painkillers

Gromnir

we got a couple o' med conditions that have us being prescribed painkillers.  one positive is that the frequency with which we suffer migraines with aura has decreased as we has gotten older, 'cause those result in a whole different kinda pain for us. regardless, for other problems, we is prescribed nerve-pain meds and opiates seeming by the pound. muscle relaxants is also frequent visitors in our med cabinet. not current, but for a considerable period o' time we were using three fentanyl patches at a time (two smaller and one bigger) to deal with some... issues. am not talking small pain issues.

ok, the reason why we bring up is 'cause we has always been curious.  clear we got some experience taking pain meds, and am always curious how folks get psychological addicted to pain meds.

the low-end nerve pain stuff such a gabapentin has very few side effects, but am never quite certain if they is doing anything.  more aggressive nerve pain drugs is usual o' the anti-depressant group, but in smaller dosages.  such drugs has annoying side effects, but they never make one feel good.  the notion o' craving nerve pain meds strikes us as ridiculous. 

opioids and muscle relaxants such as dilaudid is different than the nerve-pain meds. we took powerful pain med injections in college when we played football, and those could instant distance oneself from pain, but the thing is, for us, we has never felt good as the result o' taking pain meds. see tv and movies where people act all blissed and satisfied while taking oxy is beyond our comprehension.  at best, pain meds smother our discomfort.  is as if pillows is being added 'tween Gromnir and pain.  the pain never complete goes away, but it becomes subdued and distant.  meanwhile, we got the mild-to-moderate unpleasant feeling o' being... smothered.  feel slower and heavier and bad.  even so, as unpleasant as opioids in particular make us feel, at least we can get sleep thanks to 'em.  

our point is that we don't comprehend the addiction to opioids we hear o' other patients being addicted or see stuff as shown in media.  am not understanding the cravings for pain killers as they has never made us feel good.  sure, we understand withdrawal and headaches and all the physiological stuff that accompanies addiction to such meds, but we has never been "hooked" on such drugs 'cause we sure as heck have never experienced any kinda high from pain killers.

asked a doctor or two and they simple tell us that different folks react different.  am also having pain levels that seeming preclude the possibility o' getting high given the meds we is on... or so we is told.

*shrug*

am not wanting anybody to put themselves in a legal quandary, but if somebody could describe a high from opioids or other painkillers, we wouldn't mind hearing.  does folks actual feel good from oxy/percocet, or is that just tv/movie stuff?  as we noted, for us, painkillers make us feel, at best, dull.  craving for such dullness is beyond our ken.

thanks

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Vicodin/hydrocodone got me high. It worked as it was supposed to and I took it as prescribed. I don't have addictive tendencies though, so I never got close to the point of addiction...but damn, it felt good.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I don't really take hard drugs anymore (hello FBI), but in high school and early college I did a lot of painkillers and opiods. In general I felt a lot more calm and pleasant, like being in a really good mood but physically as well.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I got some Citodon from my father when I pulled my back so that I could basically do anything on my own, was pretty high dosage pils that he got for his hernia. It did help a bit with the pain, but it felt nothing more to me than an ordinary pain med would do. I felt a bit woozy from them, but that was about it.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Oh man, I'm sorry, chronic pain is a cross we wouldn't be able to bear. Once again I realize my problems are minor.

We are the addictive type. Smoking was a problem until we made an effort. I can understand painkillers, how they not only eliminate emotional deficit, but add a physical reward making you feel how you think you deserve to feel all the time. Never got in trouble or hurt anyone, but we have learned to channel energy into constructive things ... video games, movies, comics, beer.

Any luck with the food trucks, today.  

All Stop. On Screen.

Any luck with the food trucks, today.  

am skipping the food trucks today. friday we hit up the bacon mania truck in town, so an additional food truck splurge two days later would be, for us, excessive. next friday and sunday will present a moral conundrum for us as the culinerdy cruzer will be near on friday, but the sunday lineup in our community is excellent.  choices.

and thanks to all for the feedback. am guessing that Gromnir is one o' the lucky/unlucky bastards that don't have the brain chemistry to experience euphoria from opiates, but have always wondered what the fuss were 'bout.  am guessing it is good that we don't need worry 'bout addiction, but somehow we feel like we got cheated.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

When I had my wisdom teeth out about a year ago, I got a prescription for Oxycontin.  One night I came home from work in a lot of pain, so I took one.  It was great, pain was gone and I had a bunch of energy to help the kids with homework and make dinner.  But the next day when I tried to repeat that, I felt like I as on a bad trip.  I was nauseous and the room was spinning.  I just tried to close my eyes for 6 hours until it wore off.  

I stay away from it now. :p    

Avoid opioids. The withdrawal symptoms have varied between difficult to breathe to such a degree that you have sleep in a sitting position, heart beat feeling like a jazz-solo, jaw getting into a locked into one position or rattling so hard that you think your teeth will fall out. It's simply not worth it even if you feel like a blend of being drunk and eternal bliss.

I know that pain from migraine can cause temporal psychological problems, like feeling mentally fatigue down to understanding why killing yourself is a sudden viable opinion, but i recommend a whole load of Aspirin, like 2000mgs at once, and fall into a coma for a couple of hours instead, because its only a temporal feeling for a few hours compared to several weeks of withdrawal.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'm lucky in that I've never had a really serious injury that needed serious meds. I'm not really prone to addiction either which is a blessing as most of my family is addicted to one thing or another. From gambling to alcohol or even harder stuff, you name it and I have an aunt, uncle, or cousin who just can't kick it.

