What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

Farscape: It's a little Torment-ish isn't it? Two things stick out, one the obsession with food, and two Moya dying is becoming rather an overused device.

If it was the standard "some engineering thing has gone wrong with the ship / ships reactor / ships engines that will kill us all" would it be as noticeable as "the living ship is dying because of x"?  ;)

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yeah, I think that trope was even worse in the Star Treks if you thought of the _X_ as being living rather than an object. The NG Enterprise spent about half an average season broken down, about to be destroyed, with people being kidnapped off it, being captured, trapped in [phenomenon] etc and it was meant to be at least partly a warship and a top of the line star ship in general- not the rough equivalent of a garbage scow or container transport like Moya. It was probably even higher than half the time for the Voyager. It's just too useful a plot device in general when you have a restricted environment and want to drive the plot with something urgent.

• Like 1

Yes I find the adherence to the device both overused and under realised, the one exception I found tolerable of late being the Firefly episode "Out of Gas." Partially because of how deadly space is (rightly) depicted as. You never get that sense of danger when Captain Whomever is sat in their big comfy chair calmly issuing orders, you just know that the status quo will be restored by the episodes end.

I'd like to see something like Das Boot in space really.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

One thing I really loved about Farscape was Crichton losing his sanity in the latter seasons.  Nice bit of character development considering the ridiculous things he's endured.

Damn, why did they not make Firefly Season 2.

Cos Nathan Fillion is too busy promoting bull**** solar projects  :dancing:

I'm guessing this is Travis Fimmel/Ragnar's last season of Vikings. As they are obviously setting up for his death under the king of Northumbria and Ivar leading the great heathen army.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I really can't get into Vikings and I don't understand why everyone likes that show so much. A long time ago I started with season 1, but quit it after about half the season, because it felt so dumb. Now a few weeks back I tried it again, because people keep talking good about that show... but again, I really can't get warm with it. Finished season 1, but it was just urgh... And I really don't like that main dude. He feels so unsympathetic to me.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Vikings only need one trick, to go viking

so is it ernest borgnine viking

or vladimir kulich viking?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Her casting comes shortly after three Klingon roles and three Starfleet officers have been cast. Michelle Yeoh, Doug Jones, Anthony Rapp, Shazad Latif, Mary Chieffo and Chris Obi also star.

I recognize at least 2 of those names

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Sonequa Martin-Green lead role in Star Trek Discovery meets with my approval. She will continue to play as Sasha on TWD.

we don't know much 'bout her, but it helps keep things in perspective as one recollects patrick stewarts' resume before tng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efd9zcjn5JM

yeah, avery brooks were already one o' the baddest men on tv when he took command at deep space 9, but star trek (tv)  hasn't had to rely on big name stars to make big impact.

HA! Good Fun!

ps kinda the opposite from ss on the casting choices as we recognize all save chieffo and obi.  had to google those two actors... and we still got no idea who they are.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Sonequa Martin-Green lead role in Star Trek Discovery meets with my approval. She will continue to play as Sasha on TWD.

But Michelle Yeoh is the captain so should she be the lead?

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

But Michelle Yeoh is the captain so should she be the lead?

being the captain hardly necessitates being the lead.  

the real question is why there needs be an announced lead at all.  tell stories from different character pov each week is actual common for star trek.  wanna get a bit more removed from the captain's chair for the new star trek is doable, but the notion o' a primary protagonist for a star trek show one assumes will last multiple seasons strikes us as unnecessary.  

HA! Good Fun!

Spectral was also recommended to me by Netflix.  It was pretty decent.  Kind of had an XCom feel with this scientist who kept upgrading gear on the fly to fight new enemies.  I mean, they make a plasma gun at the end.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

The historical sources and speculations are much more interesting than a TV show. That said I don't think TV Ragnar does a bad job, it's just all getting a bit samey and boring. Happens to every show. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnar_Lodbrok

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Watched the first episode of Luther, and... well.. how to say... I can't shake off the feeling the writers started to furiously **** anytime they were able to have that Luther character say some pretentious crap. Luther is so good, Luther has a painful past, Luther knows everything the very moment he put a foot on a crime scene, etc... It all reminds me a bit of Bosch, but Bosch is - for me right now - the better of the two.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

the real question is why there needs be an announced lead at all.  tell stories from different character pov each week is actual common for star trek.  wanna get a bit more removed from the captain's chair for the new star trek is doable, but the notion o' a primary protagonist for a star trek show one assumes will last multiple seasons strikes us as unnecessary.  

HA! Good Fun!

My memory is that Discovery is set to tell a serial story with this charter as the protagonist. The next series may focus on a different character and so onm

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The historical sources and speculations are much more interesting than a TV show. That said I don't think TV Ragnar does a bad job, it's just all getting a bit samey and boring. Happens to every show.

Well if he dies this season and Ivar and Bjorn take over, that should change things up a bit.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg