3.04? Update on our next patch

I'm essentially doing that already, though ;). Anyway, I just enjoy a good puzzle now and then.

On the Iconic Projection bypassing DR listed in the OP by the way, that looks to be primarily a GUI issue. The ApplyDamageDirectly function IP ends up using does do DR reduction, though only at 25% DR (would be quite involved to change that to 100% for Iconic Projection specifically, as far as I can see). The floating damage number on screen correctly reflects the reduced number, it's the tool tip in the combat log that's wrong; down the line it uses the StatusEffectParams.GetString function, which cannot incorporate DR reduction.

• Like 1

I have looked into the issue of Charmed/Dominated characters turning hostile again too easily a bit as well. I think it should be relatively easy to fix so they behave more naturally, ending the Charmed/Dominated effect only if they can't see any enemies anymore (and doing so one by one, in multi-charm situations) rather than just when they're not targetting anyone at the moment. See details here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/88493-charm-confuse-and-dominate-cancelled-prematurely-303/?p=1840154

Well done on this front, it's a bug I found particularly vexing.

I was considering a Rogue build at one point who used Ring of Changing Heart and Shadowing Beyond to dominate people from the shadows, however I realised with the bug still in effect (and a Sking mentioning a fix wasn't planned in the thread) that such a build really wouldn't work in practice.

Hopefully this will also get lumped into the fix pile making any such charm/dominate build much better. Even on non-dedicated builds it's still annoying in general when abusing Arret Munacra early, having my 21 sec durations on a crit lasting 2-3 seconds in reality. It can make or break certain encounters when you need that distraction to last its full duration going solo.

The noise of the mob at Caed Nua persists after they've left, and even after the Battle of Yenwood Field is finished.

Yeah, that's kind of annoying, though it might be too minor to make it to 3.04 :\

EDIT: Stuff as quick as this, for which a fix has been provided, should really make it to the patch regardless. Not to mention the issue I linked in particular (Spelltongue providing infinite duration for buffs) is not exactly minor either.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The noise of the mob at Caed Nua persists after they've left, and even after the Battle of Yenwood Field is finished.

Yeah, that's kind of annoying, though it might be too minor to make it to 3.04 :\

True, I still thought I'd mention it however, in case it is a really trivial fix. The Lord Sidroc one is probably a larger annoyance to most people, personally I didn't mind that I didn't get the money as my character uses any excuse to hang people.

Edited by Jojobobo

I thought I'd just add in another minor annoying bug I found, I won't bother making a bug report as it such a small thing. When a Paladin uses Sacred Immolation, they use the voice lines for if they'd been targeted by friendly fire, even on solo play. While it's not impairing gameplay, it does tend to take you out of the game a little bit, and with it being an ability that more or less any Paladin will take it would be nice to not have to hear it.

^ I reported that with Pallegina a while ago so it's in their tracker. Agree it's annoying; hope they fix it but I doubt that.

The sound it makes when you quit the game and go to the main menu (which I believe is from a Paladin's aura) is also very annoying.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

As an update on the Charm/Dominate ending prematurely and sometimes causing encounters to end prematurely, on this basis I just had to do a hard reboot of the my laptop as it caused it to freeze when a dominate effect ended and me and it also ended the encounter (added it to the appropriate thread: here).

On that basis I think this definitely needs some more attention paying to it. It's the first time since I got my mac's faulty hard drive cable replaced that I've needed to do a hard reboot (it's been running smoothly for 6 months or so) and the first time Pillars has ever made me hard reboot period.

Edited by Jojobobo

Dear devs,

Since apparently "request time" is not up, do you mind to add a +1 shapeshift use per encounter for High lvl druids ( let's say >10 )?

That will be much appreciated.

I think this will make the shapeshift druid build a bit more reliable and less a "glass cannon" ( if you get proned/stunned ecc after the shapeshift you have basically wasted it, and you have only 1). Other things about shapeshift are pretty balanced, i like the big empowerment in dps at the expenses of the defences.

• Like 3

Again in terms of an easy fix, when you solve Berolt's dilemma his name reads as "*null*" on the resolution text. I'd imagine this wouldn't be a problem to resolve, even if it is again very minor.

Spot on! I just got this AND the infamous quest scroll that never disappears in the same minute! :)

http://i.imgur.com/Oxa5WRg.jpg

• Like 1

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

Just an animation issue. In the first ruins at the beginning of the game, my party killed a xaurip and equipped his medium heater shield on my hero; however, the animation doesn't show up in game. I tried equipping the shield on other heroes and it happened too.

Should it still be pending a solution, I have poked around the "Ranger, Power Burns removes the natural DR penetration provided by guns" issue listed in the OP a bit. It turns out that Powder Burns actually removes all weapon enchantment effects that are implemented as OnLaunch StatusEffects (the inherent DR reduction and -25% crit damage, Fine (etc.), Slaying X, etc.). The only enchantments I've found so far that do still work are the Lashes, since those are implemented differently. Stuff like Wounding Shot also doesn't work with it.

Presumably this is all tied to these being OneHitUse StatusEffects: the Burn attack actually happens before the original gun attack it's attached to is processed further, so those OneHitUse effects will be cleaned up (at the latest) at the end of that Burn attack and therefore fail to apply to the original gun attack. The only thing I haven't been able to figure is why those OneHitUse effects don't apply to the Burn attack either. 

In any case, probably the easiest solution would be to attach the Powder Burns trigger to an OnPostDamageDealt event handler (like Blast), rather than the OnAttackHitFrame event handler it's attached to now. This would mean that, like Blast, all those OneHitUse effects would be applied to the Burn as well (including eg. the Hobbling part of Wounding Shot, though not the Wounding), though that could likely be fixed by having the Powder Burns triggered effect call the OneHitUs cleanup function first, before launching the Burn attack.

