going to be turned around in one way or another. Whether you felt for the people in New York or not, whether you feel anything about the day after all this time or not, the event impacted your life nonetheless.

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

Point would be in my opinion that some conspiracy theories are substantiated, but those are no longer theories. Don't believe in conspiracy theories, altho I might be willing to look into the theory of a conspiracy and, once substantiated, have no problem believing cold hard evidence.

Don't blame people for not having strong feelings about September 11. Hits some people harder than others. Wasn't the loss of life or tragedy that hit, tho. That was bad and everyone should feel something for the lot of them, but it was witnessing the world changing. What we all knew, wherever we were, was going to be turned around in one way or another. Whether you felt for the people in New York or not, whether you feel anything about the day after all this time or not, the event impacted your life nonetheless.

Yes I agree about 9/11 and not expecting people to have deep feelings

It is over now and the new threat is ISIS.....and the USA is actually stronger now and has very effective information gathering like the Prism program, so the USA is effectively able to prevent almost all external terrorist attacks but not home grown

John Milton 

i had to work all day

i honestly dont believe in any conspiracy theories.....well none I can think of?

CS are just excuses where people become lazy and aren't interested in the truth. Why what CS should I consider?

You should try googling confirmed false flag operations and declassified documents. 

village_idiot.gif

That was interesting. In what year were you born? 

I am curious since i've noticed that the emotional attachment seems to be more dim in the younger generation, while for older ones, like me and even older, it was a world-changing event.

Honestly, intellectually I know that it changed the world, but for me it wasn't an emotional hit. I was 15 and living on the west coast. Somewhere there's a photo of 8 year old me "squashing" the towers with my hand in a photo booth in tower 2(?). Thing is, even though I have family that lives in New York, I was so young that the only major difference to me was that I couldn't just answer two questions at the luggage counter for security.

Literally I woke up to my mom telling me "So, two planes just hit the twin towers..." and then I watched the towers fall on tv before going to school. And most of the kids in my school got more upset the next year (I think it was the year after, so 2003) when somebody in the "media" department that did the morning school news program did a tribute that included shots of the people jumping from the towers to survive before it fell.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.