I guess I have to kinda walk that back as I have been on several serious antidepressants and sleep meds but I wouldn't describe them as pleasant. There may have been a bit of euphoria when I took some sleeping pills but then for whatever reason couldn't go to sleep but it wasn't something I was ever keen to repeat

Sorry, I know that's not helpful

Free games updated 3/4/21

Other than getting an aspirin after banging my head against a concrete pillar, I believe my only experience with painkillers was a shot of opium administered by nurse after waking up from surgery. Helped me sleep through the first night (scar was still sore as heck the following days, but nothing like the hours just after waking up). It was 30+ years ago, so they might use something else post-surgery these days. Sleeping through the "effects", I wouldn't know what I missed out on (if anything). Gromnir probably answered his own question in part, if taken together with a hefty dose of pain, it probably conditions the brain to not look forward to continue the experience.

That's all speculation and guesswork of course.

Edit: Duh, just reading TN's post, the shot administered after surgery was indeed also morphine, not opium. Did I mention it was a long time ago?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I thought they had special mushrooms for everything in the Netherlands :p

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Avoid opioids. The withdrawal symptoms have varied between difficult to breathe to such a degree that you have sleep in a sitting position, heart beat feeling like a jazz-solo, jaw getting into a locked into one position or rattling so hard that you think your teeth will fall out. It's simply not worth it even if you feel like a blend of being drunk and eternal bliss.

I know that pain from migraine can cause temporal psychological problems, like feeling mentally fatigue down to understanding why killing yourself is a sudden viable opinion, but i recommend a whole load of Aspirin, like 2000mgs at once, and fall into a coma for a couple of hours instead, because its only a temporal feeling for a few hours compared to several weeks of withdrawal.

our migraines is actual under control and we don't take opioids to treat. migraines (with aura) is a different beast from what most folks think o' as migraine, and aspirin is 'bout as effective as pez candy for treating.  'course opiates is no more effective than aspirin in our experience.  a LONG time ago (+25 years) we had doctors prescribe vicodin for migraines. pointless.  newer treatments is all 'bout stopping the "cycle of pain." if you can stop a migraine when the early symptoms first reveal themselves, you can take meds that prevent the migraine from fully developing.  such meds ain't really painkillers however.

https://www.drugs.com/maxalt.html

in the past, we got migraines 1 per month, like clockwork.  extreme discomfort followed by 2-3 days huddled in a dark room recovering.  miserable. then, as we got older, frequency dropped to once every three months. last year or so has been once every six months. we got good results from our meds, so 70% o' the time is no worse than what most folks would think o' as a horrible headache.

*chuckle*

the kinda scary thing 'bout migraine with aura is that the early symptoms for us (and many others) is near identical to stroke... save for smelling toast burning.  have hit an age when we gotta serious wonder if Gromnir is having migraine or stroke.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70860-what-you-did-today/?p=1586971

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70860-what-you-did-today/?p=1586991

haven't seen lady crimson on boards for awhile. kinda worried that she found no relief from migraines. 

name is misleading. folks hear migraine with aura and they think is just a bad headache. that can be true, but more often there is other symptoms and the degree o' headache pain after the initial onset symptoms is a whole different monster from the "migraines" folks take tylenol or aspirin to find relief.

https://americanmigrainefoundation.org/living-with-migraines/types-of-headachemigraine/migraine-and-aura/

HA! Good Fun!

our migraines is actual under control and we don't take opioids to treat. migraines (with aura) is a different beast from what most folks think o' as migraine, and aspirin is 'bout as effective as pez candy for treating.  'course opiates is no more effective than aspirin in our experience.  a LONG time ago (+25 years) we had doctors prescribe vicodin for migraines. pointless.  newer treatments is all 'bout stopping the "cycle of pain." if you can stop a migraine when the early symptoms first reveal themselves, you can take meds that prevent the migraine from fully developing.  such meds ain't really painkillers however.

https://www.drugs.com/maxalt.html

in the past, we got migraines 1 per month, like clockwork.  extreme discomfort followed by 2-3 days huddled in a dark room recovering.  miserable. then, as we got older, frequency dropped to once every three months. last year or so has been once every six months. we got good results from our meds, so 70% o' the time is no worse than what most folks would think o' as a horrible headache.

*chuckle*

the kinda scary thing 'bout migraine with aura is that the early symptoms for us (and many others) is near identical to stroke... save for smelling toast burning.  have hit an age when we gotta serious wonder if Gromnir is having migraine or stroke.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70860-what-you-did-today/?p=1586971

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70860-what-you-did-today/?p=1586991

haven't seen lady crimson on boards for awhile. kinda worried that she found no relief from migraines. 

name is misleading. folks hear migraine with aura and they think is just a bad headache. that can be true, but more often there is other symptoms and the degree o' headache pain after the initial onset symptoms is a whole different monster from the "migraines" folks take tylenol or aspirin to find relief.

https://americanmigrainefoundation.org/living-with-migraines/types-of-headachemigraine/migraine-and-aura/

HA! Good Fun!

That was way worse than what i thought that it was. I wouldn't wish headaches of that magnitude even to my worst enemies.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy