Maximum attribute bonuses?

Is there a max attribute bonus you can have for a character?

I have a bunch of items that grant attribute bonuses, but looking at the character sheet, it doesn't seem like any of them do anything. For example, let's say I have a character with a resolve of 15 (including bonuses). I'll put on a suit of armor that should grant an additional +2 resolve. Looking at the character sheet, the resolve stays 15. Is it supposed to be that way? Is there some kind of secret attribute bonus maximum that I'm not aware of?

• Like 1

Only highest bonus from multiple items counts, this mechanic is called supression. Sole exeptions are weapons, they stack with any other item. Attributes bonuses do not stack from the same source, like in your case magical items. Yet they do stack from diffirent sources (food & drugs, sleeping, spells and abilities, items, weapons). For example you can actually buff your Might to go as high as 48 if you really focus on it.

In your game press "J", go to Сyclopedia, then Character Statistics, and finally find Stacking or Suppressed.

Edited by Mraicor
  • Like 1

Food, drugs, spells and many abilities all fall in the same category, actually. In practice, it boils down to the following:

- From non-weapon/shield items: the best bonus and worst penalty apply

- From active/modal effects (consumables, spells, afflictions, many abilities (see their description), etc.): the best bonus and worst penalty apply

- From everything else (resting, weapon/shield, passive abilities, etc.): everything applies

For abilities the active/passive/modal qualifier should be listed in the description; passives are generally ones that are always on, though some are conditional/triggered. For example Bloodlust is a passive ability that triggers a temporary speed bonus when you kill two enemies, but this bonus still counts as 'passive' and will stack with everything. Also keep in mind that this applies per stat, which can be quite narrowly defined. For example, 'Accuracy' and 'Melee Accuracy' count as different stats, so bonuses to those won't suppress each other even if both are from eg. an active effect. 

• Like 1

Without suppression, you could probably end up with something like 30 DEX, and then reach 40 with food and buffs, and then get 18 attacks a second or something.

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem, some of my gears bonus attribute (intelligence) are not counted, I understand now it was intended...

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...