Music. Must. Go on!

Gorth

Or if you want to spend a chunk of time listening... A nearly 2 hour performance from the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra of video game music.

(Aired on SVT2 (Swedish national public TV broadcaster) at 2016-01-30. The concert starts at 05:25.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PkdLMIz-Ys

Journey - I Was Born For This: 06:00

Assains Creed IV: Black Flag - Suite: 14:05

Amiga Medley: 19:30

Final Fantasy IX - Suite: 28:40

The Last Of Us - All Gone No Escape: 38:10

Super Mario Suite (17 different parts!) - 42:15

Bloodborne - Suite: 53:40

Megaman - Suite: 1:02:15

The Legend Of Zelda - Suite: 1:11:54

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - The Dragonborn Comes - 1:31:05

Final Fantasy VI - Aria The Mezzo Carattere: 1:37:55

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Empires has a few of my favorite songs (Rubicon + Distant, Arclight, Legion), but it also has a few that I don't really like much at all (Kingdom, Standing, Saviour). My favorite three albums, of course, are Advance and Follow, Praise the Fallen, and Matter + Form...and in that order. I used to have everything they've ever done uploaded to YouTube, but alas, my channel may as well not exist anymore.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Empires has a few of my favorite songs (Rubicon + Distant, Arclight, Legion), but it also has a few that I don't really like much at all (Kingdom, Standing, Saviour). My favorite three albums, of course, are Advance and Follow, Praise the Fallen, and Matter + Form...and in that order. I used to have everything they've ever done uploaded to YouTube, but alas, my channel may as well not exist anymore.

What happened to your channel? Copyright issues?

Also, I have to say I also find "Standing" to be one of the best in the record alongside "Rubicon" and "Darkangel". I do agree it's not great from start to finish but when it works it's a beast.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Yes, copyright issues. I, uh, made VNV Nation really upset when I uploaded their latest album like 36 hours before its official release (...hey, it's not my fault stuff gets shipped early - O.K., it is actually my fault I uploaded it, though - funnily enough, it was probably the last "new" thing I ever planned on uploading, because I started uploading stuff on YouTube for the sake of having higher quality versions of songs...and for sharing rarer stuff, and by that time, a lot of other people were uploading new releases in higher quality, so why bother anymore with that sort of thing?), and I nearly got banned entirely just from that, and then after I waited out the copyright warnings (a year), I finally came back...and then immediately started getting targeted again, for videos that had been up for years. I'm not even sure if it was by VNV Nation themselves at that point - thanks to YouTube's wonderful copyright system, it could have been literally anyone. Had no choice but make everything private, and I will probably never return in any capacity until things change in that regard, which will probably be never. Used to have everything by VNV Nation, Assemblage 23, the Azoic, Lights of Euphoria (...up 'til a certain point: I asked them directly what they'd be O.K. with), and a few other miscellaneous, lesser-known and/or defunct acts. 600+ videos...forever hidden.

I can't stand Standing. Lyrically speaking, it's O.K., but Ronan's voice was just sadly not made for it, in my opinion, :(.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Funny: it's generally (not always, but generally) the opposite for me. Classical, acoustic, movie and video game scores are my downers...most forms of electronic/synth, usually not.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Funny: it's generally (not always, but generally) the opposite for me. Classical, acoustic, movie and video game scores are my downers...most forms of electronic/synth, usually not.

Not even the likes of...?

I of course enjoy different moods for everything, but there's a quality in mixing harsh industrial/electronic aesthetics with a more romantic core that really gets to me, in the contrast that is generated and so on. It's in some ways richer to me than the likes of a traditionally melodramatic song the likes of what the Moody Blues would do for example. I enjoy me a good harsh Skinny Puppy or Front 242 beat as much as anyone though.

This I reckon is part of my predilection towards new romantics and sophisti-pop artists. David Sylvian, Kate Bush, Tears for Fears, The Blue Nile, Peter Gabriel, Bíceps, Pet Shop Boys and so on all share some of this quality to an extent (obviously, they are not *industrial*, but they do have that electronic/synthy element to their aesthetic that does ellicit some of that contrast as well).

Edited by algroth

played some nina simone for a friend o' ours recent.  she weren't impressed.

"that guy can't sing."

have mentioned previous in this thread how much we appreciate the talents o' nina simone

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/80512-music-must-go-on/?p=1810614

doesn't happen often, but the aforementioned criticism o' one o' favorite female vocalists rendered us speechless... and mortified.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I don't care for her voice (...or her music, if those two songs are any indication), but then again, I wasn't ever gonna say something silly like "she can't sing" in response to hearing it.

I of course enjoy different moods for everything, but there's a quality in mixing harsh industrial/electronic aesthetics with a more romantic core that really gets to me, in the contrast that is generated and so on. It's in some ways richer to me than the likes of a traditionally melodramatic song the likes of what the Moody Blues would do for example. I enjoy me a good harsh Skinny Puppy or Front 242 beat as much as anyone though.

