RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

Honestly, this looks creepy as hell. :p

/Edit:

I wonder if you can already buy... you know... mechanical... hardware... adapter and so on.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

And now something completely different.

Star Citizen demo from August. I have found it only today, so sorry if it was already posted here.

I was never ever hyped so much after seeing a game video... to bad, that I will be probably 90, when this comes out :(

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

At that level of fidelity and complexity, hell will freeze over before the game builds up an amount of content respectable enough for a full release. I fully support the idea and toyed with the concept for years in my head, but its ludicrous to think it can work out when oiled machinery such as Activision burns through 50 million making a short, linear CoD game. Grand Theft Auto V cost 137 million, Destiny 140. 

Star Citizen has 123 mil and is implied to dwarf them in scope on every level, like 3 separate genres rolled into one. Plus, they must have burned through a ton of that cash up front hiring people, setting up etc.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I don't believe there will be that much cinematic content in StarCitizen. In the end it's probably mostly about audio and text. Keep in mind that SC is the multiplayer game, so it is probably mainly based on player to player interaction anyway, with lots of fetch quests (ship this over there and maybe shoot a little bit, then come back).

Squadron 42 will be much more cinematic, I'd guess. I am kinda wondering why we are hearing so little about it, though.

/Edit: Additionally, the world of StarCitizen won't be *that* big. It's no No Man's Sky with a billion of planets and space stations "to explore". If I remember right, they said in the last presentation that there will be only a few planets and space stations and that's it basically. Granted, the planets are damn huge, but don't expect a truckton of content around every corner.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The press is slamming The Last Guardian for bad controls and camera, saying its as bad as Shadow of the Colossus but that we can't forgive that in 2016.

How do I get out of this parallel universe?

At that level of fidelity and complexity, hell will freeze over before the game builds up an amount of content respectable enough for a full release. I fully support the idea and toyed with the concept for years in my head, but its ludicrous to think it can work out when oiled machinery such as Activision burns through 50 million making a short, linear CoD game. Grand Theft Auto V cost 137 million, Destiny 140. 

Star Citizen has 123 mil and is implied to dwarf them in scope on every level, like 3 separate genres rolled into one. Plus, they must have burned through a ton of that cash up front hiring people, setting up etc.

Well most of the budget on these 3 games was spent on marketing anyway.

I don't believe there will be that much cinematic content in StarCitizen. In the end it's probably mostly about audio and text. Keep in mind that SC is the multiplayer game, so it is probably mainly based on player to player interaction anyway, with lots of fetch quests (ship this over there and maybe shoot a little bit, then come back).

Squadron 42 will be much more cinematic, I'd guess. I am kinda wondering why we are hearing so little about it, though.

/Edit: Additionally, the world of StarCitizen won't be *that* big. It's no No Man's Sky with a billion of planets and space stations "to explore". If I remember right, they said in the last presentation that there will be only a few planets and space stations and that's it basically. Granted, the planets are damn huge, but don't expect a truckton of content around every corner.

I will always prefer small detailed universe, which I can explore whole, like Privateer 2 had, compared to billions of proceduraly generated worlds.

• Like 1

For those who backed Divinity: Original Sin 2 and are redeeming it through steam, you're actually able to download and start playing the game today as a treat from the developers.  Obviously, it's early access, but wanted to spread the word in case anyone was waiting.

'Adventure with up to 4 friends'.

This signals MMO design choices for me. Can't actually remember if this was in the first reboot game, if it was then I guess it's not so pronounced, which is a good thing for me at least. 

It allowed two-player co-op by default, but let each player control two party members each. Mods quickly allowed for four player co-op and it was such an obvious move that it's just implemented by default in the sequel. Really the puzzle is why they didn't do it the first time around.

Because the story was written around two characters. Now they have all these races and modifiers (eg. mystic, soldier) that basically "create" your goals in the game for you so it's supposed to scale a lot better.

Well, maybe the colour coded random-stat loot. Didn't like that aspect of the game, but at least when I found a decent weapon I could hold onto it for a reasonable length of time and not have to think too hard about it.

Pretty much all the "MMO-like" aspects of D:OS can be retraced back to the fact that Larian started the Divinity series by copy-pasting Diablo's gameplay loop, so they probably instinctively come back to some of those design elements.

Personally, I wish they'd drop stuff like being able to see the enemies' levels and the color-coded randomized loot, but that would require some pretty significant rethinking and they probably just don't want to do it. Plus, they can get away with that game-y stuff because Rivellon is a pretty silly place in the first place.

