3.04? Update on our next patch

Hi,

I tried to take screenshots of bugs I came along. None of them is really "game-breaking", so just in case you'd want to know and look into some of them.

"Binding Rope" belt from Caed Nua adventures has an effect called "Binding" which causes an attacker to be Stuck for a while, but in the combat log, it shows as *EffectError*. At least for me. I took the screenshot in a different language, so sorry about that, but rewrote the important part in English.

https://s11.postimg.io/cb8am27xf/Pillars_Of_Eternity_2016_08_01_21_05_35_24.jpg

"Going Between" (the new cipher's ability) has a graphical effect which doesn't wear off after the end of the combat (in contrary to the actual, damage-reducing effect). Or at least it didn't wear off on the two occasions I tried it so far.

https://s11.postimg.io/djw67ozvl/Going_Between.png

In the intro, you have visions about people burned at stake by the Inquisition, but the last one doesn't disappear (there is a puff of "smoke", but the vision stays).

https://s11.postimg.org/qyduhgvxd/Vision.png

Double-clicking on stats shows you which things make the final number, but I noticed my Edér's constitution is missing a point somewhere. I tried to look for a talent or an item, but didn't really find where did the additional Con point appear from.

https://s11.postimg.io/l64jiu7c1/1_con_missing.png

Then one thing which is probably more of a suggestion: Mind Wave cipher's ability has a conical Area of Effect which in reality begins at enemy position, but the in-game tooltip shows it as if it would begin at yours.

http://s11.postimg.org/vf1m2ekrn/Mind_Wave.png

But I guess it's because it's (probably?) the only ability which behaves this way.

Well, the latter would probably more likely fall in the "typo" category. Do I understand it right (as stated in the topic for reporting typos) that you no longer fix those? That'd be a shame, because there's still a few occasion when you are referred to as "lord" without corresponding "lady" (or "he" without "she") in FemaleText; "Okrun" being called "Odrun" in game\items, a batch of incorrect special characters, Maelstorm scroll promising corrosion damage when there is none, some grimoires which use Aloth's grimoire description (even though they never really belonged to him) or this occasion in which people utter lines from a completely different dialogue.  ;)

In any case, thank you for being that kind to read through and fix plenty of bugs even months after WM2's release. The Psychic Backlash bug has been quite bothersome during my last playthrough.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Rilifaen

Could you sneak in any additional fixes besides those listed in the OP? :)

We are still considering other fixes. If anything huge comes up from now through the beta, up to release, we will definitely address it.

- Sking

• Like 2

Here's hoping this suggestion isn't too late.  I would really like to see Party AI involving spell/ability usage fixed.  Many spells and abilities are unuseable to the party AI.  Example, PC Chanters with Summoning AI enabled will not use any summon Invocations ever.  From what I've read, multiple classes have these AI bugs and have been around a long time (2.0 and older, probably from when AI was added).  Considering enemies and occaisionally non PC characters can use the spells and abilities correctly, one would hope this wouldn't be too difficult a fix or add?  It would definitely increase playability greatly.

Edited by Mechanos
  • Like 2

There still seems to be a bug with Galawain's Maw (I know the original bug of combat not ending did get fixed). Sul will often get into fights without the play character even having to enter the Maw proper (just re-entering the Maw a few times), getting herself killed. Paradoxically, this only allows for the ending of the New King and the Old Queen where she is named champion after you kill the bear.

I made a bug report in technical issues, but there isn't really anything more to say. Maybe just changing the area where the other lions patrol would fix this.

Edited by Jojobobo

[bug] Cipher's "Pain Link" causes infinite damage

In the quest "Whispers in the Dark" of WM2, during the final battle with the Radiant Spore and its families, I came cross this pleasant bug.

Basically, I just put "Pain Link" on my melee characters, and then suddenly those surrounding foes died. It happened twice. Each time it killed 4 spores, and the second time even included the Radiant Spore! And in the combat logs, it said that Grieving Mother's "Pain Link" had caused "Infinity" damage to the 4 enemies respectively.

Unfortunately I lost my screenshot (I made the screenshot but I didn't know it's in the clipboard and I need to paste it in Windows 7).

Anyway, it seems to be a lovely bug (never happended before with other weaker enimies) and I just had my easiest boss battle

• Like 1

In the quest "Whispers in the Dark" of WM2, during the final battle with the Radiant Spore and its families, I came cross this pleasant bug.

