RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Can't believe Interplay still exists in 2016. How the hell are they doing this? If I'll ever have my own firm and will be in financial troubles, I'll hire the Caen's to handle the situation.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

No. Atari isn't in a position to buy anything above the occasional latte, they're iply level of solvency themselves. Though you could probably buy interplay's name for the cost of a latte nowadays and certainly would after they've sold all their IP off.

It's not difficult to keep a company going forever so long as you don't have much/ any debt or outgoings. You just have to keep up the statutorily mandated stuff. Indeed, while Interplay is/ was designed to make money plenty of companies are designed solely to lose it as a way to minimise taxes. I wouldn't be taking a Caen on as a financial advisor, personally, they may be decent at staving off the inevitable but they're also very good at making it inevitable in the first place.

Interplay pretty much exists as a way to attract investors with old names like 'Black Isle'- probably well and truly tapped out now, except for actually selling the name- and for cashing cheques for back catalogue sales on gog and steam, which much also be close to tapped out. They'd love a Nordic/ Deep Silver or Night Dive/ Retroism- or CDPR/ GOG even- type to come along and buy them at this point hence the sales in the article, as it's the only way to make any further money.

Edited by Zoraptor

That's rather underwhelming.

PS4 Pro revealed. What's the point of better hardware if games are still primarily made for the regular PS4? Without truly exclusive titles the hardware boost is almost destined to be underutilized. 

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Every soul on this planet was asking Sony to go for a 1080p @ 60 fps experience and instead they focus on 4K. What is funny is that the damn thing can't even play 4K Blu-ray(Something the Xbox One S is perfectly capable of). Their reason for that seems to be 'We want to focus purely on gaming'.

...yeah right! Seriously now, do these guys play video games at all?!

I'll just stick to my PS4, it can play a whole lot of games just fine. I am thinking of checking out the PS2onPS4 games since I didn't play that many PS2 games back in the days and missed cool titles such as Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy and Forbidden Siren among other things.

Shooo! Shooo PS4 Pro! Nobody likes you!!!

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

It's an interesting role reversal since the PS3. Back then Sony were interested in pushing the Blu-ray medium as hard as possible to combat HD DVD, so BD playback was a huge deal. Now that they're the incumbent, I guess that reason goes away. I guess they make more money selling overpriced standalone 4K BD players? MS don't sell those, and therefore have no such compunctions.

Not that it matters much for me. I'll go 4K once 4K OLEDs are $2000 and 4K BD players are $100, i.e. about a third of current prices.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Every soul on this planet was asking Sony to go for a 1080p @ 60 fps experience and instead they focus on 4K. What is funny is that the damn thing can't even play 4K Blu-ray(Something the Xbox One S is perfectly capable of). Their reason for that seems to be 'We want to focus purely on gaming'.

...yeah right! Seriously now, do these guys play video games at all?!

I'll just stick to my PS4, it can play a whole lot of games just fine. I am thinking of checking out the PS2onPS4 games since I didn't play that many PS2 games back in the days and missed cool titles such as Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy and Forbidden Siren among other things.

Shooo! Shooo PS4 Pro! Nobody likes you!!!

IMO the very best of PS2 boils down to Shadow of the Colossus, Silent Hill 2 and Final Fantasy X. I know FFX is available on the PS4 but not whether the other two are.

If you can stomach JRPG's in general there are plenty of them but my tolerance for the genre's conventions died the night I finished Persona 3 FES. I looked back and realized that out of the 70 hours I dumped into the game, 50 were spent in mindless random battles and 20 in what turned out to be a nonsensical, convoluted story, which more or less sums up every JRPG I ever played.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

That's rather underwhelming.

PS4 Pro revealed. What's the point of better hardware if games are still primarily made for the regular PS4? Without truly exclusive titles the hardware boost is almost destined to be underutilized.

The main/only reason for this piece of HW is Playstation VR. It works on current PS4, but it's performance is underwhelming.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

VR, top kek.

The poor thing keeps coming back as if its ever going to gain widespread acceptance.

That you can't replace the parts of when your 15$ power unit or 30$ drive dies out of warranty.

B7U3cChCQAEYaZu.jpg

Jokes aside, consoles used to be about convenience, lower price and exclusives. All three are really debatable these days.

• Like 5

LOL. Looking at these IPs is like reading the Games you want that'll likely never exist thread. A Descent game being the exception of course.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

That you can't replace the parts of when your 15$ power unit or 30$ drive dies out of warranty.

B7U3cChCQAEYaZu.jpg

Jokes aside, consoles used to be about convenience, lower price and exclusives. All three are really debatable these days.

There are tons of Playstation or Nintendo only exclusives. Most of them are just out of your radar, because of gaming preferences, which is alright of course. On PS3 out of my 41 games, which I own, are 32 games Playstation exclusives. On PS4, out of 8 my games are 5 Playstation exclusives.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Nintendo has its own staples, albeit tied to a console that's already dead.

The XBone has almost none and the PS4. Well,  of widely popular games released on it, it has Bloodborne, Uncharted 4. Rachet and Clank? All sequelitis in other words. Fifth iteration of some franchise or other along with rehashed and remastered PS3 and PS2 games.  I'm not saying that's bad but its not exactly thrilling either. The rest might as well be the sound of crickets.

Back in the day, not having a PS2 or even a PS3 really cut you out of a significant portion of released games. There were even brand new must play masterpieces on those consoles. I don't see that happening these days. With almost everything being multiplat, only Nintendo is really laden with exclusives because they know their IP is worth more than their consoles and devices (i.e. if they went multiplat their hardware would be dead in the water).

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

I don't see that happening these days.

MGS5 is for PC as well. Anyway, I'm so glad that vast majority of AAA titles see multiplatform releases - my computer supports a wide array of control methods, can be connected to TV and (at least until the release of the new versions of newest console generation anyway) massively outpowers all of them. I'm very glad I no longer need to have 3 computers with slightly different architecture and arbitrary limitations so that I can play everything I'm interested in.

The way I see it, consoles should be sold on advantages they can offer over computers - they can easily offer the whole "Living room entertainment system" experience, add smart TV functionality, more convenience to gaming etc., etc. - the sooner platform exclusivity gets obliterated the better.

• Like 1