What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

Old thread here.

Last couple of replies

Is that a show or a movie? It actually doesn't look too bad.

It's a show, it airs on FOX September 21, 2016

Cancelled September 28, 2016

Haha. Well, the Rush Hour one was awful (oh Bill Lawrence, what has happened to you?) and deserved its early cancellation. This looks much better.

- as for me, I've been watching Stranger Things, Vikings and The Expanse.

All really good shows actually, we're living in a tv series golden age I think.
  • Like 12

Fortune favors the bald.

If Lethal Weapon is good, it's pretty much guaranteed Fox will cancel it halfway through the season.

It's nice to see Damon Wayans again though.  The guy is 55!  Never heard of the guy playing Riggs, but he seems decent.

• Like 1

If Lethal Weapon is good, it's pretty much guaranteed Fox will cancel it halfway through the season.

It's nice to see Damon Wayans again though.  The guy is 55!  Never heard of the guy playing Riggs, but he seems decent.

honest, when we saw name o' daymon wayans attached to this, we thought it were daymon wayans jr.  am not able to recall any recent work.  a few tv shows that got cancelled after a half season maybe five-to-seven years past? 

on the positive side, he should be well rested.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Van Helsing is coming to SyFy soon too. Im looking forward to checking it out.

I saw the preview episode they had on after Sharknado 4 (don't judge me! :p ) and I felt it was pretty awful, but it also isn't the kind of thing I normally enjoy.  I hadn't been paying attention and expected a Victorian London type setting, not near-future post apocalypse.

Eh, no doubt folks are getting tired of internet lists and all, but to escape from the sad of Gene Wilder's death, here's one list on tv shows that reminded me of some good thoughts.

io9 - 10 Best out of genre episodes of genre tv

Every so often, a TV show likes to go outside its usual comfort zone and do something different... something weird. It abandons its usual format to try something else, suddenly becoming a musical, a comedy, a documentary, a Western, anything. If an episode manages to pull it off, it usually ends up becoming a classic—and here are 10 of those episodes.

[Note: Community is not on this list. That show tried new genre formats like it was trying on hats—to the point where turning into another genre wasn’t a one or two-time thing, but one of the defining characteristics of the show.]

1) "Once More With Feeling," Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Long before the minds at the CW were cooking up a Supergirl/Flash crossover with singing, Buffy the Vampire Slayer went out and proved how good a musical episode could be. It’s a miracle, really, that the show managed to pull this off—coming up with a plot that worked, writing all those original (and catchy!) songs, get through the recording and choreography process, and filming it. There’s a reason a lot of TV series have tried doing a musical episode, and it’s Buffy—although few of them have had the same success.

2) "Far Beyond the Stars," Star Trek: Deep Space 9

This isn’t the first or last time Star Trek would go to the "character questions the reality of the show they’re on" well, but it’s probably the best. The drama in "Far Beyond the Stars" wasn’t in proving that the Star Trek show was real, it was showing author Benny struggle to get his scifi story starring an African-American hero published. It’s a perfect example of the power of science fiction, and the actors are regular humans for almost the whole episode.

3) "Epitaph One," Dollhouse

Dollhouse’s first season was uneven, but its best episode by far wasn’t initially shown in the United States. "Epitaph One" was done so that there would be 13 episodes in Dollhouse’s first season for DVD and international sales. It was a futuristic, post-apocalyptic survival story instead of the usual episode about Echo and her various imprinted personalities in the "present." It was done on shoestring budget and had very little of the regular cast in it—and it was so good it became the basis for a number of plot threads in season two.

4) "200," Stargate SG-1

To celebrate the show’s 200th episode, Stargate SG-1 decided to bring back the idea that fueled the 100th—a show that was a very loose version of the Stargate program was on TV written by an alien living on Earth. In "200," the alien is asking for help to write the movie based on the show. The main characters each pitch a story, which cycles through a number of other genres. Puppets? Zombie invasion? A detective mystery? A romance? ALL OF THEM.

5) "X-Cops," X-Files

There was an episode of The X-Files which was done in the style of Cops. This is already a hilarious concept, but the show used the documentary format to deliver both jokes and scares. It was found footage, except, you know, Cops. "X-Cops!" enlivened a weak season seven, and had so many layers of reality to it that the episode was introduced with a reminder that it was actually an X-Files episode. The episode is generally fun, but starting with the actual Cops "Bad Boys" intro and disclaimer is hard to beat. But Scully’s hatred of the cameras and the repetition of their boss’ statement that "The FBI has nothing to hide" come close.

6) "A Day in the Life," Xena

Instead of dramatic, fantastic, action-adventure or the... more out there episodes that came later, "A Day in the Life" tracks everything that Xena and Gabrielle do in a day, including staving off boredom by playing 20 questions and inventing the kite. It’s a slice-of-life episode that is rightfully beloved by fans.

7) "Space," NewsRadio

While every other episode on this list is a science fiction show trying out a new genre, this episode was a sitcom deciding to see what it would look like set in space, which basically meant changing the costumes and a few props. "Space" contains my two favorite science fiction jokes of all time: First is the radio ad for Soylent Green which contains, uh, one pretty big spoiler. "For a tasty treat that’s good to eat, try Soylent Green. Soylent Green is people. Soylent Green, made from the best stuff on Earth: people!"

The second is the news report on the explosion of the Death Star:

Tragedy struck today in Sector 9 as rebel terrorists blew up the Death Star killing thousands. The Rebel Alliance, a fringe group of Anti-Empire fanatics, has claimed responsibility for the terrorist act. Fortunately Lord Vader escaped without harm. Our hearts go out to the families of the victims.