• Like 1

There are some audio issues since release, never fixed:

1 - i noticed sometimes the ambient effects don't trigger at all (completely missing, u can hear only main party footsteps) and doing again a transition (interior\exterior)  seems to trigger them properly.

2 -Some interior music doesn't trigger properly; for example, if i go inside the lighthouse from Ondra's Gift, the Ondra's Gift theme will continue playing instead of the correct one (should be the "sanitarium.ogg" if i remember well).

When inside, the only way to trigger the proper music is by reloading a savegame (located inside the lighthouse).

-Same issue with the sanitarium itself: If you go inside, the brackenbury music will continue playing, and even if you  switch floor, the music don't trigger. 

Useful information about this issue is that in both cases, a quest was active. Also, the ogg file is the same, so maybe it is something related to it.

Both Sanitarium and lighthouse are scary places with a strong mood, so i think it is very important that the correct theme is triggered, otherwise the atmosphere is broken (not so good going into a haunted place with the dreamy city music instead of the correct, scary one.)

3-Both Cad Nua and Dyrford village themes trigger on every interior\exterior transition, and this can be annoying

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 1

Hey guys/gals,

We have a few more confirmed fixes to add to our list. I'll post an update Friday.

- Sking

Hi Sking,

Do you have a bug in your tracker about +accuracy bonuses from Survival not applying to Chanters' Chants?

I think they only apply to melee and ranged attacks anyway, and spells flagged as a ranged weapon attack. Them not working with Chanter chants is likely intentional.

Hey guys/gals,

We have a few more confirmed fixes to add to our list. I'll post an update Friday.

- Sking

Delaying the update until Monday. We got a few more fixes in that I can't verify until Monday.

- SKing

• Like 1

Hey guys/gals,

- Sking

Hi Sking,

Do you have a bug in your tracker about +accuracy bonuses from Survival not applying to Chanters' Chants?

I think they only apply to melee and ranged attacks anyway, and spells flagged as a ranged weapon attack. Them not working with Chanter chants is likely intentional.

Is that spells like minoletta's minor missiles and not typical CC spells?

Hey guys/gals,

- Sking

Hi Sking,

Is that spells like minoletta's minor missiles and not typical CC spells?

I think so, to be honest I'm just parotting Loren Tyr's knowledge so he'd be the one to tell you properly.

I dug around a bit more to get the details of how it works with the Survival accuracy bonus, but basically it works as follows: when an attack is launched, the AccuracyByRace status effect triggers and adds a temporary +X bonus to accuracy if the targeted enemy is of the appropriate type. Key there is "targeted enemy". Since AOE effects like Chants don't actually target anything, the bonus doesn't happen. This applies generally to any Race Accuracy bonus by the way, it's not just the Survival ones (note that Race Damage bonuses are triggered when an attack hits, so those will apply to AOE effects as well).

In summary, only anything that target a specific enemy will get the bonus. It will then also apply to secondary attacks off of those, so eg. Fetid Caress will get the bonus for both the primary Paralyze effect and secondary AOE Sicken effect.

• Like 2

I dug around a bit more to get the details of how it works with the Survival accuracy bonus, but basically it works as follows: when an attack is launched, the AccuracyByRace status effect triggers and adds a temporary +X bonus to accuracy if the targeted enemy is of the appropriate type. Key there is "targeted enemy". Since AOE effects like Chants don't actually target anything, the bonus doesn't happen. This applies generally to any Race Accuracy bonus by the way, it's not just the Survival ones (note that Race Damage bonuses are triggered when an attack hits, so those will apply to AOE effects as well).

In summary, only anything that target a specific enemy will get the bonus. It will then also apply to secondary attacks off of those, so eg. Fetid Caress will get the bonus for both the primary Paralyze effect and secondary AOE Sicken effect.

I'm curious why they did it this way ... It probably makes sense then for the description of racial accuracy and the survival bonuses to be updated.

Incidentally, this also means that Wood Elf isn't really the de facto race anymore for builds that primarily use AOE spells (e.g. a CC wizard) rather than attacking.

I'm curious why they did it this way ... It probably makes sense then for the description of racial accuracy and the survival bonuses to be updated.

Incidentally, this also means that Wood Elf isn't really the de facto race anymore for builds that primarily use AOE spells (e.g. a CC wizard) rather than attacking.

Technical reasons, presumably. It's triggered by an EventHandler, and you need the right one for that. It's on OnLaunch now, the only other one that would be a candidate here is the OnAttackFrameHits one, but that was clearly added much later. I'm not sure why it doesn't use the AdjustAccuracy function though, that's what most Accuracy bonuses run through and would work fine here as well. Might just be historic accident though. Keep in mind that this is in the order of 200,000 - 300,000 lines of code, it's quite a complex structure, and the kind of thing that grows rather organically over the course of development. 

Wood Elf distant enemy bonus does apply to AOE effects though; that runs through the AdjustAccuracy function, which is called when the attack impacts a particular enemy.

To be honest, it sounds like the combo would be a little overpowering anyway. The point of AoE effects is that they damage/disable a large group of enemies - to have that coming in at +10/15/20 accuracy on every enemy of a certain type in range seems a little much.

You've got to remember as well chants benefit from the additional +1 spell/ability accuracy per level that most spells and abilities do, so their base accuracy is quite a lot higher than conventional melee and ranged attacks. My own Chanter is currently level 14, when they max out at 16 they'll hit an unbuffed 100 accuracy with their chants (+5 from Per 15, +5 from Gauntlets of Accuracy, +4 from Gallant's Focus, +45 for level 16, +16 spell/ability accuracy per level, base 25). While that accuracy isn't enormous, the Dragon Thrashed does very respectable damage even on a graze, so I think it's more than enough.