RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

Wasn't going to buy Bethesda's games at release or on full price anyway. It's rare that I'd buy any game at full price on release these days.

Oh I have no problem rewarding talent with my hard-earned money, as soon as I actually know that said talent also produced a good product. I also realize that sales within a week or two after launch are about the most important ones for majority of gaming studios, which is why I sometimes do it in the first place, to put money where it's actually deserved. It's then that I get rather angry that decisions of some clueless higher-up negatively influencing their own picture. After all, actual developers, designers and artists (you know, the people who give life to this entire industry) are rarely at fault for dumb decisions like this.

Edit: Speaking of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76tSYX6ZxsA

Edited by Fenixp

Bethesda's new "anti-consumer review policy" seems to be stirring some pots in the interwebz.

Worth noting that review copies of the game Skyrim Enhanced Edition have been sent out for a week or so, just not to traditional media. Game journalists don't need to be your audience, game journalists are dead! I shall hereby indulge in an emoticon, just this once.

:lol:

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Bethesda's new "anti-consumer review policy" seems to be stirring some pots in the interwebz.

Worth noting that review copies of the game Skyrim Enhanced Edition have been sent out for a week or so, just not to traditional media.

Struck me as a bit weird too.

Though also inconsequential to my own stance on when and at what price to buy stuff.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Yes the media are useless so I can't see what is lost here, and in my opinion waiting a week after release (if not much longer) is only sensible anyway, i'll wait for in depth reviews that games media does not provide and is released maybe months later.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The post further explains that Bethesda “want everyone, including those in the media, to experience our games at the same time,” though they don’t specifically say why.

Well yeah. Captain Obvious told me that this way there is no time for negative reviews.

Not that I would buy a Bethesda game on release or at full price anyway, though. Fo4, Fo3, Skyrim, Oblivion... that tells a story when it comes to their RPG games. Besides, the general information policy around Fo4 was already *really* bad (or hey, pretty good from a marketing point of view). Remember, they always only presented material that was showing the player either walking randomly through the game world or shooting up stuff. There was not a bit of dialogue seen... or quests. And what happened then? Game got released and people found out that at least dialogue- and quest-wise, it's nothing but a big turd. :D

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The post further explains that Bethesda “want everyone, including those in the media, to experience our games at the same time,” though they don’t specifically say why.

Well yeah. Captain Obvious told me that this way there is no time for negative reviews.

Not that I would buy a Bethesda game on release or at full price anyway, though. Fo4, Fo3, Skyrim, Oblivion... that tells a story when it comes to their RPG games. Besides, the general information policy around Fo4 was already *really* bad (or hey, pretty good from a marketing point of view). Remember, they always only presented material that was showing the player either walking randomly through the game world or shooting up stuff. There was not a bit of dialogue seen... or quests. And what happened then? Game got released and people found out that at least dialogue- and quest-wise, it's nothing but a big turd. :D

Let's not forget that anything built on that engine launches with more bugs than a roach motel. The engine has its strengths, but day one playability isn't among them. I used the command prompt about 5 times on my first playthrough Of Skyrim to fix bugs. I'd hate to have been on console with it at launch. Edited by Ganrich

Struck me as a bit weird too.

Not weird per se, tell reviewers to talk positively about your game unless they won't receive it and many will make that behavior into a story. Tell so-called "Influencers" "Oh hey, do you want exclusive Youtube/Twitch views on this cool new game? Well promise us you'll praise it in your content in this agreement here and you can have it!" Not saying Betheda's doing this, but it feels fishy that only some select people receive a copy.

There's games by Bethesda and then there's games published by Bethesda. Anything created by Bethesda is invariably buggy piece of crap on release. Anything published by Bethesda, on the other hand, is well polished, optimized and functions extremely well (perhaps with the exception of Evil Within, altho I think that was fine too?)You have your Dishonored, Wolfenstein: The New Order, The Old Blood, 2016 version of DOOM.

That makes their decision even more puzzling to me, it seems that their QA department actually does really good job for games they publish (and completely ignores those they develop for whatever reason.)

Edited by Fenixp