What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

I am forcing myself to keep watching the new season of Twin Peaks, its really annoying because I dont understand half of what is going on and who some of the people are suppose to  be , for example who is Duggie and why is he so stupid ? 

But I am loving the new seasons of Magicians, Blue Bloods, Outcast and new series like American Gods, the Son, Gomorrah and Chicago PD  so Im spoilt for choice 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I thought American Gods is pretty boring so far. It has promising ideas, but every episode is such a drag for the most of it... First season is over soon, but I feel like not much happened at all.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

HuluPlus is quite handy these days. No commercials. I mean, even Comcast's On-Demand of recent episodes of a current season still plays the ads. So as long as HuluPlus has no ads, I'll keep subbing. Between them, Netflix and Amazon, there's always something to watch or catch up on when I'm in a TV mood.

Designated Survivor is kind of a guilty pleasure show. It's totally over the top, melodrama, redonkulous. Yet just like the series 24, I keep pressing "next episode" because it's like not being able to stop yourself from reaching for another pizza.

Hulu also had a dubbed version of Season 1 of Attack on Titan (anime) and I finally got hubby to watch it that way (he hates subtitles, too slow of a reader). I didn't think he'd like it, actually - he's not an anime fan at all and this one is a bit strange - but he ended up sitting through the whole thing in a couple nights, vs. walking out of the room after an episode or two. I don't think he loved it - but he seemed to at least find it watchable/entertaining. Sadly, the (shorter) 2nd season is only subtitled so far, so he won't watch that with me.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Supergirl being stronger is (supposedly at least) comic accurate.

Modern comics Supergirl was at one time portrayed as 'stronger' due to not having grown up having to suppress her powers like Clark did as she arrived as a teenager.  Not sure if that applies to the episode as I'm not watching the show.

Young Kara uses her powers once in a first season flashback, saving a woman and child from a burning car, until Pa Danvers admonishes that their lives are at risk if she continues. Every episode in both seasons begins with a monologue explaining she was forced to conceal herself as a child on Earth, so it's unlikely lack of suppression influenced Supergirl's defeat of Superman. I didn't mind it, I thought it was unexpected and fun.

Was Suprgirl's name always Kara Danvers in the comics? I am so old that I can't remember lol I could have sworn that her name was originally Kara Kent and that the new Danvers name is just a rebuttle to Captain Marvel's Carol Danvers. I remember watching the old Supergirl show with Billie Jean but I'm pretty sure her name on there was Kara Kent. Just curious.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Supergirl being stronger is (supposedly at least) comic accurate.

Modern comics Supergirl was at one time portrayed as 'stronger' due to not having grown up having to suppress her powers like Clark did as she arrived as a teenager.  Not sure if that applies to the episode as I'm not watching the show.

Young Kara uses her powers once in a first season flashback, saving a woman and child from a burning car, until Pa Danvers admonishes that their lives are at risk if she continues. Every episode in both seasons begins with a monologue explaining she was forced to conceal herself as a child on Earth, so it's unlikely lack of suppression influenced Supergirl's defeat of Superman. I didn't mind it, I thought it was unexpected and fun.

Was Suprgirl's name always Kara Danvers in the comics? I am so old that I can't remember lol I could have sworn that her name was originally Kara Kent and that the new Danvers name is just a rebuttle to Captain Marvel's Carol Danvers. I remember watching the old Supergirl show with Billie Jean but I'm pretty sure her name on there was Kara Kent. Just curious.

She was originally Linda Danvers. Superboy(clone version) went by Connor Kent.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

So I've been binge-watching the Korean drama series "Man to Man" (via Netflix) the past couple days. The episodes are extra long, around 100 minutes each I think. The first episode felt like 45 minutes of "last week on" with the way it tried to show the history of the main character in these very fast-cut, narrated scenes but after that the show has a more normal scene-format and becomes less confusing/more solidified. The mixture of cop-mystery-drama, action, comedy, and occasional anime-like reaction-shot moments (chr. blinks their eyes and they add "boop boopboop" noises) is rather charming, if a bit off the wall and silly.

Is there any other way to watch more such shows (legally) on the internet? I noticed Amazon Prime links to a site that showcases Asian action movies, these days. Maybe something like that, only for Asian TV series? Or would I have to just take stabs in the dark and buy whole series that are available on DVD instead.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Is there any other way to watch more such shows (legally) on the internet? I noticed Amazon Prime links to a site that showcases Asian action movies, these days. Maybe something like that, only for Asian TV series? Or would I have to just take stabs in the dark and buy whole series that are available on DVD instead.

Ah....found it. DramaFever website.

Awesome. Now to immerse myself.

Goblin: The Lonely and Great God

...wanted to see this because of Gong Yoo (the lead in Train to Busan). May not be the sort of fantasy/drama series most here would like but yeah...it was great. The dry humor and bro-mance between the Goblin and the Reaper were my fave parts, but even the melodrama captured me. Past life mysteries/tragedies, romantic tragedies, atmospheric camera work, a fantastic soundtrack, a lot of plot threads all weaving together to make for quite a moving and satisfying 16 episode journey. Although I personally could've done with about 15-20% less emphasis on "chrs stare into each others eyes for super long moments" romantic scenes and a little more emphasis on the drama/humor. Still, absolutely loved it.

