What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

Hmmm... looks like it could be decent. Glad I have Netflix :)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Flash Finale Spoilers.

Wildly uneven finale for a wildly uneven season. I was surprised how affected I was by HR dying, considering it isn't a permanent or unexpected death and we'll inevitably get Mime Wells or Cowboy Wells next year. Guess you really can't spell hero without HR. But the lead walking off into the sunset didn't work for Arrow and won't work here as surely nobody believes Flash is actually gone any more than people believed Arrow wouldn't have its title character after their S3.

Overall, sloppy and self indulgent season where they doubled down on the weaknesses of S2 but it did have some good episodes. The reliance on time shenanigans and arbitrary speedforce explanations seems fundamental at this point which is a shame. It's utterly impossible for them to have a self consistent long term story with them in play. There's a whole lot of self indulgence there as well, with Killer Frost one shotting Black Flash (wish Eobard had Captain Cold in Legends so he wouldn't get punked by BF; oh wait, he did) and Savitar should have been actual Future Barry rather than a time remnant who I suspected was going to break into the 'Ronery' song from Team America half the time he was on screen. Time remnants are a fundamentally broken concept designed only to take away logical consequences. So we'll probably get one shoved into the Speedforce next year to get Barry back...

• Like 1

Samurai Jack ending was predictable, kind of rushed, maybe they should have gone for 12 episodes instead of 10.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Twin Peaks season 3....what a great return. Feels more like David Lynch's newer films than old Twin peaks, but that's alright.

Also liking American Gods and what I've seen of Master of None s2 so far. So much good tv these days.

Didn't think it was much good, but maybe that's just me. Evil Cooper was alright, nothing else much of note other than some bad acting and scenes that lingered far too long. Seemed more like uninspired Lynch to me.

Lol true, but it was usually delivered with a big slice of cheese. This felt like those small segments in Lynch's later works that were good in small doses, save for those later short films, which were just bad. That was my issue, those scenes just lingered and weren't compelling. It really just felt like watered down Lynch, repeating himself.

Here's my tiny review on the season finales:

Gotham = Whatever

Supergirl= Okay

Flash = Good

Arrow = Amazing

For those who have watched them, do you agree or disagree?

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I did like the in-joke on Arrow about the wig given the fanfun that's been poked about it from the pilot episode.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Arrow's finale was about as good as you can get from a show of its type. There were a few minor criticisms to be had- the villain was too smart ('see you on the boat' from the previous episode was a little indulgent) but well enough written and played that it didn't detract; and I fundamentally dislike that type of ending, plus there was a little too much to squeeze in to a commercial hour- but they're pretty minor. The whole season was excellent overall, a complete change from the previous season which was dreadful. Spartacus reunion in a Suicide Squad/ Rogues type program, please.

Supergirl was OK. Liked it better/ more consistently overall than Flash's finale, though I didn't actually dislike the Flash finale, but it wasn't particularly memorable. The Girl Power stuff (more show less tell please, it is already called Supergirl after all) and politics (no one cares that the president can't be president?) is still cringey.

Gotham... hasn't had its finale yet?

• Like 1

Supergirl beating Superman in a fight bugged me in the finale. He is bigger, stronger, has more combat experience, etc.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Supergirl being stronger is (supposedly at least) comic accurate.

Plus the show is called Supergirl. Much like the Flash* she tends to get nerfed down to the power level of whichever villain she is fighting each week, so a solid win with minimal shenanigans is kind of refreshing.

*run straight at the gorilla's shield, Barry! What can go wrong?

Supergirl beating Superman in a fight bugged me in the finale. He is bigger, stronger, has more combat experience, etc.

I thought that was weird too... especially with the fact that he emphasized on power-status by saying "No, I was at my full power".

At the same time, Melissa Benoist does look great wet! :D

Gotham... hasn't had its finale yet?

Ahhh okay, that makes sense.

Gotham and Arrow are my favorite shows to date. I always loved the Batman universe as a kid. I knew nothing of Green Arrow as a character until I was introduces to Smallville. Good ole times I came in late to watch the Arrow season, my first episode was when the first appearance of Cupid (everyone on facebook was saying how hot she was lol) then I went back to episode one and just caught up. Great shows, even if not 100% accurate - I wouldn't know since I do not follow the comics or anything like that.

I felt super-old when I ran into this video and was like who is that?!

https://youtu.be/Vpu5i0EYZbg

And because I like Tatyana as Wonder Woman more than Gal Gadot, I'll post this as well :)

https://youtu.be/aR0pREAUzaQ

Modern comics Supergirl was at one time portrayed as 'stronger' due to not having grown up having to suppress her powers like Clark did as she arrived as a teenager.  Not sure if that applies to the episode as I'm not watching the show.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Bad acting IS Twin Peaks dude!

This weeks episodes were better, not so much with acting, placeholder quality actors are a Lynch staple at this point, but there's just going to be a mix of good and bad scenes. Nothing in between. It's a mess, but a watchable mess in Lynch fashion.

Modern comics Supergirl was at one time portrayed as 'stronger' due to not having grown up having to suppress her powers like Clark did as she arrived as a teenager.  Not sure if that applies to the episode as I'm not watching the show.

Young Kara uses her powers once in a first season flashback, saving a woman and child from a burning car, until Pa Danvers admonishes that their lives are at risk if she continues. Every episode in both seasons begins with a monologue explaining she was forced to conceal herself as a child on Earth, so it's unlikely lack of suppression influenced Supergirl's defeat of Superman. I didn't mind it, I thought it was unexpected and fun. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Preacher may diverge from the comics in spots, but at the very least they got Herr Starr right:

7CBBmnr.jpg

However I'll be tremendously disappointed if he doesn't get the scar on the top of his dome at some point.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Catching up on the last few episodes of season 4's Blacklist.

Seems to have all the secrets coming out, and I have to say, Requiem and all the flashbacks from Mr Kaplan revealing the depth of history there was a bit of a surprise twist.

Picked up the dvd set of Highlander the Raven, the spin-off show from Highlander the tv series. The interviews of what brought it together, the stresses, the background politics, and the relationships that were all wrong are all explained. It's interesting just how upfront everyone is about the issues that ran through shooting the series.

Stumbled on a show from 2000 - Queen of Swords.  Basically, if Zorro were a woman - it has a bunch of the cast from the old Highlander tv shows in it.

Stylish, glossy, some nicely handled swordfights, and with that slightly cheesy over-the-top edge of campness with the villains that suit the pulp adventure of a Zorro story.