3.04? Update on our next patch

Hey (you bunch of glorious) gamers,

I've been looking into your posts (hopefully not missing anything) and our list grew a few. I'll try to get an update on the 'op' later this week if we can get some fixes in and verified. Keep the bugs coming.

I got your backs

-Sking

• Like 9

Sking,

thank you and the team for this.

This is the kind of dedication and community orientation that I felt was missing from the 3.03 release. Thanks a lot for this :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Blast producing AoE Envenomed Strikes and Runner's Wounding Shots. It seems a little counter-intuitive that Carnage (where you could directly apply poison to a weapon and have it make contact with multiple foes) doesn't allow for envenomed strikes but Blast (where whatever projectile you're using explodes making it unlikely the poison would carry over distance in the the air, or something like that) does. The internal consistency just seems a little off, really either both or neither should be working in this case.

Agreed. I think the Blast + modified attacks (like Envenomed Strike, but also weapon procs) area actually a manifestation of the same issue as Consecrated Ground + Knockdown, Black Path + Envenomed Strike, etc., so it would be good to fix them all in one go if possible (though knowing the internals, I recognise that that might be quite difficult in this instance).

In a similar vein though: Kalakoth's Minor Blights + Blast. It may not necessarily be a bug as such, but Blast AOEs happening on every hit in the Blight AOE does seem a bit much. Might be better to get the Blast hit on just the main Blight hit. 

• Like 1

I don't know, maybe this bug already have been corresponding by someone, but i just want repeat my post:
From stealth at battle start and from shadowing beyond.
1. Simple auto attack - Backstab triggers for two hits if Dual Wield (Full attack) and two hits for 2Handed. Works identically from stealth and Shadowing Beyond
2. Ability (Crippling strike or something else) - for Dual Wield, triggers Backstab only on SECOND hit (for stealth and shadowing) and for 2Handed weapon triggers only one Backstab hit from stealth, and from Shadowing...no BS at all, just ability.

Edited by Phenomenum

I don't know, maybe this bug already have been corresponding by someone, but i just want repeat my post:

From stealth at battle start and from shadowing beyond.

1. Simple auto attack - Backstab triggers for two hits if Dual Wield (Full attack) and two hits for 2Handed. Works identically from stealth and Shadowing Beyond

2. Ability (Crippling strike or something else) - for Dual Wield, triggers Backstab only on SECOND hit (for stealth and shadowing) and for 2Handed weapon triggers only one Backstab hit from stealth, and from Shadowing...no BS at all, just ability.

Yeah, I have those in my list as well. The first one is not a bug, I think. It seems well-balanced anyway, it's not like BS is overpowered with it, so I hope they keep that in. The others obviously are, I certainly hope they fix at least the Invisibility + Strike = no BS one, that's the most serious one I think. It's also reasonably easy to fix, though.

Edited by Loren Tyr

I just figured ot that the raw damage part of wounding shot (Ranger) dont scale with int or even with crits. The Duration is indeed modified but the dmg is always the dmg of the main shot  (after dr, without lash) x might.

That's by design though, for DoTs the damage is never (directly) affected by crits/grazes, otherwise it would the crit/graze would effectively doubly affect it. There are actually two types of DoT:

- ApplyOverTime DoT, like Wounding Shot: the damage is determined by the damage value of the primary attack (before or after DR, depending on the effect); a crit boosts the damage of the DoT indirectly, by increasing the damage of the primary attack. Since the damage is fixed by the primary attack value, duration only changes the time it takes to fully deal it (though for non-raw ApplyOverTime DoTs longer duration actually means effectively more DR reduction)

- ApplyOnTock DoT, like Necrotic Lance: the damage is set per tick; a crit doesn't boost the damage per tick but does increase the duration, and therefore the total damage dealt. 

This isn't a bug, but I remember the end boss music was going to be changed so it's the same music that plays for wizard/dragon fights in the expansion, but that never happened. Currently it's just one of the normal combat themes, which is a bit underwhelming, changing it to the expansion's boss theme would make it feel more climactic.

• Like 1

Hoping the OP is still an as of yet incomplete list of problems that will be fixed.  Didn't see anything about Torment's Reach on there, and I'm hoping to do a monk playthrough at some point with it not being op.

Also, it looks like wall of draining is being looked at, but there was no mention of the main issue with it.  Which is that you can't walk out of it's effect once you've been hit by it.  If many characters get hit by it then it drains them nonstop until it goes away, no matter how far out of it they walk.  Not only does this mean you can no longer buff these characters at all, it also usually tends to completely kill FPS.  It is nice they may fix the fact that this can lead to 300 second duration arcane veils on enemy wizards though....

