RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

Wow, development cost of 70 million for what is not even the latest "tech pushing" triple AAA title. And it even looks like it reuses a lot of assets from the previous game on top of that.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Wow, development cost of 70 million for what is not even the latest "tech pushing" triple AAA title. And it even looks like it reuses a lot of assets from the previous game on top of that.

I'm surprised that they would budget that much for a Deus Ex game, but it is definitely at the bleeding edge of current technology.  Also not sure what you are talking about with reused assets.  

edit:  Pretty sure it's a different engine.

Edited by Hurlshot

Well, AFAIK you can use same graphical assets in different engines, if you use 3rd party 3D editor and import it to the engine later.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Well, AFAIK you can use same graphical assets in different engines, if you use 3rd party 3D editor and import it to the engine later.

Sure, that would make sense.  I imagine a lot of development houses do this when they can.  I just don't see why it would matter to the player unless it looked out of place in the game.

Well gor me it's not an big issue, some games i loved used the reuse of assets and maps for their sequels. If it does not feel out of place, it can help with releaae of sequel in a timely manner.

I'm surprised that they would budget that much for a Deus Ex game, but it is definitely at the bleeding edge of current technology. Also not sure what you are talking about with reused assets.

edit: Pretty sure it's a different engine.

A lot of the animations and models look the same or only slightly modified to me, but then this is just based on YouTube videos.

The reason I mentioned it, is that if they did reuse assets, that implies that the original game was even more expensive to make.

That's why I assume Mass Effect 2 looked so much better than the first game, as a significant amount of work was already done, allowing Bioware to improve what's already there instead of doing it over again.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

Jim Sterling have managed to get in touch with some insider from Eidos Montreal development team, and got pretty interesting information about the development of the game in the final phase + some more other juicy bits. (Like development cost of 70 millions).

This Jimquisition is worthy of watching, even if you do not like the guy.

I don't know mate. While the video is informative if true, seems to me like management/the higher-ups/suits are just doing what they've been hired to do -- the butthurt is misplaced. You won't find (m)any people going "YAY microtransactions in my single player game!", but look at the profits these big name publishers are raking in. The market rules, and the market keeps vindicating EA/Ubi/SQEnix/etc, year after year.

Might be time to find another hobby. Or just stick with the odd indie, once every few years.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

We live in a quality golden age.. There's so much good content out there that it's physically impossible to play it all. Of course there's also a lot of ****.. But throw most of the current EA/Ubi/SQ AAA game to the late 90s consumer and they would call it a masterpiece. It's just that we are getting a little saturated, like the movie industry.

Fortune favors the bald.

Well I am prefering Indie gaming last few years, and I am finding older games which I have never played before and enjoying them much more than current AAA stuff. So I think I will not need to change my hobby anytime soon. There are really so mamy games released nowadays, that man can really have whatever he wants. Well except single player Space Sims, which we still lack a lot :-(

• Like 5

Well I am prefering Indie gaming last few years, and I am finding older games which I have never played before and enjoying them much more than current AAA stuff. So I think I will not need to change my hobby anytime soon. There are really so mamy games released nowadays, that man can really have whatever he wants. Well except single player Space Sims, which we still lack a lot :-(

In my case, I'm just tired of the "routine". High budgeted games have all been more or less the same, gameplay wise, for over a decade now. Former pure PC genres I used to enjoy have either devolved into mediocrity, like adventure games or died out (real time strategy, even turn based). 

Yes, we get a lot of games, but actual variety and innovation are scarce.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 2

But throw most of the current EA/Ubi/SQ AAA game to the late 90s consumer and they would call it a masterpiece.

In the '90s I imagined gaming would be in a far different place from what it is in now. Truly hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Edit: Buzz Killington at your service.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

We live in a quality golden age.. There's so much good content out there that it's physically impossible to play it all. Of course there's also a lot of ****.. But throw most of the current EA/Ubi/SQ AAA game to the late 90s consumer and they would call it a masterpiece. It's just that we are getting a little saturated, like the movie industry.

Big means bland, whether we are talking about the latest Marvel movie, Transformers 41 or Ascreed 61. They are all made by committee with the intent of trying to please as large a demographic as possible and by their very nature are unable to develop into something genuinely interesting or controversial. I'm not saying game developers necessarily attempt to create great art or unique games, just that with the current climate that's impossible for a large production.  

Now of course all those games play and look much better than anything made 25 years ago, all that money has to go somewhere, and if you are just playing a FPS maybe the rest doesn't matter that much. As for actual RPG games (an RPG is not anything with an inventory and looting) or games with dialouge or all the little creative indie niche games, things are pretty dire. They usually, in the majority anyway, do not have the resources to hold your attention for more than a day or two after you got them. 

