RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

I'd say it is one of the best (in english) released mods for Fallout 2. Not that there are that many of em, but still.

It has some problems with combat balance, though. At some point the enemies suddenly become much stronger than you could level up from quests alone, so that's going to beat you down a bit, I guess (I just hate encounter farming for xp).

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

While that is true, that video is much more in depth discussion than your simple answer implies. Just wanted to point that out in case anyone would skip the video thinking it's some kind of clickbait. :p Big fan of Super Bunnyhop - always makes me look at games in a way I haven't before.

• Like 1

Apparently Rockstar is working on "Red Dead Retribution" right now. Awesome. Never felt very motivated for the GTA franchise since Vice City, but Red Dead is really hooking me.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Civ VI is preloading right now. *Nnnnnnghhh!*

Just one more turn, soon, and there will be multiple leaders this time, for absurd replayability. From the let's plays I've watched so far (far too much for my own sanity), I can tell it'll be excellent.

Oct 21st, time travel me there, please.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Just one more turn, soon, and there will be multiple leaders this time, for absurd replayability. From the let's plays I've watched so far (far too much for my own sanity), I can tell it'll be excellent.

Really? for me Civ 6 looks bland, boring, cartoony, mobile friendly UI and I am huge fan of civ franchise :/

well, different tastes probably, enjoy

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Really? for me Civ 6 looks bland, boring, cartoony, mobile friendly UI and I am huge fan of civ franchise :/

I agree with everything both of you said.

The game looks very bland, but I still can't wait to get to play it.

• Like 1

I love the gameplay of Civ, and couldn't care less about the graphics. I loved Civ1:

civilization.jpg

So why wouldn't I love Civ6?

civilization-vi-civ-6-announced-with-tra

And, everything they included in Brave New World is now part of Civ 6 from the get-go, including archaeology, spies, and what not. Also, for the first time, the mid-game won't be boring anymore. The game's much more think on your feet and be opportunistic, instead of clicking away until you fulfil a specific victory condition. Then again, I'm pretty mad about all civ games. I have thousands of hours on Civ5 alone, and that's not even my favourite civ game. I'm a big fan, so take my words with a huge pinch of salt. :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Yeah, and there are many more big, but rather obscure changes to the gameplay. For instance (ty, Marbozir), religious battles between apostles, or all the map lenses, new movement rules, housing, amenities, workers with limited uses (no more standing around workers), roads are built by trade networks (no more building roads and railroads - it's not Railroad Tycoon, after all), land appeal, and cool stuff like founding new cities not making techs or civics more expensive any more (instead each new settler, builder and district (exception: unique districts - these are cheaper and can be built in all cities) will cost more - this will be the "brake" when you're going wide and sprawl-y).

More news:

-captured settlers remain as settlers (yay!),

- razed cities (has to been done ASAP) are removed immediately and cannot be raised from the dead

-captured cities won't come with a resistance period any longer (no need for that standard Courthouse) *Phew!*

-boost food by removing jungles

-boost production by removing forests

-you get to keep your pantheon all through the game, even if you don't found a religion or switch religion

-units can move and be airlifted on the same turn (you need airport on both ends)

-If you capture cities, the original owner must cede them to you in a peace deal, if you want them to grow, regardless of amount of food available, otherwise just "occupied"

-unit promotions heal units a little (10hp)

-If you're a city state's suzerain you can pay that city state and then levy their military units for 30 turns. Cooool!

-You only need 1 copy of a strategic resource to build as many units as you like in a city with an Encampment. With 2 copies, you can recruit units in any city you control

-Spies may get captured, so, through trade, you can then buy or sell them back, as if they were any other commodity

-There's no global happiness. rather, each city has amenity requirements

I'd say, lots of annoying stuff has bravely been removed/changed! :)

• Like 1

You should have waited for reviews.

Didn't know they took out building roads and railroads. Not sure why that was a problem for people, but then again some found transports tedious so they got the change in Civ 5

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You should have waited for reviews.

Didn't know they took out building roads and railroads. Not sure why that was a problem for people, but then again some found transports tedious so they got the change in Civ 5

I never buy games based on reviews. As you may have gathered by now, I'm one of those guys who let me get swept away by the hype train and then pray there won't be any train wreck. And if I'm already a fan of a series, I'll pre-order, like in this case, or with Dishonored 2.

Luckily, after I already had preordered, I've watched several hours of gameplay (made by peeps who know how to play Civ, and not by those PR beanbags), and I truly believe I've struck gold here.

:p

• Like 1

Well I have seen units like bombers being produced in 800 AD so I would not call that good balance :)

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I might get it on release, probably should wait until I can take time off work though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well I have seen units like bombers being produced in 800 AD so I would not call that good balance :)

The gauntlet has been thrown! Not to brag, but after awhile I tend to become a pesky Deity player, so now I'll aim for Sherman tanks before Christ. :)

On a more serious note, these things are part of the charm of the entire Civ series. In certain lucky games, with the perfect starting place and some beelining, you will see absurdly early techs, at least early Medieval (around 500 AD). Personally, I love that aspect about Civ. For me, it's like a sandbox game, not chess - I'm more of a history buff who grabs the opportunity to play God a bit.

