olssonr

Question

Pathfinder 1.1.3

Device Ipad mini 4

iOS 9.3.5

PFID 79536E964632120D

Story mode

Permadeath

When I have the Eloquence (+3 charisma spell) om my hand and I enter any combat I can not cast the spell to add to my charisma for that combat check. Might and Agility works though.

8 answers to this question

Pathfinder 1.1.3

Device Ipad mini 4

iOS 9.3.5

PFID 79536E964632120D

Story mode

Permadeath

When I have the Eloquence (+3 charisma spell) om my hand and I enter any combat I can not cast the spell to add to my charisma for that combat check. Might and Agility works though.

Did you used Seoni's power to discard a card on that combat check?

If you did then it's not a bug since you can play only one card of same type during the check and Seoni's power specifically state that "This counts as playing a spell." If you didn't use the power then it's still not a bug because your combat check is not a Charisma check (it's Strength or Melee) so you can't play Eloquence...

• Like 2

Hi,

You can only add Charisma when it a charisma check. There are very few banes that that ask for that check.

Seoni's Arcane die is a charisma die.  And you should be able to play the card regardless of that, it doesn't require that the check be a charisma check to play it.

Hi,

You can only add Charisma when it a charisma check. There are very few banes that that ask for that check.

Seoni's Arcane die is a charisma die.  And you should be able to play the card regardless of that, it doesn't require that the check be a charisma check to play it.

Not if Seoni already played a spell or used her character power (which count as playing a spell)!

• Like 1

Mates I learned one thing in this game, I need to pay really attention to what is written in the card description before to talk.

"Display this card next to a character.

While displayed, add 3 to that character's Charisma checks.

[At the end of the turn ... recharge]

"

So,

you can display it when you want in the character turn

it includes both Charisma combat and non-combat checks (like others cards it doesn't specify any and always works on base stat..)

It's a displayed spell, so you can't or can play an other spell by the same char differently in or out a fight.

Only spells with Attack trait let char use the Arcane/Divine skill (charisma + arcane, charisma + divine, wisdom + divine) and they say it clearly.

When you already entered a fight you can't use cards that don't affect the specified rolls (it's a rule you can find in the game)

In general the base combat dice is Strength for every char (then you have attributes bonus and cards/powers to use those attributes/bonus)

In a fight you can't display Eloquence first because Charisma is not a common base check to defeat a bane (I m pretty sure your check wasn't)

To use Charisma in a fight you need to play an Arcane Attack spell before (in general), to use a charisma check.

If you play an Arcane Attack spell in a fight, you already played a spell and you can't display (play) anymore Eloquence.

In the end, to use Eloquence in a fight you have to play it (display) before to explore and to encounter the bane (it lasts until end of turn), so you can still use the Arcane Attack spell and use the increased Charisma stat.

In other words, you can't use Eloquence in that case, because you can't use 2 spells in the same normal combat check with the same caster if you want to switch to a Charisma check.

Edited by RedPred
  • Like 1

Hi,

Not if Seoni already played a spell or used her character power (which count as playing a spell)!

Yes, but that's not the point I was addressing.

From the current Rulebook (Wrath of the Righteous, pg.10):

You may not activate a power or play a card that doesn’t apply to your current situation.

Since the default combat check is Strength or Melee (you can change that by playing a card) that mean you can't play "Eloquence" since it doesn't affect your check in any way.

Pathfinder 1.1.3

Device Ipad mini 4

iOS 9.3.5

PFID 79536E964632120D

Story mode

Permadeath

Did you used Seoni's power to discard a card on that combat check?

If you did then it's not a bug since you can play only one card of same type during the check and Seoni's power specifically state that "This counts as playing a spell." If you didn't use the power then it's still not a bug because your combat check is not a Charisma check (it's Strength or Melee) so you can't play Eloquence...

Thank you for explaining this. I forgot that you can only play one card of each type and that her power counts as playing a spell, so another character have to cast this spell on her. Or if she knows she will encounter a monster (because you have looked at the card by using augury, scout ahead or similiar) she can actually play the card before the encounter.

I agree this is working as intended and is not a bug.

Edited by olssonr