Hoping the OP is still an as of yet incomplete list of problems that will be fixed.  Didn't see anything about Torment's Reach on there, and I'm hoping to do a monk playthrough at some point with it not being op.

Also, it looks like wall of draining is being looked at, but there was no mention of the main issue with it.  Which is that you can't walk out of it's effect once you've been hit by it.  If many characters get hit by it then it drains them nonstop until it goes away, no matter how far out of it they walk.  Not only does this mean you can no longer buff these characters at all, it also usually tends to completely kill FPS.  It is nice they may fix the fact that this can lead to 300 second duration arcane veils on enemy wizards though....

To my knowledge the issue with Torments Reach is just that is has a goofy int scale ratio? Am I missing something?

- Sking

To my knowledge the issue with Torments Reach is just that is has a goofy int scale ratio? Am I missing something?

- Sking

Actually, it seems to be triggering recursively, with the Torment's Reach cone AOE effect being applied to the victims in the original cone AOE. I just tried it again with a newly minted 10 INT hireling monk, who hit a column of about 5 meters (there wasn't any target beyond that). Moreover, some targets were also hit multiple times. In a way it is similar to eg. the Consecrated Ground + Knockdown / Black Path + Envenomed Strike. A StatusEffect (TR cone, Knockdown, Envenomed Strike) is active to modify an initial attack, but is still active when subsequent (TR, BP) or concurrent AOE (CG) hits are processed so those get modified as well. Carnage actually has its own implementation and an explicit toggle to ensure it doesn't trigger recursively. 

- Sking

Actually, it seems to be triggering recursively, with the Torment's Reach cone AOE effect being applied to the victims in the original cone AOE. I just tried it again with a newly minted 10 INT hireling monk, who hit a column of about 5 meters (there wasn't any target beyond that). Moreover, some targets were also hit multiple times. In a way it is similar to eg. the Consecrated Ground + Knockdown / Black Path + Envenomed Strike. A StatusEffect (TR cone, Knockdown, Envenomed Strike) is active to modify an initial attack, but is still active when subsequent (TR, BP) or concurrent AOE (CG) hits are processed so those get modified as well. Carnage actually has its own implementation and an explicit toggle to ensure it doesn't trigger recursively.

Sorry for barging in but this footage I originally recorded for the audio-related issue involving Torment's Reach's sound FX causing the overall sound to cut out might be helpful with this particular issue as well(?):

- Sking

That is incorrect...

Each time it hits an enemy it retriggers from that enemy.  If enemies are lined up it starts a chain reaction that will obliterate entire hordes of enemies.  Many enemies will get hit multiple times.  I only run 10 intelligence on my monk, but if enemies are lined up I purposely avoid using it as it's way to strong.

It's far stronger than it was when the game was released (It worked like it should then).  It hardly seems to me like it's working as intended.  I wouldn't mind if it had a better base range or intelligence modifier.. .   But hitting every enemy in the room if they're lined up right, multiple times, seems a bit broken.

Edit:  The video posted above is a good enough example.  It clearly shows the enemies in the back being hit multiple times when they should only get hit once per animation even with high intelligence (it would normally never reach that far even with super high intelligence though).  By endgame Torment's reach can hit upwards of 80+ dmg a hit even on pure fist builds (and it hits twice if you're dual wielding), the enemies in the back of that pack would easily get hit for 200 or 300 damage (maybe not the big one as they have high DR) per use if apprentice sneak attack were able to be triggered and even more with higher intelligence since all the cones getting triggered would have longer range and retrigger off of more enemies (an exponential effect from intelligence). 

Edited by Climhazzard

As reported by Asdu (http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83388-class-build-the-leech-barbarian-time-bandit-tank/?p=1839742), there is also an issue with Spelltongue often given permanent duration bonuses to abilities that carry over to later activations. I have traced the bug, it has a very simple fix; details can be found here http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/88918-303-spelltongue-permanent-duration-bonus/?p=1840003

Edit: just noticed Wall of Draining listed in the OP list, this is the same issue.

Edited by Loren Tyr
  • Like 2

I have looked into the issue of Charmed/Dominated characters turning hostile again too easily a bit as well. I think it should be relatively easy to fix so they behave more naturally, ending the Charmed/Dominated effect only if they can't see any enemies anymore (and doing so one by one, in multi-charm situations) rather than just when they're not targetting anyone at the moment. See details here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/88493-charm-confuse-and-dominate-cancelled-prematurely-303/?p=1840154

• Like 2

Loren Tyr for president! (Obsidian are hiring, btw ... just saying ;) )

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus