RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

I don't know how much of the eventual profits they get but I'm guessing you'd need them to have the rights to a new Minecraft for the average user to get any trickle of money whatsoever.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

You don't have to invest on Fig, and in fact, IIRC the minimum sum to invest is $1000, so I expect most people to just go the classic reward-based crowdfunding route. I don't really understand investing in a videogame myself, but clearly there's some people who wanted to go through that route, judging by the investment amounts that we've seen for other projects on Fig.

I don't know why manufacturers are taking the VR thing seriously. Its never going to be more than a fringe interest.

Let's get decent new games at 1080p in 60fps first please. The current generation of consoles doesn't even have this basic **** down.

It's not really for games.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I don't know why manufacturers are taking the VR thing seriously. Its never going to be more than a fringe interest.

Let's get decent new games at 1080p in 60fps first please. The current generation of consoles doesn't even have this basic **** down.

It's not really for games.

Incoming Playstation Fleshulighto

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 2

Making a good blade takes weeks in real life, yet in most games you 'craft' one, using silly 'ingredients' in a few minutes.

And this is a problem because... ?

A guarantied way to make crafting worse is to make it real-time. I don't want to leave my computer on for ten years to get a master crafted sword.

It's a problem for me, because it kills the fun and makes the whole game feel silly and contrived. And the answer is simple: Get rid of it!

Making a good blade takes weeks in real life, yet in most games you 'craft' one, using silly 'ingredients' in a few minutes.

And this is a problem because... ?

A guarantied way to make crafting worse is to make it real-time. I don't want to leave my computer on for ten years to get a master crafted sword.

It's a problem for me, because it kills the fun and makes the whole game feel silly and contrived. And the answer is simple: Get rid of it!

This is the Todd Howard approach to troublesome mechanics  :dancing:

• Like 1

I like the clockwork level design shenanigans

But this is an arbitrary non-answer. What makes crafting a dealbreaker when compared to all of the other streamlined elements in videogames? Hell, even the most old-school RPGs generally let you do things like grab 5 platemails off the corpses of enemies that are double the size of your player character, and that's just one of many implausible things.

If you don't enjoy crafting mechanics, that's fine, there's a ton of perfectly legitimate criticism and preferences, but you haven't done a good job justifying it, in my very humble opinion.

The problem with crafting most of the time is, if its practically mandatory as is the case in Dark Souls, it forces you to do repetitive nonsense just to get a needed incremental update -a number that's only reflected in other numbers but not in "actual" gameplay value. All of a sudden your initially unimpressive sword one shots everything in the area. Okay.

If its not mandatory then its usually just something cluttering up your inventory like in the original Witcher. Yeah you could craft all those potions but 99% of the time if you even needed one it was the most basic kind.

Finally the actual act of crafting is usually going through a sequence of boring motions that are neither creative nor stimulating. In Minecraft you could argue that the experimentation was a part of the game and fun (when it wasn't illogical) but in most other games its just following a set recipe. Or being completely in the dark during the whole process for the lack of a recipe.

In fact it doesn't deserve to be called a recipe - real life cooking is a dynamic activity, in games its just a boring checklist.

I'm dreading what it'll turn out to be like in the new Zelda game - watching the cooking animation for the 40th time just to refill hearts doesn't sound appealing at all.

• Like 2

Old but so gud

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

Holy Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, this looks amazing:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=770691721

If this comes though, looking forward to sending Akulas, Victors, and Udaloys to Davey Jones' Locker. 

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Shame you can't play as the Soviets.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Do you think there's too much focus on balancing everything to perfection in modern games?

I have no idea what you possibly could be referring to.​

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Well, I have no idea what the person is referring to, as well... Balancing to perfection in modern games? Yeah, if you count microtransactions as a perfection, then maybe some modern games are balanced to withdraw as much from your balance as possible...

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I can understand the answer. If you haven't read up on all the codex drama and crying about Sawyer wanting to balance everything always, you might not know what exactly they ask here.

/Edit: Just reading the interview. I've never before heard about a mobile fortress for Fo2 and these story elements. It actually sounds pretty awesome... and now suddenly it feels like even that was ripped off by Bethesda for their Enclave mobile command center in that one Fo3 DLC.

God damnit. Suddenly I have the urge to continue working on my old Fo2 mod.

Also that idea about hatching a deathclaw egg sounds awesome. So much better than what we got later on.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Leonard, please make that Arcanum sequel/spiritual successor/whatever. I know you guys are probably working on a Vampire game, and I'm all for it, but Arcanum needs love too. If there was ever a Kickstarter I would throw money at.....

Interesting point of fact, as a side note, Arcanum just hit Steam a little over a week ago. It gave my cold dead heart a glimmer of hope.

• Like 1

Leonard, please make that Arcanum sequel/spiritual successor/whatever. I know you guys are probably working on a Vampire game, and I'm all for it, but Arcanum needs love too. If there was ever a Kickstarter I would throw money at.....

Interesting point of fact, as a side note, Arcanum just hit Steam a little over a week ago. It gave my cold dead heart a glimmer of hope.

I wholeheartedly agree...  with 2 caveats.  Make the combat not suck (pick turn-based or real-time and stick with it, don't try a hybrid again) and find at least some balance between magic and technology (to say Arcanum was unbalanced in this regard would be the understatement of the century).

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks