I do see that... Guys, more love for Barbarians please ;) .

But seriously, what is it with monk being so low? And priest? And wizard? And (by now) ranger? And chanter?

all of these guys deserve more love :) .

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Not being the favorite class does not mean not being loved. For example, support class like priest rarely come on top, but I think they are really appreciated.

But you may select only one as favorite.

Paladins have always been very popular in CRPG, maybe for role-play reasons. PoE version is quite good as well as very interesting lore-wise (not being restricted to lawful stupid is nice).

PoE druids are just well done. Maybe they are tree-huggers and bee-lovers, but they will hug you with big claws and their bees do hurt a lot.

Monks do have a good design, but they just don't fit my playstyle.

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 1

For my favorite class it would be Priest for me; whether its supporting the party with buffs, keeping them alive with healing spells or going full on-offense with deity preferred weapons or all kinds of fiery spells. Wizards, Druids and Ciphers would probably be my next closest choices.

Fighter is my least favorite class and is also my least used class; they're mostly auto-attacking and are pretty boring.

I went with Monk as favorite and Priest as least liked.

The ability to make a heavy armored Juggernaut Monk is one of the great things about PoE. They are useful from start to finish. DnD always had the problem with Monks being worthless early and godlike at the end.

As for the Priest I just do not like buffing classes*. The game is either balanced around you needing the buffs which makes them required or the buffs trivialize the game's difficulty. I find PoE balanced such that I can roll without a Priest so I do so.

* Specifically active buffing classes. A passive buff like a Paladin aura or a Chanter I really like having on the team.

• Like 2

This poll is broken, so I'm skipping it.

I fixed it. And there is really no other way to be precise and graphical.

No you haven't. If your favorite class is in the third question, you still have to answer the second. Ergo the result is not valid.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

This poll is broken, so I'm skipping it.

I fixed it. And there is really no other way to be precise and graphical.

No you haven't. If your favorite class is in the third question, you still have to answer the second. Ergo the result is not valid.

Yes, quite. That's why a dev himself stopped by so I could fix this. I am just giving it a bit more time is all. Thanks for notifying me.

What have you voted for in second poll if you voted for Rogue in third? I'll need to have this info. You can pm it if you don't want to do it publicly.

Again, big thanks to shae.

You know he's right, mate. Too bad you can't change the poll now, since there are 15 poll options. Or can you?

Chanter is my runner-up.

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

My favorite is actually the cipher simply because of the unique and interesting place they have in the game itself.  That said my current playthrough I am not using one.  Fighter is probably #2.  My least favorite is easy, Monk.  I absareakinglutely hate asian fisticuff martial arts based monks in european themed RPG's.  I consider them the cancer of fantasy style games like Eternity.

• Like 2

My least favorite is easy, Monk.  I absareakinglutely hate asian fisticuff martial arts based monks in european themed RPG's.  I consider them the cancer of fantasy style games like Eternity.

Couldn't have said it better myself. You, sir, made my day.

• Like 1

My least favorite is easy, Monk.  I absareakinglutely hate asian fisticuff martial arts based monks in european themed RPG's.  I consider them the cancer of fantasy style games like Eternity.

Yes, I've never liked playing them as a class. Even an optimized monk character seems to need constant healing and is very limited until high levels. The monk in PoE was a worthy effort to address their weaknesses, but I found I still don't much like the class during play. I think I would have preferred some sort of battle mage instead; one specializing in unarmored combat by adopting, say, a Pankration style mixed with magical protections to help soak up the damage.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm really enjoying the Chanter right now, I guess I like the idea of passives and Chanters have passive effects in spades. I just got The Dragon Thrashed, and boy people weren't lying when they said it's strong - but I've still enjoyed the class up until this stage because of the sheer versatility.

I guess of all the classes, I think the Druid is a bit of a let down from my perspective. I would have wanted a greater emphasis on the spirit shift, perhaps unlocking it as 1 or 2 per encounter at higher levels. On the flip side, I don't think they're in any way a bad class - just not tailored to my taste exactly, but obviously everyone has different tastes and someone will like them perfectly as is.

• Like 1

Right, there is the completely fixed poll. Everyone that voted for Rogue and Cipher in the third, feel free to do so again.

Don't know about you guys, but I deleted my vote, tried to vote again in BOTH questions aaaaand:

Oops! Something went wrong!

You must cast your vote in each question of the poll.

Need Help?

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 1

Right, there is the completely fixed poll. Everyone that voted for Rogue and Cipher in the third, feel free to do so again.

