Interplay Ip's to be Sold Off.

Chippy

So the Codex is reporting that Herve Caen is finally packing it in at Interplay.  Last I heard from this company I think they were running a scam to Kickstart a fallout title... so is there anything left?  I think the Planescape setting has been discontinued, and Interplay lost it to whatever happened to Atari, any other IP's Obsidian or InXile might be able to get?.

Also; it bloody well took long enough, what have they been doing in the past 15-20 years...

Planescape is a D&D (Wizards -> Hasbro) IP.  Did InXile buy Torment off of Interplay for the Tides Title.

I think the press release said - Earthworm Jim, Freespace, Giants, Kingpin, Messiah, MDK, Run Like Hell, Sacrifice, Battlechess, Clayfighter, Dark Alliance (but not Forgotten Realms), and Descent

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Let's all try to buy Freespace

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Giants, Descent, Messiah, Kingpin... so many games I loved.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

So they're to blame for the fact that haven't seen a Freespace3? Good riddance then..

Do you really want to? Shivans would lose their mystique in a sequel I wager

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So they're to blame for the fact that haven't seen a Freespace3? Good riddance then..

Do you really want to? Shivans would lose their mystique in a sequel I wager

True, a modern sequel would probably suck. Volition also shifted towards making less than serious games now. Question is if they could handle grimdark without making it cheesy.

Fortune favors the bald.

Herve Caen?  I thought he'as daid!

Lurved Stonekeep  Argued with some muppets who insisted Fallout Online was coming out any day.  That was five or seven years ago.  For all I know, it did come out, but I didn't see it.

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

Whatever happened to the Black Isle relaunch anyways? It seemed like a borderline scam at best, and an actual scam at worst, and I never heard anything after the initial controversy. I'm guessing they took the money and ran?

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Whatever happened to the Black Isle relaunch anyways? It seemed like a borderline scam at best, and an actual scam at worst, and I never heard anything after the initial controversy. I'm guessing they took the money and ran?

Whose money?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Whose money?

Any money that was donated? Personally I didn't give anything but last I heard people had actually tossed money at the project.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

My understanding of Battle Chess was they licensed some dudes to do a Kickstarter. But that was before the Black Isle relaunch.

This became one of the major reasons people speculated that Obsidian's mysterious "a publisher tried to get us to do a Kickstarter for them" was Interplay.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

My understanding is that Topware/SouthPeak was sued by Interplay for trying to use the Battle Chess name for a new game and infringing on I'play's IP.  Supposedly Topware/SouthPeak was trying an end run to usurp the trademark believing Caen couldn't afford a legal fight. I'play won $200,000 out of it; which they put towards Battle Chess 2011 (which may or may not have been planned before the lawsuit, don't remember). This went to Kickstarter because the original 3rd party developer Subdued Software had some financial mismanagement and they didn't have the money to complete it.  The end result was Battle Chess: Game of Kings completed by Rebecca Heineman's Olde Skuul (which I think is made up of former I'play employees/creatives)

Dunno what happened with Black Isle and BIMAR aka Black Isle Mayan Apocalypse Replacement Program (which IIRC was a replacement for the Fallout MMO/Project V13 when they lost the Fallout license entirely).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man