Basically, I just put "Pain Link" on my melee characters, and then suddenly those surrounding foes died. It happened twice. Each time it killed 4 spores, and the second time even included the Radiant Spore! And in the combat logs, it said that Grieving Mother's "Pain Link" had caused "Infinity" damage to the 4 enemies respectively.

Unfortunately I lost my screenshot (I made the screenshot but I didn't know it's in the clipboard and I need to paste it in Windows 7).

Anyway, it seems to be a lovely bug (never happended before with other weaker enimies) and I just had my easiest boss battle

Hey Ancientfire,

Can you link me your save file from before the fight?

- Sking

• Like 2

Hey Ancientfire,

- Sking

My pre-battle save is already overwritten. But I have a slightly earlier save,  it just requires the crystal to get inside the gate first. But I guess it can be done by console commands.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/79vyq4u6hlm7se2/57c225307ce44ba18b1bb3f0560cfd2d%2024788281%20LuminescentCaves.savegame?dl=0

Hey Sking,

could you check whether 3.04 gets rid of the sound it makes when you return to the main menu from a game?

I believe it's the sound paladin auras make when you activate / deactivate them; it's been there on the menu since TW2 dropped and it's rather annoying. :\

Also, any chance of addressing the current impossibility to get Wael's Boon, and the binding rope, lavender wreath and retaliation items suppressing each other?

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hello sking,

So.... May I suggest that shields with bashing count as dual wielding ;) ? I don't really get their purpose aside from full-attack-abilities

I also feel the need to express my thankfulness for being this close to the community :)

Edited by Ben No.3
  • Like 2

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Hey Ancientfire,

- Sking

My pre-battle save is already overwritten. But I have a slightly earlier save,  it just requires the crystal to get inside the gate first. But I guess it can be done by console commands.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/79vyq4u6hlm7se2/57c225307ce44ba18b1bb3f0560cfd2d%2024788281%20LuminescentCaves.savegame?dl=0

I haven't been able to reproduce this one.. :(. If you can lay down some better steps for me I can take another look.

- Sking

Hi Sking,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I reproduced this bug twice. Here I attached my pre-fight save and two screenshots when the bug happened. The first pic shows the first time it was reproduced and in the combat log there was a "NameError" bug but it still told you Grieving Mother had killed three enemies. The second pic shows the second time it was reproduced and it displays that Grieving Mother has caused infinite damage, also there is a huge number on the dead enemy.

To reproduce it, it seems to be followed by this procedure: first put "Pain Link" on a character, then let the distant radiant spores hit him/her by their stones. Once it happens, the surrounding foes will die.

Hope it helps. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eqy8gjcwg31uazf/AADjsRZ3_IOXXsVIYgSVJk4ga?dl=0

Edited by Ancientfire

Here's hoping this suggestion isn't too late.  I would really like to see Party AI involving spell/ability usage fixed.  Many spells and abilities are unuseable to the party AI.  Example, PC Chanters with Summoning AI enabled will not use any summon Invocations ever.  From what I've read, multiple classes have these AI bugs and have been around a long time (2.0 and older, probably from when AI was added).  Considering enemies and occaisionally non PC characters can use the spells and abilities correctly, one would hope this wouldn't be too difficult a fix or add?  It would definitely increase playability greatly.

I have an update regarding this post, and I've also updated the thread in links to (once my posts get approved).  I found a workaround that fixes PC Chanter AI Summoning.  Unequip your pet slot, and the AI will start summoning correctly.  I assume this means both are reading from the same variable, and changing either to use a different variable would fix things?  Patch worthy?  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Hi Sking,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I just reproduced this bug twice. Here I attached my pre-fight save and two screenshots when the bug happened. The first pic shows the first time it was reproduced but it has a "NameError" bug and just told you Grieving Mother has killed three enemies. The second pic shows the second time it was reproduced and it displays that Grieving Mother has caused infinite damage, also there is a huge number on the dead enemy.

To reproduce it, it seems to be followed by this procedure: first put "Pain Link" on a character, then let the distant radiant spores hit him/her by their stones. Once it happens, the surrounding foes will die.