Also, the one humorous scene that referenced Train to Busan caught me by surprise and was absolutely hilarious.

• Like 1

Ah....found it. DramaFever website.

Awesome. Now to immerse myself.

You might want to hunt down Sars-Fansubs.  They do a lot of unofficial translations and providing for download, but for various reasons it doesn't qualify as illegal torrenting or wotnot. When a Japanese or Korean drama show actually comes out on an official translatable dvd or what have you in the western world they take down the shows they've made available through fan subbing.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Not sure if anyone here has heard of this but..

America's Got Talent is always interesting and never gets old. Mainly because you can never know what to expect and because it's one of the most diverse and controversial shows out there. It sparks interest, naturally.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Catching up and binge watched a few seasons over the last few weeks.

Black Sails Season 4. Enjoyed the ending and I think they ran out of ideas. Good they stopped and didn't milk it.

Continent 7 Antarctica. Amazing documentary series. 

Grimm Season 6. Loved the ending. No more Grimm. :(

The 100 Season 4. Quite ridiculous at times for some viewers but I enjoy it. I don't care about the science or plot holes.

The Blacklist Season 4.

The Blacklist Redemption. Cancelled after one season and should only be one season imo. I liked it for what it was.

The Expanse Season 2.

The Magicians Season 2.

Now I'm catching up on the DC universe. Arrow, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow and Supergirl. And will watch Gotham as well.

Hmm...

Tor - Tremors small-screen sequel with Kevin Bacon for SyFy

Almost fifteen years after Syfy’s Tremors television series got cancelled, the network is taking another stab at transferring the monster movie franchise to the small screen. But instead of a spinoff, like the 2003 series, this new project is going the route of Starz’s Ash vs. Evil Dead and having Kevin Bacon reprise his role from the 1990 cult classic.

In the original movie (which has since spawned a franchise of direct-to-video sequels), repairman Valentine McKee (Bacon) discovered giant, worm-like monsters called Graboids lurking beneath the town of Perfection, NV. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Tremors sequel series picks up 25 years later and find Valentine “attempting to save the town again—but this time, also battling age, alcohol and a delusional hero complex.” Andrew Miller (The Secret Circle, League of Pan) will write the pilot.

In a press release, Bacon shared his excitement to play Valentine again: “This is the only character I’ve played that I’ve ever thought about revisiting. I just got to thinking, where would this guy end up after 25 years? Andrew Miller has a fantastic take on it and we hope to create a show that will be fun and scary for fans of the movie and folks that have yet to discover it. Let’s kick some Graboid ass!”

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Michael Gross or Tremors in name only. :lol:

Totally this. So much so. :biggrin:

Preacher S2 E1&2

Seemed like a long hiatus between seasons but I cant help but love the hyperviolence.

am wondering if season 2 can keep up the pace it has set so far.  how to describe?  if terry gilliam were directing a deadpool sequel, it would be like season 2 o' preacher.   

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Preacher S2 E1&2

Seemed like a long hiatus between seasons but I cant help but love the hyperviolence.

Gotta say if you're aware of what getting maced is like getting headshotted by the Saint of Killers is almost a mercy after macing one's own junk... almost.

And I know that since it's on basic cable it needs to tone down the sex stuff, but I'll be tremendously disappointed if Herr Starr doesn't get that scar carved on the top of his dome at some point in this series.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Trash, if it wasn't clear before that Marvel is stretching themselves too thin, well now it should be.

I guess they are taking the same metrics that Netflix uses. They should be making enough content that they are canceling things. After all, if your not right at the optimal peak of venture capitalism then your leaving money on the table.

• Like 2

Well, I guess that goes to show that cinematography is not about the cameras you use but the person behind them. That's an utterly stale, cheap and unremarkable look regardless of it being shot on IMAX - you reckon a bit more money and attention could have gone into the production design instead. Dreadful stuff.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Eh, its a TV show with a little more money thrown at it to show the first two episodes on IMAX screens; I don't think it was going to ever look like anything other than a TV show.

Its still sad to see Medusa's prehensile hair (she's defeated Venom with it!) so reduced.  Wonder if they'll explain why she's not using it regularly...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Eh, its a TV show with a little more money thrown at it to show the first two episodes on IMAX screens; I don't think it was going to ever look like anything other than a TV show.

That would be less of a problem if it weren't that TV has gone way and beyond the 4:3 closeup-ridden sitcom look. With Twin Peaks, American Gods, Legion, The Handmaid's Tale, Fargo, Taboo and the upcoming new seasons for Game of Thrones and Stranger Things all within this year alone, I don't think its medium can excuse this sort of flat, cheap SyFy-esque aesthetic anymore, and less so when you plan to release it in IMAX and try to make of it some huge television technical breakthrough.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden