Shouldn't Flasks have the Liquid trait?

I've been wondering if Flasks should be liquid... after all, how they are used by the characters? I was comparing Sajan's roles and, at first glance, Drunken Master looked better than the Zen Archer. I mean, turning an otherwise banishing item into a rechargeable one is a powerful thing, regardless of the necessity of a check. But then I began to ponder the possibilities and realized that the items with the Liquid trait are almost exclusively potions (here I'm saying "almost" because I may be forgetting something), and most of the potions don't help enough in combat. At best, they offer a very situational benefit (usually a automatic skill success) to a character who should be renewing his hand every turn. Flasks, in my opinion, could help more a Drunken Master and give some additional flavor to the item if they were liquid.

What do you think?

I think the liquid trait is implying drinkability. If Sajan drank a flask of fire, I don't think he would be feeling all that well.

What? Have you ever watched Jackie Chan's Drunken Master? You should!  :lol:

But, yes, you're maybe right. Like I said before, I don't know how flasks work in this game, but I have to say that, mechanically, they have almost the same properties of potions (they only apply to you or to another character at your location; they are usually banished after they're used). My complaint is that I haven't saw any potion that is worth adopting the role Drunken Master. Even in the physical game, I've find very few items with the Liquid trait that are more combat oriented. There is one from the Sorcerer Class Deck called Bottled Lightning, that would be a mess in the hands of monk, but I don't know if it already drops from treasure chests or if there is any other similar card.

Not everything in a flask or bottle is drinkable. Even if you go back to the Pathfinder RPG this game is based on there are items like bottled lightning, fire, and air that are held in flask. Also potions always spells that show some benefit or detriment to the drinker. Even in the card game this is scaled back. The reason some of the card game stuff is wierd is that it isn't protected by the open licensing that the Pathfinder RPG is. Thats why instead of calling it magic missile like it is in the RPG it is called force missile.

I think the liquid trait is implying drinkability. If Sajan drank a flask of fire, I don't think he would be feeling all that well.

But, yes, you're maybe right. Like I said before, I don't know how flasks work in this game, but I have to say that, mechanically, they have almost the same properties of potions (they only apply to you or to another character at your location; they are usually banished after they're used). My complaint is that I haven't saw any potion that is worth adopting the role Drunken Master. Even in the physical game, I've find very few items with the Liquid trait that are more combat oriented. There is one from the Sorcerer Class Deck called Bottled Lightning, that would be a mess in the hands of monk, but I don't know if it already drops from treasure chests or if there is any other similar card.

Keep in mind that you can use Potion of Fortitude/Glibness/etc. to defeat any bane whose check to defeat include listed skill. Which are mostly barriers  but there is also a few monsters and even henchmans and villains that include those skills in their checks to defeat (Barl Breakbones, Iesha Foxgolve).

Another Potion that you might want to consider using is Potion of Energy Resistance... as we keep going there will be more and more things that deal elemental damage during "Before you act" portion of the encounter so having a way to ignore that is always nice.

Edited by Ripe

Not everything in a flask or bottle is drinkable. Even if you go back to the Pathfinder RPG this game is based on there are items like bottled lightning, fire, and air that are held in flask. Also potions always spells that show some benefit or detriment to the drinker. Even in the card game this is scaled back. The reason some of the card game stuff is wierd is that it isn't protected by the open licensing that the Pathfinder RPG is. Thats why instead of calling it magic missile like it is in the RPG it is called force missile.

These "Bottled" items are drinkable in the original RPG? Because I've seen the card Bottled Lightning and it has the Liquid trait.

Keep in mind that you can use Potion of Fortitude/Glibness/etc. to defeat any bane whose check to defeat include listed skill. Which are mostly barriers  but there is also a few monsters and even henchmans and villains that include those skills in their checks to defeat (Barl Breakbones, Iesha Foxgolve).

Another Potion that you might want to consider using is Potion of Energy Resistance... as we keep going there will be more and more things that deal elemental damage during "Before you act" portion of the encounter so having a way to ignore that is always nice.

It's like I said before, unfortunately this is very situational to a class that should be renewing his hand every turn. Besides, the ability to recharge Liquid items is the heart of a Drunken Master, so I think these items should help more in combat. Potions give an automatic success to several skills, but let's face it, a lot of rechargeable items do the same thing. With time, players tend to replace Potions of Glibness with Crowns of Charisma, Potions of Hiding with Cloaks of Elvenkind or Potions of Fortitude with  Amulets of Fortitude, and you won't need to make any checks to not to banish them. There is nothing so special with potions that other items can't do.

Honestly, I would like to find someone that had a real experience with a Sajan Drunken Master, because "Bring me Another" looks neat at first glance, but after I played with Sajan and got to know better his playing style, that ability became less appealing to me.

Well, you might find this helpful for playing Sajan:

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lhzh?Hawkmoons-Best-Character-Ever-Sajan

It's only a really useful potion so far, but it does the job very well. It could improve not only Sajan's exploring power (because now you have a new way to recover blessings and allies), but also his power to support allies (I don't know how you do, but Sajan's blessings are untouchable unless the moment is critical). I look forward to see combat oriented "Liquid" items like Bottled Lightning available in the treasure chest boosters (which is, by the way, a card that is both Liquid AND Ranged, so I think that the Liquid trait doesn't imply drinkability after all).