The future of Quest Mode and Skill feats

So I brought up this on reddit here .

An issue with Quest Mode is that with how much we're able to progress, would it be be possible to ever improve your skill die? In Story Mode, or the physical game, your party is capped with how many unique scenarios you can play, thus limiting how many skill feats / rewards you'll be able to obtain. This isn't the case with Quest Mode (which is really exciting), so would it be possible to upgrade your skill die from say... d4 to a d6 in the future? permanently? So any subsequent upgrades would be a d6 +x, etc. I know statistically a d4 +2 is better than just a d6.. but upgrading to a d6 becomes better after a few +1 upgrades, and further improves your chances if other party members help you with blessings!

If you were a dev, how would you implement this?

If you are a dev, is this planned? Or will characters inevitably reach a cap? IS THERE AN END GAME?

I was wondering if any devs or anyone can chime in and discuss. :D

In reply to dice upgrade as you describe, Lini shapeshift and the Monk's ability already does this so if the developers decided to implement it, they just might have the framework to accomodate it.

That being said , I don't think they will..or at least change how the parallelism of storymode and questmode is as is now. The storymode is faster in terms of power gaining and is cap by how far your adventures is, but questmode is also constraint by a level cap (40 for now).

Questmode is slower almost to a crawl between some level, and in my early playing, frustrating that you are rewarded on some level a crappy card. The carrot is on almost every 5 or 10 levels i think where it mimics the reward you get from completing a scenario in storymode ( + hand size, ability, etc.)

They might decide to remove the level cap when all adventures are release and there is an clear endgame storywise just so they can gauge how much power they allow the players get in questmode but then i think it will result on unbalancing for or in some part of the game..not to mention unlimited level is whole other problem.

To sum up, the storymode will always take priority in how powerful a character could be or what mechanics they can attain and questmode will just emulate it at a slower pace but both will end up with same endgame situation.

In reply to dice upgrade as you describe, Lini shapeshift and the Monk's ability already does this so if the developers decided to implement it, they just might have the framework to accomodate it.

Those abilities are not exactly permanent though.. it would be cool if skills upgrade to the next die when maxing out on the +x feats. Like, it's cool the Quest Mode cap coincides with the Story Mode adventures.. but let's say the new Adventure Path get's released, our story mode characters are essentially thrown out! Will our Quest Mode characters be reset too? I would be pretty bummed if I had to restart every time a new path comes out :(

I would be pretty bummed if I had to restart every time a new path comes out :(

Prepare to be partially bummed.  Skulls & Shackles and Wrath of the Righteous are their own Adventures, balanced and designed by starting over, and even have their own characters designed for each one.  You would be super overpowered early on using your leveled heroes on those and would run out of things to unlock really quickly.  (Although you can use any characters from any set for these if you really wanted to).

That isn't to say you couldn't, nor is it to say that they won't design the app to let you should you want to.  (Although IMO, it's less fun than it sounds.)

That said. the GOOD news:  http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lhxk?Wrath-of-the-Righteous-The-LongAwaited

The way wrath ups it's dice rolls using d20's, Paizo basically have suggested you can continue on with your characters for a nice challenge by removing some of the new rules in Wrath (No mythic path) and basically use parts of the Wrath set to become a pseudo Adventure Path 7,8,9, 10.  So you could take your Adventure Path 6 heroes from Rise/Skulls, and continue on that way if you wanted to.  

So hopefully the app, one day, gets there, and can even possibly mimic this.  

Or who knows, maybe Obsidian have their own ideas on how to incorporate power creep or endless modes, or what have you. 

Edited by wakasm
  • Like 1

Definitely something to look forward to, although I think this quote from the article is a bit lazy haha

Fifth, when you get a reward, claim it! But hey, what about when you've already checked your last card feat or power feat and you're awarded another one? Just make it a skill feat. We've done the math, so you're good there. When you're done with the final scenario of Wrath 6, your set of feat boxes will be real close to entirely filled in. Now that's a hero.

I probably just need to stop thinking this is like an mmo..

Edited by jumpthegun