The gauntlet has been thrown! Not to brag, but after awhile I tend to become a pesky Deity player, so now I'll aim for Sherman tanks before Christ. :)

On a more serious note, these things are part of the charm of the entire Civ series. In certain lucky games, with the perfect starting place and some beelining, you will see absurdly early techs, at least early Medieval (around 500 AD). Personally, I love that aspect about Civ. For me, it's like a sandbox game, not chess - I'm more of a history buff who grabs the opportunity to play God a bit.

I play Diety as well but I usually am ahead of time around 1800 AD by 200 years or so if I b-line for science.

I am not that far ahead in tech, but I play on Marathon so maybe that affects things.

Well that and constant warfare.

Voice Actors threaten strike against EA, Activision and nine other companies

Last fall, members of the Screen Actors Guild‐American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) union publicly considered going on strike in an effort to secure better protection and pay for physically demanding work. This year, the group is threatening to strike, though its targets are a bit more specific: EA, Activision, and nine other industry employers.

On the organization's website, a post claims that union heads will be meeting this week to negotiate contracts "rooted in industry standards and best practices," and that, "unless you hear differently from us, effective Oct. 21 at 12:01 a.m., you should be prepared to strike the following video game employers with regard to all games that went into production after Feb. 17, 2015:

Activision Publishing, Inc.​​
Blindlight, LLC
Corps of Discovery Films
Disney Character Voices, Inc.
Electronic Arts Productions, Inc.​
Formosa Interactive, LLC
​Insomniac Games, Inc. ​
Interactive Associates, Inc.
Take 2Interactive Software​ ​
VoiceWorks Productions, Inc.​
​WB Games, Inc."

The post does not specify exactly what the union is seeking in these contract negotiations, though previous demands included performance bonuses on games that sold more than 2 million copies, a clear definition between voice actor and motion capture actors, and the aforementioned compensation for physically demanding voice work (such as loud screams).

Actors like Tara Strong, Steve Blum, and Jennifer Hale have expressed their solidarity with the union under the hashtag #performancematters on Twitter. Even Steven Ogg, AKA Trevor Phillips, AKA that guy in his underwear you saw on this site, has given his support.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I see. I'm almost always a builder and a sucker for gaming the system (min-maxing, just like I sometimes do in games like Baldur's Gate or Pillars of Eternity), so I tend to optimize certain plans that I plot, which often involves early teching and city growth, and now, with all those boosts to techs, I'll be doing that a lot, but much more opportunistically. It sounds like a really neat system (for instance, kill unit with slinger, get boost for teching Archery).

@Malc: Marathon, wow... I've never finished a Marathon game. In CiV, I never did. I played quite a few normal games, but as time went by, I began to warm up to the quick play format, which I most likely will try out early on this time, since I love to play Civ over and over, with different civs and goals in mind.

I see. I'm almost always a builder and a sucker for gaming the system (min-maxing, just like I sometimes do in games like Baldur's Gate or Pillars of Eternity), so I tend to optimize certain plans that I plot, which often involves early teching and city growth, and now, with all those boosts to techs, I'll be doing that a lot, but much more opportunistically. It sounds like a really neat system (for instance, kill unit with slinger, get boost for teching Archery).

@Malc: Marathon, wow... I've never finished a Marathon game. In CiV, I never did. I played quite a few normal games, but as time went by, I began to warm up to the quick play format, which I most likely will try out early on this time, since I love to play Civ over and over, with different civs and goals in mind.

I am playing on epic as I don't like how fast unique units or general all units get obsolate so fast

Voice Actors threaten strike against EA, Activision and nine other companies

Last fall, members of the Screen Actors Guild‐American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) union publicly considered going on strike in an effort to secure better protection and pay for physically demanding work. This year, the group is threatening to strike, though its targets are a bit more specific: EA, Activision, and nine other industry employers.

On the organization's website, a post claims that union heads will be meeting this week to negotiate contracts "rooted in industry standards and best practices," and that, "unless you hear differently from us, effective Oct. 21 at 12:01 a.m., you should be prepared to strike the following video game employers with regard to all games that went into production after Feb. 17, 2015:

Activision Publishing, Inc.​​

Blindlight, LLC

Corps of Discovery Films

Disney Character Voices, Inc.

Electronic Arts Productions, Inc.​

Formosa Interactive, LLC

​Insomniac Games, Inc. ​

Interactive Associates, Inc.

Take 2Interactive Software​ ​

VoiceWorks Productions, Inc.​

​WB Games, Inc."

The post does not specify exactly what the union is seeking in these contract negotiations, though previous demands included performance bonuses on games that sold more than 2 million copies, a clear definition between voice actor and motion capture actors, and the aforementioned compensation for physically demanding voice work (such as loud screams).

Actors like Tara Strong, Steve Blum, and Jennifer Hale have expressed their solidarity with the union under the hashtag #performancematters on Twitter. Even Steven Ogg, AKA Trevor Phillips, AKA that guy in his underwear you saw on this site, has given his support.

Wait until Matt Damon and the Film Actors Guild becomes involved!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOH9trJLedk

QAPLA'!

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!