This I reckon is part of my predilection towards new romantics and sophisti-pop artists. David Sylvian, Kate Bush, Tears for Fears, The Blue Nile, Peter Gabriel, Bíceps, Pet Shop Boys and so on all share some of this quality to an extent (obviously, they are not *industrial*, but they do have that electronic/synthy element to their aesthetic that does ellicit some of that contrast as well).

Suffice to say, you're a much more musically diverse (...and knowledgeable) person than I am. Spinning circles around me with all the different name drops and such...the only two out of those I've listened to are Skippy Puppy and Front 242...and I don't count myself as a fan of either (about the only thing I like from Front 242 being Headhunter...everything else I ever tried from them just didn't really work for me).

I'm so annoyingly picky about vocals: don't really like either of the two songs you linked because of it...even though I really liked the instrumental of the Coil song. Ack. Almost had a sort of Near Eastern vibe going...really liked it for the first few minutes. Ah, misophonia...

Edited by Bartimaeus

I don't care for her voice (...or her music, if those two songs are any indication), but then again, I wasn't ever gonna say something silly like "she can't sing" in response to hearing it.

Suffice to say, you're a much more musically diverse (...and knowledgeable) person than I am. Spinning circles around me with all the different name drops and such...the only two out of those I've listened to are Skippy Puppy and Front 242...and I don't count myself as a fan of either (about the only thing I like from Front 242 being Headhunter...everything else I ever tried from them just didn't really work for me).

I'm so annoyingly picky about vocals: don't really like either of the two songs you linked because of it...even though I really liked the instrumental of the Coil song. Ack. Almost had a sort of Near Eastern vibe going...really liked it for the first few minutes. Ah, misophonia...

Ah, you see, for me the vocals in "Going Up" is most certainly one of the main reasons to why I love it so much. Edward Ka-Spel (Legendary Pink Dots' singer)'s style however can be an acquired taste, as I for one was not too big into his nasal and nihilistic delivery when I first listened to the band, but nowadays appreciate it as another part of the whole. In both cases there is a lot to get out from the instrumental side and arrangements and for the latter track it's certainly where my main focus is as well.

I'm surprised you aren't familiar with some of the other artists I've mentioned, many being pretty huge popular acts. Mostly they are 80s synthpop and art pop, not specifically electronic, but if you like the genre they're definitely worth checking out!

Kate Bush was the closest thing to liking I got out of those three...and I didn't really like that, either. In regards to not being familiar with them, I don't really search out for a lot of music, and also I think I'm still pretty early into liking music, period. VNV Nation was the first thing I ever heard with vocals that I really liked...and that was only like five years ago (for a long time, I actually thought I just didn't like music with vocals period). Since then, it's been slowly branching out in random directions as they come along, so yeah, no surprise that I'm not really familiar with a lot of the "bigger" acts, especially with how crazy picky I am about voices. I just can't stand the vast majority of singers.

Unrelated: the last thing I ever heard off of a certain site before it went down.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Kate Bush was the closest thing to liking I got out of those three...and I didn't really like that, either. In regards to not being familiar with them, I don't really search out for a lot of music, and also I think I'm still pretty early into liking music, period. VNV Nation was the first thing I ever heard with vocals that I really liked...and that was only like five years ago (for a long time, I actually thought I just didn't like music with vocals period). Since then, it's been slowly branching out in random directions as they come along, so yeah, no surprise that I'm not really familiar with a lot of the "bigger" acts, especially with how crazy picky I am about voices. I just can't stand the vast majority of singers.

*gasp* You did not like Kate Bush?!

All tongue in cheekness aside, I think I misunderstood your earlier post: I thought vocals were an important part for you, more so than having a preference towards instrumental music. I just listed a couple of pretty vocal-led artists, so yeah, that was probably my bad. Still, all of them classics and deservedly so in my book. :D

The IO Echo track is nice, I enjoy me some shoegazy fuzz every once in a while. Reminds me somewhat of the Raveonettes.

I actually *do* prefer music with vocals...it's just extremely difficult for me to find voices that I like, but when I do, I usually love them...sometimes totally independent of what they're singing or their music itself. Emiliana Torrini is, I think, the latest one I found whose voice I just love.

"shoegazy fuzz"

I don't even know what this means. Sounds made up. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

I actually *do* prefer music with vocals...it's just extremely difficult for me to find voices that I like, but when I do, I usually love them...sometimes totally independent of what they're singing or their music itself. Emiliana Torrini is, I think, the latest one I found whose voice I just love.

"shoegazy fuzz"

I don't even know what this means. Sounds made up. :p

Shoegaze is a subgenre of alternative rock, and by fuzz I was mostly referring to the feedback cushion that is usually present in the style, often sounding like fuzz guitars/instruments (as in, the kind of distortion and so on). Just describing what I was hearing is all. :-P

• Like 1

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)