RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

Well, lot of people do not posses the skill to judge themselves objectively ;-)

And I have my doubts, that Bio Boards were an excepion to this rule.

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Well after they got away with that IGN reporter "cameo" in ME3 I guess this is just the natural next step in ensuring their actors are as unqualified as possible.

Such a wasted opportunity to tackle the issue of ethics in video game journalism... alas. But at least we banged, ok. ( :brows: )

Regardless, I've seen fan voice acting that was at least decent (1), so it's certainly not an impossibility. If they aren't restricted to the extremely reduced pool of hot video game "journalist" broads to pick from, I don't see why not.

I'm not expecting Tony Jay, but it's just a marketing gimmick and the clips will be used for some random nobody on the equivalent of the Citadel.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

FFVII is a game that really doesn't need a remake. I know a lot of people hold it dear to their hearts but the game was principally famous for looking better than anything else at the time... which is no longer the case.

Having played it years later, IMO the story and the characters really don't hold up all that well. 

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Having played it years later, IMO the story and the characters really don't hold up all that well.

I kinda feel like it also depends on how old you are when playing it. The game's very clearly targeted towards younger teenage demographic and I think it works for it, but the moment you start caring about such nonsense as fleshed-out worldbuilding, well... It falls apart. I think Final Fantasy IX aged a lot better, throwing a lot of the angst away and trying to be much more of a fairy tale, which happens to work significantly better for the fantastical worlds Square Enix creates.
  • Like 1

Yep same thing. But also Arthas was Kerrigan back in WarCraft 3, and so was Sylvanas.

Hm maybe. Illidan looks like he'll be Kerrigan a la SC2. Still don't see why people like him as a character.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I kinda feel like it also depends on how old you are when playing it. The game's very clearly targeted towards younger teenage demographic and I think it works for it, but the moment you start caring about such nonsense as fleshed-out worldbuilding, well... It falls apart. I think Final Fantasy IX aged a lot better, throwing a lot of the angst away and trying to be much more of a fairy tale, which happens to work significantly better for the fantastical worlds Square Enix creates.

I played only a little of FFIX but it definitely leaves a better first impression than either VIII or VII. VI and X also start off rather well. So does XII but it takes so long to get anywhere and then, paradoxically, stops and goes nowhere.

I only ever finished IV, VII, X, X-2 and XII though. And I might play IX when I'm able to swallow JRPG combat again.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

the game was principally famous for looking better than anything else at the time

The game was principally famous for being a generation's introduction to fantasy. This is largely the same reason why X is popular, too.

It has likable characters and a decent fantasy story with interesting turns.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

the game was principally famous for looking better than anything else at the time

The game was principally famous for being a generation's introduction to fantasy. This is largely the same reason why X is popular, too.

It has likable characters and a decent fantasy story with interesting turns.

*shrug* I played both VII and X years after release and found that X held up better in almost every way. There was nothing about VII that I felt was really remarkable, whereas Chrono Trigger and FFVI strike me as more relevant titles today.

Then again I have a visceral hatred for early 3D graphics, chibis, angsty teenagers and grainy pre-rendered backgrounds, so it was an uphill thing from the start.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

Mine was US III aka Japan VI.  Then picked up II aka IV which I didn't like as much.

Didn't like VII, VIII, IX or X as much as VI (III) but did like them (even VIII which was much maligned at the time).  I think I've played all of the first ten in some fashion, plus X2.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

angsty teenagers

But you thought X held up? Tidus is the angstiest teen, spending all game complaining about how his dad didn't love him.

That's why I'm no fan of X.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

angsty teenagers

But you thought X held up? Tidus is the angstiest teen, spending all game complaining about how his dad didn't love him.

That's why I'm no fan of X.

I never got that vibe from him. He has "issues" but his general personality is infinitely more upbeat than the likes of Cloud, Squall, the protagonist of Persona 3 all of which are dark and brooding (insofar as they have any personality at all) for the sake of being dark and brooding - both in behavior and visual design. Tidus is a kid. He thinks like a kid, has kid "problems" and behaves like a kid but never at any point commits the sin of pretending to be something else. 

I am unashamed to say I really liked FF VIII.  It's no FF VI, but once that game set the bar for the series nothing has ever come close to matching it, so measuring jRPG games against FF VI is kind of unfair.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hm. I think my first Final Fantasy was... VIII.

same here, really liked how it jumped between characters all the time. but I still think IX is a better game overall (better than most Final Fantasies that I've played, which is not much: from 6 to 10 (disqualifying 10-2, because it was just too weird for me to get into))

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I'm just sick of corruption-this, corruption-that storylines that have been the stock and trade of the series since day one. There's enough corruption in the history of WoW to make any third-world dictator blush. It's not interesting, it's not compelling, it's just lazy.

I do admit that the basis of the entire expansion has put me off since the outset though, when the driver behind the whole thing is resurrecting your most recognisable dead villains yet again, you can't help but feel it both cynical and desperate at the same time.

Oh, so that's why Illidan is showing up everywhere again. Guess they weren't inspired enough to get back to the Legion with new villains on top of the obvious not-dead old one: Kil'jaeden. Would've been nice to finally make him kick the bucket but I guess it'd probably be rather anticlimactic given how they gutted raiding with the raid finder introduction, assuming they didn't get rid of that again (highly doubt it).

A good Burning Legion focused expansion could've maybe gotten me to reinstall WoW after all these years, but bringing Illidan back is just lazy. At least Kael'thas doesn't appear to be back again after having been "back again" already...

Edited by marelooke

Everyone using Roman numerals over the last page or so is really discombobulating. :ninja: For the record, I've only ever played FF7, and it was fine, I finished it, but wasn't sufficiently impressed to go on and play other games in the series.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Only played FF8 on pc and only 4 of 5 CDs. Couldn't bear it anymore after that, because it felt like every CD / chapter was basically the same story just with different characters.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I hate FF8, hated it when it was released and i always will. PC port was utter garbage as well.

FF7 i like but i couldn't replay it today. Same with FF6 or FF9, both of which i like even more. The only other FF game and the last i'd played was FF13, i didn't even bother to finish it.

So as far as FF games go, only some nice memories remain but the interest in playing any is gone.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Yeah, my experience with FF7 was with the shoddy PC port as well which would have coloured my experience. The 3D acceleration was only possible under 3dfx Glide so I had to sit through the very slow software rendering, which was particularly problematic when summon spells were involved. A later patch supported 3D acceleration for the nVidia Riva 128 but it was far from polished.

The game also famously came with a sizable portion of the controls mapped to the numpad by default. If you didn't have a numpad, then like many laptop owners found, you had to wait for a later patch to let you remap the keys before launching the game because while it was possible to rebind keys ....you needed access to the numpad in the first place to do that.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

"I am unashamed to say I really liked FF VIII.  It's no FF VI, but once that game set the bar for the series nothing has ever come close to matching it, so measuring jRPG games against FF VI is kind of unfair."

V > X > XIII-III > IV > X-2 > XIII-I >VIII > IX > XIII-II > VII > XII > VI

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.