Agreed on the random loot. I hope at least major enemies drop fixed loot, haven't gotten that far in the Alpha yet. Also seems the game's tone so far has been quite a bit more serious than the first.

Edited by marelooke

I concluded that Nintendo has the most rabid and toxic fanbase in existence.

They were posting some Shin Megami Tensei IV reviews for the 3DS on Reddit and giving it 9/10 and I asked: how can you give SMT IV 9/10 when it looks like a strictly worse version of the now 13 years old Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne. It literally changes nothing from the formula except trying to make realistic graphics on the 3DS, so the game ends up looking like a PS 1 game. Worse of all, the series has its head stuck up so far the ass of ancient JRPG design that it can now only be played if you lived under a rock for the past two decades of gaming.

Boy did that start a ****storm. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

How can you expect after formulating your post that way anything else than ****storm?

How can you expect after formulating your post that way anything else than ****storm?

I just commented that 9/10 is too much for a game that's the same thing but worse as something released 13 years ago.  Not the rest of the stuff from the post above.

I don't even see anything contentious about it, its just common ****ing sense.

Not even Nocturne got such scores back in the day - so it appears SMTIV is somehow failing upwards.

well, some people do not care about graphics and find the old JRPG mechanics more entertaining than mindless walking around "open world" games. *shrugs*

I can see both sides of it, but tend to lean toward Mamo's side. Lack of innovation is not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes you don't need to fix what's not broken. For example, SMT Devil Survivor 2 is essentially the same exact game as Devil Survivor just with a new cast of characters and a new story. Basically nothing mechanically was changed or improved. I even liked the story and cast in the first game better. Yet Devil Survivor 2 is still a 9/10 for me.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So, now objectively worse sequel in a series that hasn't changed in 13 years somehow qualifies for critical acclaim?

Also Shin Megami Tensei is now somehow in the same league as (insert favorite) Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and other 9/10, JRPG cream of the crop type games? Despite no game in the series (that I've played - and that list includes Persona 3/4, Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1+2) ever being anything but gibberish in the story department, at most decent in production values and gameplay (if that's your sort of thing).

The **** is the point of scoring games if showing up gets you a 9/10. Come on guys, we're not IGN here

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

I think you are confusing subjective with objective, Drowsy. Sone people feel 4 > 3. Also, a game can be worse than its predecessor and still be 9/10. I'll go back to Devil Survivor 2 as a 9/10 example of a game I find inferior to its predecessor. Also, FF and Chrono Trigger do not own exclusive rights to the all time jRPG greats club, despite what some people would like to believe.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I think you are confusing subjective with objective, Drowsy. Sone people feel 4 > 3. Also, a game can be worse than its predecessor and still be 9/10. I'll go back to Devil Survivor 2 as a 9/10 example of a game I find inferior to its predecessor. Also, FF and Chrono Trigger do not own exclusive rights to the all time jRPG greats club, despite what some people would like to believe.

Suikoden 2 gets that crown.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Look, each review is a subjective opinion. But there are still some standards of excellence in the gaming world.

There are compelling reasons why games like FF (or at least some of them), Chrono Trigger etc. are regarded as they are - and I can see that even though I personally may not like them.

For example, I'm not enamored with Chrono Trigger at all - in fact, I played it only recently, but to anyone who has played the genre its immediately apparent why the game is considered great. Excellent pacing, story stripped from many of the most obnoxious JRPG conventions, fluid and relatively fast combat, variety and inventiveness in setting - all great for its time and very good even today. 

Final Fantasy games had insane production values for their time and most of them pack a decent story and gameplay as well. And the series at least tries to reinvent itself with every iteration - even if it fails occasionally.

These are just two examples.

By comparison, what does SMT have that makes it qualify to be in the same crowd? In my experience these are games that have intriguing ideas that they never manage to deliver on married to rote dungeon crawling and, essentially, a grittier version of pokemon.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

While I agree with you that SMT IV was a big letdown (and shouldn't ever be put in a 9/10 score), if you don't like SMT:Nocturne, Persona 3, Persona 4, Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army or Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon then the SMT series as a whole is probably not ever going to be for you.  Because to me those were all excellent games that I enjoyed playing multiple times.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Normally I'd be against banning a developer or publisher from a sales platform, even though Valve is within their rights to allow or block anyone they want. That said, Digital Homicide are straight up scammers and thugs and to hell with them.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