Why doesn't the Endless Paths have an outcome on the ending?

You have gazillions of souls trapped in the Adra that makes it up, right?

Isn't the statue supposed to be like a giant soul battery?
Why doesn't Od Nua teach you how to use them? Isn't that why he built it to begin with?
Isn't that what made the Adra dragon so powerful, and why it chose the paths in the first place?

I feel as though this could have had a lot of potential.

I think it does affect the ending, albeit in a minor way. Some of the text regarding your stronghold is different. 

Yeah, lots of people/monsters in the Endless Paths were leeching energy off that statue. It seems like your character should be able to get some benefit there.

Not anymore, the Adra Dragon siphoned pretty much all of it.

???

She said she could feed off of them for another couple centuries, even with the roots severed. That's a lot of souls.

Why doesn't Od Nua teach you how to use them? Isn't that why he built it to begin with?

Isn't that what made the Adra dragon so powerful, and why it chose the paths in the first place?

I don't think there's anyone to teach you; the Fampyr in the middle killed all his friends to control the soul energy.  Od Nua is stuck in the past, and probably doesn't want you eating what is supposed to be his son.  There could be a neat souls leaching into the nearby land, making it stronger effect.

I don't think there's anyone to teach you; the Fampyr in the middle killed all his friends to control the soul energy.  Od Nua is stuck in the past, and probably doesn't want you eating what is supposed to be his son.  There could be a neat souls leaching into the nearby land, making it stronger effect.

See, what I don't understand is - the Dragon wants to use the statue as a conduit to both transmit itself from one form to another, and perhaps to continue leeching the power from the statue itself, right? I mean, why else would you need to put the medallion in it's hand?

So why can't you just reverse the transfer and trap it's soul in the statue after defeating it? Surely our protagonist should have no trouble with soul manipulation given his proclivities so far. Isn't it poetic justice to a certain extent that you trap it there? That instead of leeching off of everyone else, it becomes a source of power instead? Even in death, it's soul should still be radically powerful. And I mean, it's not even cruel given that this thing has no qualms about ****ing over basically anyone who enters the paths, despite having enough juice to keep itself alive for several centuries.

Edited by spardeous

• 4 months later...

All that said I also wished there was more to that story in the Endless paths. I never completed them as after lvl 9 it got boring and it felt more like a hack-slash RPG, a dungeon more reminding of Diablo 2. So, I also agree there was not such a great importance of the Endless P. as I expected.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

The outcome of the Endless Paths and its importance can be seen in PoE2 hehe....  ;)

PoE2 had not been announced when I wrote this post. Check the date.

As it turns out, my thought process seems to have been in line with the writers here.

I always kill that dragon, so I did not knew this second slide. The "boarding a ship" part makes me wonder : could we see possessed-Falanroed in PoE 2? I still have that save just before the fight against adra dragon. I could perfectly reload it and choose to accept its bargain before completing the game.

• Like 1

For what it's worth there *ARE* ending slides regarding the Endless Paths

I realize that, but it's not really what I was asking in OP. My thoughts on the matter have basically been confirmed(since the statue had enough juice left in it to k'now, facilitate the resurrection of a god).

In the OP, back before PoE2 was announced, I was wondering why it was never addressed in PoE, since some of the ending choices have to do with the topic of diverting soul energy to "repair" the Dyrwood, and it also could have been potentially used to weaken Thaos. I mentioned it above, but the Adra Dragon said she could live off the statue for another couple centuries, even with the roots severed.

More obvious to that is that firstly, it's right underneath the keep you live in and lord over, and second, because certainly there are still beings capable of harnessing the power of the it, I mean that's what attracted the Vithrack and most of the critters that inhabit the paths, yea? 

The machine in defiance bay should be(and lore-wise. most likely is) a pittance of soul energy compared to the statue.

In the OP, back before PoE2 was announced, I was wondering why it was never addressed in PoE, since some of the ending choices have to do with the topic of diverting soul energy to "repair" the Dyrwood, and it also could have been potentially used to weaken Thaos. I mentioned it above, but the Adra Dragon said she could live off the statue for another couple centuries, even with the roots severed.

Fair enough.

I feel kinda same about the lack of Twin Elms slides.

The "boarding a ship" part makes me wonder : could we see possessed-Falanroed in PoE 2?

So it would seem...

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...