RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

What I'm interested in is where are the new IP's made with the same stroke of genius or inspiration that Fallout was made from? Something good that we haven't seen before.

I did point you to Sunless Sea in the other thread :-P And there's plenty where that came from, Indie scene can be incredibly imaginative - so I assume you're mainly speaking of AAA titles? Because if yes, you'd be right, those are playing it safe.

I'm talking about medium and big budget games.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

As for movies. Well, the movies you list are mostly very diverse. Its rarely a case of almost the exact same thing for the tenth time in a row.  And, well, at least 80% are terrible.

Well of that list, 20 are rip-offs of Mad Max and 15 are rip-offs of Night of the Living Dead.  Heck 8 are Planet of the Apes films and 4 of those films are the same basic story (albeit 1 of those is the inverse of that story).  And 80% of everything is "terrible", its the "law" of creative media.

What I'm interested in is where are the new IP's made with the same stroke of genius or inspiration that Fallout was made from?

I find it interesting that Fallout is seen as a "stroke of genius" given that it's origins are completely derivative - yes it built SPECIAL (because the already implemented GURPS system had to be removed because they didn't get the rights to it). Sure it created a tongue-in-cheek iconography and set its own tone.  But at the end of the day, the game is built on that which came before - Mad Max and Mad Max 2, Wasteland and X-Com.  It is as original as it is derivative.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hmm, the multiplayer they're talking about for Wasteland 3 sounds very... Original Sin 2-ish, kinda obvious where they got that idea ;-)

The camera thing and obvious inclusion of voice acting leaves me indifferent, at best. At worst voice acting detracts from the experience, like it did in PoE, at least for me.

Even in the context of other party-based RPGs, Wasteland is a bit of a reach for me because it has no real concept of a player character: you are the whole party. I just couldn't get into that mindset, and it's the difference between Fallout and Wasteland. It's for the same reason that I couldn't get into most of the RPGs of the past - series like the Gold Box games, Might and Magic, Wizardry, etc, I just can't get into.

I usually have the same problem

When possible, like in WL2, I just make one person for my party and recruit NPCs to fill it out

Free games updated 3/4/21

NEO Scavenger was a pretty fun post apoc game, but definitely not big budget.

It is raining

You are shivering

You are shivering uncontrollably

You have blisters

You have hypothermia

You have severe hypothermia

You froze to death

:( :( :(

(I liked the Neo Scavenger, but sometimes I think we need a word other than 'fun' to describe such 'roguelikes')

• Like 1

Roguelikes either hook you through sheer addictiveness and sense of progression or they're one of the most pointless genres in existence. I struggle to play them more than a couple of times because of how repetitive the whole experience gets.

Yeah, I got the email about the Wasteland 3 kickstarter (figstarter?) but the link just wants me to sign up for Fig, and that's not happening.  Hopefully some helpful people post all the "confidential" information somewhere (not that I'm going to back it...doubtful if it was on Kickstarter, no way on Fig.)

Gotta love how the video ends: "Keep in mind however, you do need a Playstation Camera for the PS VR to work..."

400$+100$ = 500 bucks for this mess of a contraption? I liked you for a while, Sony but Bloodborne was the only note worthy thing you delivered during this "gen".

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Yeah, I got the email about the Wasteland 3 kickstarter (figstarter?) but the link just wants me to sign up for Fig, and that's not happening. Hopefully some helpful people post all the "confidential" information somewhere (not that I'm going to back it...doubtful if it was on Kickstarter, no way on Fig.)

What is the issue with Fig?

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

It's yet another website that wants all our data. Not going to register there either. Not going to give any money anyway.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It's yet another website that wants all our data. Not going to register there either. Not going to give any money anyway.

Well compared to others, as I see, they offer you the option not only to pledge, but to invest in the game as well. So I think some need for info for registration is validated that way.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

But you don't just invest with 20€ and I don't trust them enough to think about a larger sum.

Also, I am no expert, but it isn't that easy and you can't "just" invest and be done with it, no?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I don't know why manufacturers are taking the VR thing seriously. Its never going to be more than a fringe interest.

Let's get decent new games at 1080p in 60fps first please. The current generation of consoles doesn't even have this basic **** down.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

What is the issue with Fig?

If you just want to pledge 20 or 50 bucks and (potentially) get the game ang a hat or something, it's essentially the same as Kickstarter. The investment thing is a bit suspect, though, if you read the fine print. It's set up in a way where Fig absolves iyself of the vast majority of responsibilities and removes much of the legal recourse available to the investor should the project go sour. Also, the project would need to be wildly succesful for the investor to make any sort of significant profit. In short, it's an extremely risky investment with only a small chance of significant returns, the kind of thing no seasoned investor would ever seriously entertain. Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah, I've calculated a bit back when this figstuff started and with my amateur skills it looks like this: Long time investment with a possibly low profit margin. Now considering how long the games are in development before release and then they (probably) aren't making that much money in return... Well, it seems to be more a thing for when you don't know what else to do with your money.

I registered for fig (under a username/email address I hardly use) just to see what the whole W3 thing is all about. It's ready to go live in 5 days time and everything is up already. Pledge tiers, etc. The investor thing is a little diabolical imo. I won't be taking part in it but can see a lot of people jumping in because 'investor'.

I feel the "investor" thing is there to distinguish it from Kickstarter/Indiegogo etc.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

As an investor myself, two things I look at is 1) making money and 2) tax minimisation. I honestly don't see how I'm minimising tax and no idea how much money I will make. It's not a good investment for me which is why I have no inclination to look into it any further.

At least with something like property, I can be cash flow positive with a property, negative gear at the same time, pay no tax from the property and reduce my work income tax from the property. The reduced work income tax from my job also gives me more money. Thus earning more money from my job due to a lower income tax rate due to having a 'paper loss' through my properties even though I'm cash positive with those properties, and paying no tax on my property income at all.  All perfectly legal for me.

I see no tax benefit with fig and the income is all up in the air.

• Like 1