NewsRadio was doing this long before Robot Chicken started doing its Star Wars skits, and I’m still prone to summarize the A New Hope with this exact description.

8)"Revenging Angel," Farscape and "Do You See What I See?"Eureka

In this Farscape episode, while main hero John Crichton is in a coma, his mind envisions the usual Farscape antics but with a Looney Tunes-esque filter. Meanwhile, over on Eureka, the usual scientific mishap cycles the town through several forms of animation. Both keep the soul of the show intact, but change the visuals significantly.

9) "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down," Battlestar Galactica

Way back in season one of Battlestar Galactica, the show actually thought it wouldn’t be a drama every single episode. Not that the later show didn’t also have comedic moments, but BSG never again did an episode which was—almost from beginning to end—entirely a comedy. And not just any comedy, but a pun-eriffic "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down" which was also a dinner party farce. And if there is a finer use of facial expressions than the ones on Adama, Lee, and Roslin’s face during that dinner, I have not found it.

10) "Vegas," Stargate Atlantis

In the classic alternate universe form, "Vegas" follows another version of John Sheppard who is a detective investigating a series of murders in Las Vegas. Oh yes, there is a reason this episode was initially called "CSI Atlantis." The episode begins with a straightforward CSI gloss, looking nothing like the usual show. But eventually it brings in the required aliens, along with an ending that is much darker than the usual parody episode.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

"There’s a reason a lot of TV series have tried doing a musical episode, and it’s Buffy—although few of them have had the same success."

Xena did it before Buffy.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Todd and the Book of Pure Evil has my favourite musical episode.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I hope I can get through Narcos Season 2 by the end of Labor Day weekend, otherwise I might need to take a day off work.

sleep is overrated... unless you have gone a few days w/o sleep.  

is actual the biggest difference 'tween Gromnir 2016 and Gromnir 1996.  in 20s and early 30s, allnighters were something we did without enjoyment but w/o concern.  we go a couple days without sleep nowadays and we become sock puppet guy.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

New netflix original, Kulipari: An Army of Frogs. Its kind of luke Thundercats, only with frogs. Keith David plays Mamoo, leader of the Scorpion army who teams up with the Spider Queen to take down the veil put up by the Turtle King to protect the Amphibilands. Its a classic 80s/90s adventure cartoon. I love it.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Sherlock ... Molly Hooper, badass. The Christmas episode, I don't even remember how awesome.

Anyway, usually I watch a show and be done with it, but right now I'm on a third view-through of the first season of this one super series. Can't stop. No regerts. 

*wait, not the Christmas Special, that was okay, the other one where Molly dolls up for Sherlock and he pans her and everyone drinks poison champagne.

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

I caught up on Fear the Walking Dead today. I'm trying to like this show... not doing too good at it. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Ok, finished Narcos, then preceded to run to the internet to try and see how much of it is true.  Crazily, it seems like most of the important stuff is accurate!  What an insane story.

They are doing another two seasons with the Cali Cartel.  I'll watch, but it will be hard to replace the gravitas of Pablo.  That actor deserves an award.  At least it sounds like Pena and Murphy are still on board.  Because, you know, they are real people and all.

Crazy.  DEA agents are nuts. 

Battlestar Galactica. I'd previously watched a few bits and pieces of this reimagined version here and there, but never sat down to consume it in its entirety. Mrs Nonek decided to change that last night and we watched the movie length episode that began it, I have to say that I was impressed, though some scenes I found extremely off putting, notably the one where the angelic Cylon lady breaks a babies neck. Any empahy with her or the Cylons disappeared at that moment.

Gaius Baltar seems like an interesting, conflicted (possibly insane?) and twitchy little chap, far more interesting than in the original series. The new Starbuck just seems unlikeable (yet she was very likeable in Longmire) somehow, i'm not sure if the actress is trying to project that or if it's just me and the wifes personal impressions, very little empathy with her however. Adama, well nothing need be said really, brilliant. The president, never particularly cared for that actress' routine, didn't care for her in Donnie Darko either, always seems a bit out of it. The drunkard colonel with the marital problems seems like a very relatable character, broken in all the interesting places and eminently human. Apollo, a little too perfect for my tastes, the Mrs liked him however.

Going to make this our nightly watch for awhile, the four Cylon models revealed at the end on Ragnarok station were a surprise to say the least.

Edit: Well two of them.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Isn't that new MacGyver series starting this september as well?  I'm still debating whether i'd want to watch the pilot ... I mean the first look trailer was crap. The second trailer was only slightly less crap. 

Then again i'm giving Lethal weapon a chance...

Also i didn't even know there  was a Rush hour tv series . From what i've seen on youtube, maybe i should have never found out about, i would feel much better.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

September 23 is the premier date for Macgyver. Since James Wan directed the new pilot episode, I'll probably give the first ep if I remember.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I really can't understand the Cylon air of righteousness in Battlestar Galactica, they've undertaken the genocide of almost an entire species, billions of people, used so many nuclear weapons that the Twelve Colonies should not be habitable/dead worlds for millenia, and yet they still think this is okay with their god? It seems an awfully weak point in trying to get the player to empathise with them, they're utter monsters, whether mankind created them or not, that does not absolve them of responsibility for their actions.

I can't see how anyone can get over this, and I can't see why Baltar doesn't raise this point with his imaginary friend.

Edit: Making twelve life bearing worlds lifeless is also such a crime (considering their rarity in the Milky Way) and an utterly moronic waste that I fail to see what their "plan" is?

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!