RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

In Witcher 2 it wasn't much more sophisticated but it became a drag because you had to fight to time your attacks and dodges against controls made laggy by the underlying turn based system.

I thought it was laggy because of the emphasis on catering to the peasant/controller crowd, rather than using the one true control system of the PC Ubermensch.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Turn based Witcher combat would have been funny.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In Witcher 2 it wasn't much more sophisticated but it became a drag because you had to fight to time your attacks and dodges against controls made laggy by the underlying turn based system.

I thought it was laggy because of the emphasis on catering to the peasant/controller crowd, rather than using the one true control system of the PC Ubermensch.

One scheme to rule them all

One scheme to find them

One scheme to bring them all

And then the master race binds them.

• Like 2

It was laggy, IMO, because like Bioware, they don't know how to do action combat (unsurprising as this is more the expertise of japanese developers). They do some half assed solution where everything depends on the numbers and cooldown timers as opposed to responding quickly to what is happening on the screen - and even when they try the latter, like with the octopus fight, it turns out to be extremely clunky and poor. 

All the most intense third person action games are on consoles and use gamepads - which are more than capable of being extremely responsive. The guy who won Street Fighter IV EVO did it with a gamepad, and that is a game where you sometimes have 1 frame out of 60 to input moves. You can't really get that sort of thing on the keyboard, like they can't get a decent FPS controls to save their life.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Cough

cough.

Personally I think its trying to make a system that covers both: The laggy, imprecise nature of the peasants controller, and the clean, crisp, sharp and righteous mouse and keyboard of the chosen people. The end result just feels floaty and imprecise for the more evolved. I'm currently getting this with Revenant, there ought to be a seperate system for each and never the twain meet or compromise.

Edit: Or the peasantry should be culled and their consoles burned of course.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Are we seriously going to argue that keyboard and mouse are better for non shooter third person action games than a gamepad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUCFPBHoslg

This isn't button mashing and requires fairly good coordination.

• Like 1

Now don't be ridiculous! You can't compare the blessed gameplay of Severance with the silly jumping about and what have you that that young woman is doing, that's just weaboo weirdness not combat. Set to an absolutely horrible soundtrack I might add.

Edit: Just underlines my point that the peasants should be rounded up, put in a field and bombed.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

It's quite good for Dwarf, but the Amazon doesn't really need it, her rolling, responsiveness and vanilla armoury is enough on its own.

Edit: It's the same disappointing ending for each however.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

Are we seriously going to argue that keyboard and mouse are better for non shooter third person action games than a gamepad?

I literally had to go out and buy a cheap ass game pad to be able to beat this game... That witch with a guitar level was crazy hard.

This game deserves a remaster!

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

TW1 was just like BG with one character/NWN but with a simple combo and a few simple strategic considerations added. The part about the stances not adding anything is incorrect - you had overwhelming damage advantage in group stance vs groups (like enemies in the back dying from one or two hits in a single sweep) whereas the other styles were designed for 2 different types of enemies one on one.  All in all it was simple, fast and reasonably fluid.

In Witcher 2 it wasn't much more sophisticated but it became a drag because you had to fight to time your attacks and dodges against controls made laggy by the underlying turn based system. It was a poor example of its type.

But combat wasn't why that game sucked, it was just another annoyance among a ton of other problems.

W1 had underlying turn-based logic that incorporated a ton of automated effects and defensive parameters. It was essentially a hybrid approach to action and turn based combat. W2 was all ARPG up to the player skill 

I gotta say, I love the butthurt over that game's combat. Not perfect, but brutal, responsive and satisfying with a ton of toys to use against mobs. I still play arena once in a while. 

In DMC4 it sure is.

A game that expects you to constantly hold down 3 separate buttons is best played without wasting fingers on holding controller in the air. And don't even get me started on 'hold down' lag that many commands experience thanks to limited buttons on controllers.

Last expansion for Endless Legend, Tempest, adding a whole bunch of naval-based mechanics including naval warfare and a whole new faction centered around them, is coming out October 14th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKkSNFXOoDM

Oh, and Endless Space 2 released into Early Access today. Here, have the brilliant Vodyani faction intro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6rouSJad2I

Amplitude, I love you.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 3

I literally had to go out and buy a cheap ass game pad to be able to beat this game... That witch with a guitar level was crazy hard.

This game deserves a remaster!

The PS2 version was much harder than the PC version. Only game I ever said **** this, I'm outta here (due to difficulty and my fingers hurting so badly from trying to do all the combos). I never felt that much pain from using a controller in my life.  

The PS2 version was much harder than the PC version. Only game I ever said **** this, I'm outta here (due to difficulty and my fingers hurting so badly from trying to do all the combos). I never felt that much pain from using a controller in my life. 

Yeah, I heard about the original edition being impossibly hard. I can only imagine how hard it was, having played the special edition and finding it very challenging.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

All this Devil May Cry talk has me wanting to play Bayonetta 2 again.  Best damn combat system ever made.  Simple enough that just about anyone can pull off basic combos and beat the game at lower difficulties, all while looking like a badass, but with almost limitless depth and requiring insane skill and precision to pull off the most advanced techniques and to beat the game on the highest difficulty.

What I wouldn't give for an RPG with the writing and character development of Obsidian and the combat system prowess of Platinum.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

yeah, apparently Fig throws in a substantial amount of money (in case of Wasteland 3 it's 40% of the goal I think?)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

yeah, apparently Fig throws in a substantial amount of money (in case of Wasteland 3 it's 40% of the goal I think?)

I might be wrong, but I think you're talking about the financial breakdown? In which case, 40% of the game's total budget is what's raised through the Fig campaign, yeah.

The campaign also had an early preview that allowed people to pitch in early to invest, but I don't think that came from Fig's coffers (would be very shady if it did, in fact.)

• Like 1

@PS4 Mods: Doesn't allow custom assets though, which greatly limits the amount of mods.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I might be wrong, but I think you're talking about the financial breakdown? In which case, 40% of the game's total budget is what's raised through the Fig campaign, yeah.

yeah, I got it mixed up with the 40% InXile will provide, and apparently the 1.25 mil. from some other sources

1,25 million or so was pre-filled by investors, not by regular backers.
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.