Don't know about you guys, but I deleted my vote, tried to vote again in BOTH questions aaaaand:

Oops! Something went wrong!

You must cast your vote in each question of the poll.

Need Help?

Yes(happened to me too). Strange, that shouldn't happen.

Dev, mod anyone?

Ok, my thoughts on Classes:

Barbarian:

This is a nice if somewhat redundant class. While I appreciate them moving from the typical Hulk smash gameplay style, I just don't see the need to include this class within the group. All it does bring is some fears and some AoE damage. Both can be achieved at a much better rate via Priest, via Wizard etc. Don't get me wrong, I like this class a whole lot-especially its potential tanking style which would be completely active and fun. But I just don't see where to put it. I don't.

Chanter:

Eh, this is a class I desperately wanted to like. It is the very first class I picked up because the very notion of being walking Buff / Debuff cloud in a party game appeals to me very, very much. Then I learned the CC abilities of a Chanter. ...so what went wrong? I became aware of...limitations of Chanter which are quite severe-at least imo. The latest batch of limitations became aware to me after trying the class with Invocations turned ON at the beginning of combat(newest IE mod). Even without the old system where spells turned into per encounter abilities, the limitations are visible and severe. You can't really buff / debuff properly. Accuracy penalties? Deflection bonuses? They exist, but you can not achieve them at the same time and must wait for SO LONG. Heals? Some very, very light heals with a nice Invocation, granted. In short, this is not a proper way to buff / debuff. I remember in BG where you could play a Jester...and debuff so severely just with that song of his. Skald, normal Bard buffing potential? Neverwinter Nights Bards? The state of Chanter is downright depressing. It does have some nice abilities, but that's all it has imo(Dragon, lvl 3 Invo summons, Phantom summon, Paralyze Invo). The most recent limitation I became aware of is how SHORT those Invocations are. If you look at an average "fan ability"(like Ghost Blades), you'll notice it hovers around 5,0m / 90 degrees. Average "fan invocation" is 3,0m / 90 degrees. Meaning that the limitation is even more visible when you consider Ring of Overseeing, Int + area bonus etc. This also means you'll be stuck whacking and debuffing frontliners. Just...just why. I hope this class does not return in this form. They could've just taken Vanguard's Bard song composing and made Invocations cooldown based. They could've done so many things. Such a depressing class really. My least favourite due to how it let me down and how depressing it is. No, I don't find cookie cutters fun.

Cipher:

This class is very fun and very viable. Very dynamic too, which is always nice. Even if you let GM alone to spam the lvl 1 / 2 CC abilities, it'll still have been worth it by the end of combat. While it could be perhaps more...customisable when it comes to stats(currently, no matter what build you're playing, it's highly recommended to max Might, Dex and Int). Otherwise, there isn't a thing I can complain about them. I can say how fun they are, how Soul Shock is fun(it kinda reminds me of Ion Shell of Ish'Kafel) etc etc. A very nicely put together class.

Druid:

A personal favourite of many a player, I am sure. Not only can you stack Wildstrike burns(you can easily get +60% dmg because Wildstrike: Burn is on an item), you can cast while Spiritshifted(debatable choice, but ok), those forms are very formidable and to finish it off, Druid brings great damage and healing to a team via spells. I don't understand who can dislike this tbh(perhaps because it's so over the top?). Hiravias' behavior is a perfect analogy to the state of the entire class. I am not sure whether I can include in a team, otoh. That's the perfect irony within. Because both of those classes are just awesome.

Fighter:

It is...ok. I think I'd much prefer it in dps mode than in tank mode, but eh. One definite flaw is that it's too auto attack focused, but it was always like that. Just like another class I'll mention later. It is a perfectly functionable class that can and most likely will be the backbone of many a build(especially in tank mode). But all it brings is huge Engagement limit and some defensive boons. There is another frontline class that, imo, brings much, much more to a group. Still, I can't really argue against Fighter even tho it is kinda boring really.

Monk:

Or how to produce leet dps. But I am not certain how valid that is ever since the Novice's Suffering became a thing. Idk about you, but that talent seems VERY POWERFUL indeed. Which makes Monk as a class kinda moot. The design is nice, if somewhat of a conundrum. Potentially very, very powerful. Still, I find traditional Monks of IE games more of my thing(Kensai in BG or Monk in NWN-Improved Robes of Dark Sun ftw!). I also can't really find a place for it and because it is a short ranged melee combatant(as opposed to Barbarian who COULD use Reach weaponry), even less so. I see what they were trying to do, why bother when you can just snipe the important enemies?