Hope it helps. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eqy8gjcwg31uazf/AADjsRZ3_IOXXsVIYgSVJk4ga?dl=0

Hmm, it's negative infinity actually, which is quite telling. Hence also that particular large (negative) floaty number, that's actually 2147483648 = -2^31, which is the lowest value a signed integer (assuming 32 bit representation) can take and usually used to represent -infinity. This also gestures in the direction of an answer, because I do know of at least one way in which -infinity damage numbers can pop up: hitting stuff with a damage type they're immune to. Immunity is represented as +infinity DR, so the damage after DR becomes negative infinity, the "adjust for DT/DR" function doesn't truncate negative values to zero (there was another bug where this came up, don't recall which one; either way, I'd suggest implementing that trunctation). Many functions that process damage down the line do check for negative damage, but not all (clearly). 

Obviously, not sure whether that's what happened here, but it certainly is a good candidate. Do you remember whether any of your characters had immunity to the Spore's damage type (Fighter with (active) Triggered Immunity being the most likely possibility, I suppose)?

Edited by Loren Tyr

Hi Loren Tyr,

Thanks for the analysis. My fighter is lv14, so has not learned Triggered Immunity yet. But the Paladin Pallegina has equipped the soulbound armor which grants her the Triggered Immunity ability. Other than that, none of my party member is immune to any damage type. The fighter is immune to frightened and terrified though due to Fearless talent.

I guess Triggered Immunity is the problem if both 2 times of reproducing are due to enemies hitting on Pallegina.

Yeah, it's definitely Triggered Immunity. Knowing the likely cause, I could easily reproduce it using your save game. You can see it in this screenshot

post-163298-0-85668300-1474572830_thumb.jpg

Triggered Immunity gets activated, I get a couple of hits to the Immune type in, and there's your -Infinity damage. There's actually a bit of a delay because Pain Link is on a three-second cycle, the damage is only actually dealt at the end of each cycle. 

Anyway, the fix should be very easy. Just a matter of making sure that in the CharacterStats.AdjustDamageByDTDR_Helper() function, the reduced damage gets truncated to 0 if it is negative. I also remember now where this came up before, it was the bug that caused -Infinity to show in the Total Damage Dealt (or Received) on the character screen.

I also checked why -Infinity damage is killing enemies, this is because the Health.ApplyDamageDirectly() function Pain Link ends up calling flips negative damage to positive (and logs an error, which duly shows up in my output_log.txt). Would probably be best to truncate negative damage to zero there as well, I'd say.

• Like 2

Yeah, it's definitely Triggered Immunity. Knowing the likely cause, I could easily reproduce it using your save game. You can see it in this screenshot

Triggered Immunity gets activated, I get a couple of hits to the Immune type in, and there's your -Infinity damage. There's actually a bit of a delay because Pain Link is on a three-second cycle, the damage is only actually dealt at the end of each cycle. 

Anyway, the fix should be very easy. Just a matter of making sure that in the CharacterStats.AdjustDamageByDTDR_Helper() function, the reduced damage gets truncated to 0 if it is negative. I also remember now where this came up before, it was the bug that caused -Infinity to show in the Total Damage Dealt (or Received) on the character screen.

I also checked why -Infinity damage is killing enemies, this is because the Health.ApplyDamageDirectly() function Pain Link ends up calling flips negative damage to positive (and logs an error, which duly shows up in my output_log.txt). Would probably be best to truncate negative damage to zero there as well, I'd say.

Wow, that's very helpful for the devs. I guess you saved a lot of time for them. Thanks!

Edited by Ancientfire

Hmm, I've been digging around a bit more to figure out exactly what's going on, because I couldn't for the life of me figure out how the -Infinity damage when hitting an immune enemy translated into 0 damage actually being dealt; rather than -Infinity damage, setting Endurance to +Infinity. I have since concluded that the latter is precisely what's happening: -Infinity damage is dealt, Endurance and Health are both set to +Infinity; then in the next Health.Update() (ie. pretty much immediately) the current Endurance and Health are checked against the maximum Endurance and Health, are obviously found to be higher, and current Endurance and Health are set to the maximum. Effectively, being hit while immune completely heals the character.

I have verified this using AncientFire's save: walked Pallegina to the Spores and start combat, stand there doing nothing and getting hit. Fairly quickly she gets hit by a big enough stone to activate Triggered Immunity: Crushing, then the next time she gets hit by Crushing damage it registers as 0.0 in the combat log and her Endurance and Health are completely reset. This is again the -Infinity adjusted damage return value getting dodgy.

