RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

Everybody needs to play The Dark Mod. Any new interesting maps around?

The most recently released are Penny Dreadful 3: Erasing the Trail, Volta and the Stone, Full Moon Fever, and King of Diamonds.  I have not played any of them yet, nor the previous Penny Dreadful missions, so I can't comment on them... yet.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Isn't Penny Dreadful a tv show?

That it is.  Surely not the first time community (or professional, for that matter) made adventures took inspiration from popular culture.

Open MW has released a new version.  At this point, Morrowind is fully playable from start to finish and bug fixing is about all that's left.  The 2 biggest things left missing are shadows and distant lands.  Once those 2 things get added back in, methinks it's time for me to revisit Vvardenfell.

:dancing:

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Isn't Penny Dreadful a tv show?

More importantly, penny dreadfuls were short criminal stories widespread at the end of 18th century. Completely unrelated to the current discussion, but I do love this quote:

It is almost a daily occurrence with magistrates to have before them boys who, having read a number of 'dreadfuls', followed the examples set forth in such publications, robbed their employers, bought revolvers with the proceeds, and finished by running away from home, and installing themselves in the back streets as 'highwaymen'. This and many other evils the 'penny dreadful' is responsible for. It makes thieves of the coming generation, and so helps fill our gaols.

Juvenoia for the win!

bug fixing is about all that's left

So it's now just like the original engine then!

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

Did anyone notice Paradox's RPG survery? I'm too lazy to search through threads to know if someone's already mentioned it -if it's not a thread than maybe it should be one. Looks as though they're trying to use the survey to prime their next development, which is hopefully a World of Darkness game  :yes:

Yep, was mentioned a couple times

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Did anyone notice Paradox's RPG survery? I'm too lazy to search through threads to know if someone's already mentioned it -if it's not a thread than maybe it should be one. Looks as though they're trying to use the survey to prime their next development, which is hopefully a World of Darkness game  :yes:

Yep, was mentioned a couple times

Good to know, these forums can move quite fast compared to the dedicated game forums.

Funny you should write that.  In the video detailing the latest release the narrator remarks that the OpenMW engine is likely in a more bug-free state now than Morrowind's engine was at launch.  Given Bethesda's track record of releasing hilariously broken games (and getting a free pass from popular media "10/10 best game evar!") that seems quite plausible.

• Like 5

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

The people working on that Morrowind -> Skyrim port should make all their stuff for OpenMW, imo. Then with new engine features, better light, better shadows, etc. this could turn out super cool.

Then again, I am not even sure if people still work on this Skywind thingy.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Funny you should write that.  In the video detailing the latest release the narrator remarks that the OpenMW engine is likely in a more bug-free state now than Morrowind's engine was at launch.  Given Bethesda's track record of releasing hilariously broken games (and getting a free pass from popular media "10/10 best game evar!") that seems quite plausible.

Here at work we have this saying: "If you put the barrier low enough..." ;-)

• Like 2

It always surprises me how fanatical and apologist Bethesda fans* are, I mean for a maker of what are at best mediocre games, and are at worst pointless larping aids, Bethesda really do inspire amazing levels of self delusion, loyalty and hype.

*Should clarify, those on their official forums, they're almost rabid.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

It always surprises me how fanatical and apologist Bethesda fans* are, I mean for a maker of what are at best mediocre games, and are at worst pointless larping aids, Bethesda really do inspire amazing levels of self delusion, loyalty and hype.

*Should clarify, those on their official forums, they're almost rabid.

I don't think it is too surprising.  They do two things well, and that is creating large open worlds, and then letting people mod the heck out of them.  Plus people love to larp.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 4

It always surprises me how fanatical and apologist Bethesda fans* are, I mean for a maker of what are at best mediocre games, and are at worst pointless larping aids, Bethesda really do inspire amazing levels of self delusion, loyalty and hype

Alternatively, there's a slim chance people exist who enjoy things you don't enjoy.

That said, defending Bethesda's "10/10 GOTY" in spite of Bethesda almost never innovating and almost always screwing up at some level is rather strange.

The people working on that Morrowind -> Skyrim port should make all their stuff for OpenMW, imo. Then with new engine features, better light, better shadows, etc. this could turn out super cool.

Then again, I am not even sure if people still work on this Skywind thingy.

They're actually creating new assets for the engine port? I thought they're just reworking original Morrowind's assets to run on new engine.

Edited by Fenixp

Nope, it's a 100% complete remake with all assets being redone. As far as I am aware, they aren't porting anything (this was done already, I think).

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

There are like 3 Morrowind projects at the moment. OpenMW which is replacing the old gamebryo engine for Morrowind and letting players import all necessary assets from their Morrowind install to play it in the new engine, Skywind is morrowind built in Skyrim's engine with Skyrim's graphics and combat, and Morrowind Rebirth is a complete graphical overhaul of Morrowind.

OpenMW is the more interesting and impressive IMHO. They are aiming for it being compatible with all Morrowind mods while replacing the engine and upgrading sections to more modern standards. It should allow modders to make Morrowind look nearly as good as Skyrim while retaining all of Morrowind's gameplay. I believe the graphics and animation capabilities are two areas they are improving, but my memory is foggy.

• Like 1

I only need them to improve the combat mechanics and add coop to the game, I will play the hell out of this new Morrowind, if they do deliver these two

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I only need them to improve the combat mechanics and add coop to the game, I will play the hell out of this new Morrowind, if they do deliver these two

The goal is to stay faithful to the original Morrowind, especially mechanically. Buut it's an open sourced project so there's nothing that prevents people from implementing these features (altho especially co-op would be rather tricky to properly implement into an engine which is not built for multiplayer from the ground up)

The goal is to stay faithful to the original Morrowind, especially mechanically. Buut it's an open sourced project so there's nothing that prevents people from implementing these features (altho especially co-op would be rather tricky to properly implement into an engine which is not built for multiplayer from the ground up)

I believe OpenMW will have coop support baked into the engine. How that will work I am unsure.

However, OpenMW is trying to stay true to Morrowind mechanically. If someone was wanting that stuff to be overhauled then Skywind is probably the project to look into. I'm of the mind that if you change the leveling system and combat that you will lose what made Morrowind great, but to each their own.

I'm only quoting the devs themselves ;)

Post 1.0 Wishlist:

• Additional platform support: Android, FreeBSD (and variants), iOS, Raspberry Pi and more.
  • Allow much greater modability: change game rules, create new spell effects, etc. through scripting.
  • Debugging support via OpenMW-CS for content.
  • Plugins for OpenMW-CS, such as Terrain import, export and generation.
  • Improved game mechanics and combat.
  • Improved the interface and journal system.
  • Multiplayer support, at least some form of co-op.
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I'll guess I would try the game in coop with someone at some point. Wouldn't expect it to fully work, though, as the game really wasn't made with multiplayer in mind. There is lots of stuff that can go wrong then (how does dialogue work if multiple people speak at the same time with quest relevant npcs? Independent cell loading? Sharing of variables? etc)