Paladin:

A very useful and versatile class. I recommend using them in pairs, they fill melee roles perfectly. Then there are Ranged Gun builds based around absurdly powerful Flames of Devotion etc. I always try to find a place for at the very least Pallegina if not another defensive Paladin. Come to think of that, I see no reason to take defensive Fighter if you could take defensive Paladin instead...he provides so much, much more utility at the marginal cost of defense. Mostly at an opportunity cost of -2 Engagement limit, but what's it worth when you're providing those crazy feats of endurance AND support while you are at it. My very first playthrough was on a Shieldbearer and while I didn't realise FoD Deflection applied to everyone in an Area, it was still fun. If I took that too, it'd have been kinda OP especially when Palle does the melee damage and offensive support while my Shieldbearer does tanking and defensive support. So very, very nice.

Priest:

While it is a competent and fun class, I just don't find myself being pulled towards it like I usually am towards Clerics. In fact my only playthrough of BG II was on a Priest of Lathander, so there is that. I also enjoyed Clerics in NWNs very much. But here? Because of the hp system and some other things...they feel so...by the book and like a walking +deflection / +accuracy. While not bad and while those anti petrifies / charms etc come in useful at times...I just find them boring. More damage, more healing, more something. I don't know what it is, but they almost lack soul. I am not even sure whether those mores would do the trick(most likely they would not). But it sure is effective, if boring. A complete tool, heh. I wonder how'd Durance comment that(that he's a tool)?

Ranger:

This class almost acts as a "carry" within Pillars(somewhat alongside Rogue). The damage they can produce is apparent from level 3 / 4 onwards. With a wolf and those Sneak attacks on a pet etc...it'll be hitting for at the very least 20 damage and up to 50s. All while you are helping from range, the DoT ticking, later Stunning shots and Twin arrows...very, very powerful. I just don't like to micro the pet as much as it's necessary and in tight or narrow corridors, the pet can either get oneshot or stuck behind your frontline(thus making it completely useless). A nice class.

Rogue:

The king of damage that sports a surprising amount of support. What's not to like about this class that can also break the solo run? Well, the duration of a Sneak Attack for a starter. I don't know why it is capped by a duration and why it is so short. 2s in melee means you need to exchange your Rogue for an enemy, which even if usable at times, is a terrorist tactic and as such extreme. Ranged Rogues have often trouble hitting within those 2s when it counts-Guns. If the first Sneak Attack was uncapped from duration or the duration got lengthened to 5s, it'd be so much better. This way? I can't really recommend this class and I can't find a place on battlefield for it due to before mentioned issues. I like its active style tho, so very, very much. Especially with the guns blazing style, the damage is ridiculous. If only the Sneak Attack opener lasted longer. Ah well.

Wizard:

My favourite. It can do everything and is fun to boot. Can get obscene accuracies on its spells too(20 core + 10 from PER + 15 from Eldritch Aim + 10 common spell modifier...55 Spell Accuracy on level ONE. Let's see the peak value for a Disc.Barrage Fighter: 30 + 10 + 20...ok it's more, but only 5 more). So very, very fun and so effective too. If I could whine about one thing it'd be to restore the old per enc system for spells(but I don't really care for that because of IE mod, right? ;) ). Even without IE mod, this class is SO FUN, SO EFFECTIVE, so ULTIMATE. And you could reasonably use 2 or more of them. It also fits one of my favorite races perfectly(Glamfellen). I mean, I was always a fan of a Sorcerer or of a Warlock, but this...this is ungodly. #1 and a seal of approval! Really...good job Obsidian. Hope you outdo yourselves in Tyranny with Sorcerers. Keep up the good work!

My list of classes:

1. Wizard

2. (Chanter) IRL: Paladin

3. Rogue

4. Druid

5. Cipher

6. Barbarian

7. Fighter

8. Monk

9. Priest

10. Ranger

11. Unfortunately, Chanter

Least favorite - chanter. Devs tried to combine warrior, priest and mage in one character and the result is... meh.

Most favorie - ranger. You get two powerful chars for the price of one! And synergy makes them even more deadlier!

Edited by SkaenTemple

I chose you, Rogue! Seriously though, I don't have a least favourite class.

Current IWD 2 Party:

Gridley - Cleric of Bane - LN

Ogg Vorbis - Barbarian/Fighter - CG

Gorbid, Son of Gorb - Fighter/Cleric of Selune - TN

Don Juan - Fighter/Thief - CN

Junt the Unsane - Bard - CE

Trant - Tiefling Wizard - CE