The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is why this doesn't happen with enemies. That is, I tried to reproduce it on some Blights, but there hitting with an immune damage type doesn't do anything, as it's supposed to (and same for a Blight summoned by Hiravias, by the way). Doesn't seem to be an armour-based immunity vs Triggered Immunity difference, but it's unclear what is going on there.

Anyway, whatever the reason, truncating the output from CharacterStats.AdjustDamageByDTDR_Helper() from negative to zero should resolve all these issues.

EDIT: it does turn out that it differs between armour and Triggered Immunity (it does happen for both Fighter Triggered Immunity and Ryona's Breastplate, though). If I put Pallegina in Wind Blight Armour she is immune to Crushing damage but neither the above bug nor the Pain Link bug happen. Somehow in that case, the damage does get truncated to 0 for the armour-based immunity. Can't figure out where, though.

Edited by Loren Tyr
  • Like 2

For sake of completeness I also looked at the *NameError* bug with Pain Link: if it groups multiple hits into a single collapsed list, at the top it says "*NameError*: 8 Hit" (or however many where hit), though the entries when you expand the list do correctly say (Pain Link). 

This message originates from ApplyAffectHelper() which processes the ReapplyDamageToNearbyEnemies ModifiedStat, where the PostDamageMessage() function gets called. Normally this gets called by the StatusEffect.WhenTakesDamage() function and gets passed an AttackBase object as its third parameter, but in this bit of code the third parameter is null. PostDamageMessages() reads the (Pain Link) directly from the StatusEffect object it's called on, but the BatchedMessage handling down the line reads the group name from a DamageInfo object that gets passed to it. PostDamageMessages() directly passes the AttackBase it gets into the new DamageInfo object that gets passed to AddBatchedMessage(), but in this case that's just null. Which means that DamageInfo.Attack is null, and so is DamageInfo.Attack.Owner; as is DamageInfo.Attack.Ability so it wouldn't know it's supposed to say Pain Link, but technically the *NameError* actually comes from ProcessBatched() trying to get the name of the DamageInfo.Attack.Owner object (hence "Tried to get name of null or destroyed GameObject." in the output_log.txt file).

Anyway, hardly the biggest of bugs, but hopefully still worth the time to fix it (probably using the other DamageInfo constructor when attack is null in PostDamageMessages() would be easiest, though building an ad hoc AttackBase there should work as well). 

• Like 3

Hope these get fixed; it would be a shame if all the digging Loren Tyr's done went to waste!

Thanks, Loren Tyr!

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Well, I finally figured it out: Immunity on armour (like Blights) does work properly, because of old timey Damage Reduction (let's call it OTDR). What is now DR was originally called DT, and OTDR was called DR. The DT + OTDR was dropped ages ago for just having DR as it is now, but the code's still there with OTDR just set to 0 on all armour. But when armour gives a damage immunity, the CalcOTDR() function suddenly starts returning +Infinity, and when OTDR > 100 the "damage dealt" amount gets set to zero (it's a percentage, so 100% or more OTDR means no damage would be dealt). The DR is applied just before that, setting "damage dealt" to -Infinity in case of Immunity, which thus gets overridden by the entirely defunct OTDR mechanism. But this doesn't happen for Triggered Immunity since it isn't attached to armour, and thus leaves the OTDR at 0.

Which is actually quite immaterial because the solution still is just to make the AdjustDamageByDTDR_Helper() function never return negative values, but you know... curiosity for its own sake and all that :)

Quite likely the devs actually already did this for 3.04 anyway, to fix the "-Infinity on the character screen damage totals" bug that came up before.

• Like 4

There is a text encounter in the Endless Paths of Od Nua level 11, where the party slips through a wall of vines... The problem is not just that they cannot slip back through it [which isn't bad by itself], but that once through it, they can be utterly outmatched what lies past it, and outmatched by what lies in wait along the alternative (and ONLY) path back to the surface.  This can mean no escape ~ever; especially if they have used up all camping equipment, and cannot rest.

Got a freeze/crash that caused me to hard reboot during the Bleak Oath inside the mill. I think I essentially selected the last dialogue option every time for anyway wanting to reproduce it. Further details here (though what I've put in this post is the general gist).

Edited by Jojobobo