ring of protection

Tampabayfan

Question

The ring of protection is letting me reveal it multiple times to prevent all damage.  For example, there was one situation where I was supposed to take around 6 points of damage.  I was able to reveal the ring of protection six times to negate all of that damage.  This may be intended based on the wording on the card, but it seems like it is a bug.

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

Definitely a bug, you shouldn't be able to play the same card multiple times on one set of damage. At the very least this breaks the rule of not being able to play more than one card of the same type on a single check.

• Like 1

Definitely a bug, you shouldn't be able to play the same card multiple times on one set of damage. At the very least this breaks the rule of not being able to play more than one card of the same type on a single check.

Some 'accessories' - I believe the ROP was one - expressly allow you to play another card of the same type on the check (can't remember if the ROP does). However, there is a  FAQ over at Paizo that specifically forbids that you reveal the same physical card, exactly to close such loopholes. Keep in mind, if you have TWO ROPs in your hand (and they state "You may play another Item on this check") - you should be able to play both.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

The ring of protection is letting me reveal it multiple times to prevent all damage.  For example, there was one situation where I was supposed to take around 6 points of damage.  I was able to reveal the ring of protection six times to negate all of that damage.  This may be intended based on the wording on the card, but it seems like it is a bug.

Just had a similar thing happen with a Shield of Fire Resistance.  Took 4 fire damage, revealed the shield, somehow "unrevealed" the shield, and was able to use it again.

Not sure of the sequence of events that got that to happen.  I was just idly tapping on the screen when thinking about which other cards to discard.

Some 'accessories' - I believe the ROP was one - expressly allow you to play another card of the same type on the check (can't remember if the ROP does). However, there is a  FAQ over at Paizo that specifically forbids that you reveal the same physical card, exactly to close such loopholes. Keep in mind, if you have TWO ROPs in your hand (and they state "You may play another Item on this check") - you should be able to play both.

The second part of ring of protection says that you may play another item on this check.  So, a player should be able to use a second copy of ring of protection to prevent a second point of damage, but the card shouldn't be allowing a player to negate all damage.  i tested this issue again against Iesha Foxglove.  She dealt me 11 points of damage, and I was able to use ring of protection to negate all of the damage by revealing it 11 times.

What method were you using to continually reveal? Were you just revealing and canceling? Or just dragging the card up to the reveal spot multiple times?

I just re-confirmed this a couple times on my iPad.  Here's one example:

-Took 7 combat damage from some goblin henchman

-Revealed a Shield of Fire Resistance [5 damage to go]

-Tapped on the already-revealed shield, selected Reveal a second time [3 damage to go]

-Tapped on the already-revealed shield, selected Reveal a third time [1 damage to go]

-Tapped on the already-revealed shield, selected Reveal a fourth time [all good!]

No need to drag cards up and down to break or confuse the game.  The Reveal option just stays available after it gets used the first time. Fun!

• Like 3

The ring of protection did for mr exactly what the shield of fire resistance did for ethics gradient. I chose the RoP to reduce the first point of damage. I noticed the blue outline around the card so I pressed it again, and I received the option to reveal again. Let me know if there is any other info you may need from me for this issue.

Edited by Tampabayfan

The ring of protection did for mr exactly what the shield of fire resistance did for ethics gradient. I chose the RoP to reduce the first point of damage. I noticed the blue outline around the card so I pressed it again, and I received the option to reveal again. Let me know if there is any other info you may need from me for this issue.

So, I'd say the problem is in general with cards that say "You may play another <my_card_type>  card on the check" (which the shields do) allowing you to play the same instance of the card itself.

• Like 1

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

Same here. I was able to use the ring 5 or 6 times with Seoni.