Is 24 character slots too few for Story mode?

At the moment we can save up to 24 characters in both Story and Quest mode. While having 24 slots is enough for Quest mode it is way too few (at least in my opinion) for Story mode. That mean we can only run four parties consisting of six characters each!

For a game whose one of the main draw is character and deck building that is nowhere close to being enough... if you're like me and you like to experiment with different party compositions you'll run out of available slots real fast. That leave us with choice of either deleting a party (and characters consisting it) before we had a chance of seeing them through Rise of Runelords or abandoning Story mode completely before next AD became available in order to "save" those parties. Both of those options are equally unacceptable and unattractive...

Hopefully, that number of slots will get increased in the future, especially if we get Class Decks (which we will since any type of Multiplayer is borderline impossible without them) and Skulls & Shackles, Wrath of Righteous, Mummy Mask and whatever AP Paizo publish after that...

The characters slots are a common space for all parties. When you delete a party the characters are still there. Simply you cannot add the same character to different parties. So don't worry and delete all the parties you want :)

Then when you want to test a specific party just choose the characters and built a new party with them. Use 'Nick' option to change their names to distinguish different builts. If you can't select him, remove others parties you have with him.

Actually we can have both roles for each character (11 x 2 = 22) with 2 extra slots.

I think devs will increase slots only increasing the available characters we can play.

I know that just deleting the party doesn't delete the characters... my problem is that 24 slots is nowhere near enough for me. Yes, I can have any character in both roles but that alone mean nothing.

So far, I run 6 different parties of 5-6 characters (Main 6, Remaining 5, All Males, All Females, All Spellcasters, All Non-Spellcasters) through available RotR decks but due to low amount of slots I had to delete two of those parties (and characters) already. And that's not even close to what I would be running through if the game allow me to... which it doesn't!

Not really a solution considering there is no optimal deck and character build. A lot of the time character and deck build will depend on what other characters you use in your party...

My Seelah that is part of "Main 6" and Seelah that is part of "Non-Spellcasters" are very, very different. In fact, Non-Spellcaster party Seelah will probably have a build I wouldn't repeat with any other considering she'll be the only source of healing in the party. And she'll be the only source of it until Sajan became a Drunken Master so he can recharge Potions of Healing... at that point she'll replace her last Cure with Augury (she already have Scrying). Another difference is that she'll split her first four skill points between Strength and Wisdom. Hell, I'll probably give "Non-Spellcaster" Harsk a Divine: Wisdom +1 and few card feets in Spell just so he could carry another copy of Mass Cure or Scrying/Augury (probably Augury) since I'll need all the scouting power I can get for scenario 6-5... and I never ever considered giving those to Harsk!

But bottom line is, starting up new parties and leveling up character is what Pathfinder Adventures Card Game is all about. And with only 24 character slots we can't really do that, can't we?

Edited by Ripe

You can always delete the characters that you don't need anymore and start new. In original tabletop game you only could have 6 character slots. In the Beginning of the digital game we did have 10 character slots, now we have 24 and it is much more that original 6! Who knows, maybe we will have even more than that in the future. But 24 is plenty compared to original 6, so we have much more options even now. But who knows, maybe we will have 30 or even more slots when the ad 6 will be ready, I don't know, but considering where we started, you can see that the character slots has allready been increased a guite a lot. The digital version just offer so Many more options than tabletop version in some ways.

I agree, more than 24 character is good wish for the future upgrade to the game, but I personally have no idea how Many more the game ui and system can handle before it gets a problem. Maybe there is no upper limit, but at least the character ui screen would need complete owerhaul, or it would be impossible to find right characters From it if there would be much more characters. In the meanwhile, i hope some other improvements before this. But in long run, if it is possible... Bring it on! ;)

But as RedPred said above, you can do all the possible combinations even with only 6 slots, so the ansver is. We can!

Edited by Hannibal_PJV
  • Like 1

Maybe game shouldn't be saving them as individual characters... maybe it should save them as parties. That might take away ability to remove a character from a party and use it in another but that's small (insignificant) price to pay. While I agree that 24 is improvement over 10 but it's still way too low and not nearly enough...

And no, we can't do all possible combinations right now AND keep them saved so we could run them through entire RotR! We could only do them if we delete some of the previous combinations... meaning our choice is to either abandon Story mode completely until AD4 is released (and then, once we run all the parties through it abandon it untill AD5) or delete some characters loosing them and their progress permanently.

Another thing, in tabletop game you had unlimited character slots thanks to Character Sheets and Deck lists.

Another thing, in tabletop game you had unlimited character slots thanks to Character Sheets and Deck lists.

If/when a character editor ever gets patched in, that should mitigate things a little bit, right?  At least you'd be able to re-spec every now and then to try different character traits.

Also, characters, parties, treasure lists are all stored in the PlayFab "cloud" which does have some set storage limits.   Fully utilizing your tiny slice of cloud space now could potentially cause problems if Skull & Shackles ever gets the digital treatment.