• Like 2

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Jim Sterling have managed to get in touch with some insider from Eidos Montreal development team, and got pretty interesting information about the development of the game in the final phase + some more other juicy bits. (Like development cost of 70 millions).

This Jimquisition is worthy of watching, even if you do not like the guy.

Why does he do the silly character on a podium. It would be better without. Anyway he's always good for a bit of antiestablismentarian pro consumerism.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I misinterpreted you, then. I assumed you at least somewhat care about AAA gaming, what with you posting that Jim Sterling rant and so forth. I'm in the same boat, myself. I built a gaming rig recently... but have close to no interest in any AAA titles. And I've tried. Couldn't stand DAI's MMO-lite gameplay for more than 3-4 hours. DOOM came free with my display -- still prefer Brutal Doom. The games I've enjoyed the most in 2016 are Age of Decadence and Fallout 1.5 Resurrection. I'm currently playing Fallout New Vegas with a bajillion mods, a game that came out in 2010. Need to check what all the hoopla around TW3 is about, though.

@Ros: I am a late 90's consumer, and early 2000's. A ton of bells and whistles covering completely unambitious design a masterpiece does not make.

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I had the same thing when I bought my last PC. Started retroactively checking on all the fancy things I missed out and was like:

LeXNalMXQvWihlR6ljP2_c12.gif

• Like 3

Titan Quest receives a 10 year anniversary update:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/31/titan-quest-anniversary-edition-free-update/

I just checked Steam and it's there alright, achievements and all! Titan Quest is one of my favourite action RPG's so this is great (and unexpected) news!

This reminded me of that game former Sacred devs are now working on, "Unbended"

Seems to be dead in the water right now.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Big means bland, whether we are talking about the latest Marvel movie, Transformers 41 or Ascreed 61. They are all made by committee with the intent of trying to please as large a demographic as possible and by their very nature are unable to develop into something genuinely interesting or controversial. I'm not saying game developers necessarily attempt to create great art or unique games, just that with the current climate that's impossible for a large production.  

Now of course all those games play and look much better than anything made 25 years ago, all that money has to go somewhere, and if you are just playing a FPS maybe the rest doesn't matter that much. As for actual RPG games (an RPG is not anything with an inventory and looting) or games with dialouge or all the little creative indie niche games, things are pretty dire. They usually, in the majority anyway, do not have the resources to hold your attention for more than a day or two after you got them.

I don't get why there aren't more games produced in the $8-10 million region. That's where Alpha Protocol and Bloodlines sat, two of my favorite games, which weren't profitable due to garbage reviews and probably some marketing. Today you wouldn't really need marketing that much, so where are those games? I hope whatever Boyarsky and Cain are working on is something along those lines, otherwise I don't care much about anything new, whether AAA or indie. Plenty of older and better games to play, save for the rare exception, and even that's a stretch.

• Like 2

AP bombed b/c it sucked. Stop defending that trash since it does a disservice to Obsidian who has actually made good games.

This might be hard to grasp, but some people actually enjoyed AP.

• Like 4
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"I don't get why there aren't more games produced in the $8-10 million region. That's where Alpha Protocol and Bloodlines sat, two of my favorite games, which weren't profitable due to garbage reviews and probably some marketing. Today you wouldn't really need marketing that much, so where are those games? I hope whatever Boyarsky and Cain are working on is something along those lines, otherwise I don't care much about anything new, whether AAA or indie. Plenty of older and better games to play, save for the rare exception, and even that's a stretch."

Games from Euro devs like Larian, Spiders, Cyanide, etc.

Edited by HoonDing
  • Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The prequel to Stasis is drawing near. New game trailer released.

CAYNE will be absolutely free to download and enjoy. It is a freestanding chapter, so you won't need STASIS to play CAYNE. It will be available on STEAM and directly from the developers site.

http://www.playcayne.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f99QQf4l_w

• Like 2

So this is from June, but I couldn't find any post about it.

Looks like Dishonered 2 is shaping up to be pretty bad ass.

I especially like the sequence from 14:40, creative approach.

@Ros: I am a late 90's consumer, and early 2000's. A ton of bells and whistles covering completely unambitious design a masterpiece does not make.

So am I and most of the games from that time could be applied the same criticism- there were a small handful of very creative and very groundbreaking games, which all spawned an endless stream of copies..

Sure Doom was awesome - but was Redneck Rampage? 

Not much has changed, the scale just got bigger.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.