something something "until hit or critically hit"

​​

​What does this really mean?  E.g, Wizard's Double gives +40 deflection "until hit or critically hit".  Does this mean the entire +40 goes away the first time anything above a graze lands (which could often be the first thing that tries, for squishier characters)?   Poof, all gone?  Or does it decay with increasing numbers of hits to that character, and if so, in what manner?

​The description sounds like the former, but sometimes the descriptions are a little misleading.

Those effects are quite unclear, yes. Several of them actually have multiple 'charges', which is kind of suggested by the description but never very clearly explained otherwise. For Wizard's Double it really is just a single hit/crit and it's gone, but if you're walking around with +40 Deflection that does get a lot less. Relative to Deflection attacks at least, any hit/crit counts. So it depends a bit on the situation, but especially if you have reasonable Deflection to begin with like your standard sword&board fighter, the effect can last very long. 

However, Iron Skin has 10 charges, so you get the full bonus until you get hit/critted for the tenth time. Unfortunately there's no counter to tell you how many there are left. Mirrored Image has 5 charges, but the effect also decreases by 5 Deflection (starting from 30) every time you get hit/critted.

Those are the main ones, I think. Let me know if you want details on any other ones though (if any).

• Like 2

​​

​ E.g, Wizard's Double gives +40 deflection "until hit or critically hit". Does this mean the entire +40 goes away the first time anything above a graze lands (which could often be the first thing that tries, for squishier characters)? Poof, all gone?

Yes

BUT keep in mind that +40 deflection is pretty huge, actually if you boost wiz defences a bit with +40 you can reach a point in wich most enemies actually can't hit or crit you anymore ( and the duration is the whole Battle). It is actually one of most underrated and powerful potions imho. But they have a weakness too: you can get hit or crit also by attacks targeting reflex, fortitude or will, so for example this is useless vs dragons, since the massive accuracy of the fear aura will cancel them in seconds.

The lvl 2 wiz spell ( illusory images?) instead creates 5 "shadows" of yourself and give you +25 deflecion. In that case every time you get one hit or crit you lose 1 Image AND 5 deflection, so the spell is depleted after 5 hits.

The " iron skin spell" is depleted after 8 or 10 attacks if i Remember correcly.

So the tooltips are not so exact sometimes...

Edit: 5 min too slow

Edited by Dr <3
  • Like 1

Cool, chanks, Loren Tyr and Dr <3.  That's exactly the info I was after.

Agreed +40 is a lot of deflection, although my wizard's base deflection is quite low, so even with +40 he's still 10 or 15 short of my Paladin.  I might favor the Mirrored Image form that's a bit less deflection, and expires on a timer, but doesn't go completely away after a hit.

Yeah, for a Wizard the base deflection is on the low-ish side, so the Wizard Double is more vulnerable unless you're really going for the shield-mage type. But even so, it's still a reasonable protection against a couple of hits, a useful safeguard for a back row wizard to protect against surprise attacks and such. It's just a level 1 spell, after all. I tend to use it more in potion form on Fighters and such. Level 3 Fighter with Shield and Shield Style plus one of those potions, puts Deflection around 100. That early in the game, quite a few enemies can't do any better than graze you anymore (on Hard anyway, not sure about PotD). Those Forest Lurkers in Black Meadow for one, they're real easy after that. 

The level 2 Mirrored Image spell/potion starts out at +30 by the way, for some reason the description says 25 but that's incorrect.

Wizard's Arcane Veil + Wizard's Double is 115 bonus deflection just saying, when your deflection is 85 points higher than enemy accuracy you simply don't get hit by deflection targeting attacks anymore, I was at 210+ deflection at level 16 on a 3 resolve wizard.

I usually find that Llengrath's Displaced image plus a buckler is more than enough protection for my wizard, pop arcane veil if **** really hits the fan.  Never found much use for Wizard's Double or Mirrored image, even on Path of the Damned + high level scaling.  My perspective is from one that never solos though.

Edited by Climhazzard
  • Like 1

In solo " wizard double" potion do wonders with paladins, fighters and chanters. And is very cheap.

Llengrat instead is good for everyone, +25 to deflecion and reflex for a long time is really a nice buff, expecially vs boss.

This potion is also one of the reason for wich lately i build all my solo char with High con & str: reflex are easy to boost by a huge amount ( shield bonus + llengrath can buy you up to +50 reflex, more or less). Instead fortitude is much more difficult to pump ( activate frenzy via sanguine plate is one of them), and at the same time fortitude is the defence that prevent more your death ( get paralyze/ petryfied/ weakened/ blinded / permastunned while soloing can be a death sentence ).

Will on the other side is quite useless in solo: all the charm/dominate effects are more or less useless against you, fear aura of the dragons hit you no matter what ( and there is a scroll or steadfast for this problem). The only spell that is actually Dangerous is devotions for the faithful by enemy priests, but pump will just to protect against it is not resource-wise

Edited by Dr <3