Odd Problem

Ainya

Question

I did the patch last night and was playing with no problems. I fell asleep mid-mission, which happens a lot since i play at bedtime and i'm an old fart LOL

Party of 5; Ezran, Sajan, Lini, Lem, and Valeros

Mission: Hook Mountain Massacre - The Fort in Peril

Medium difficulty

normally, I wake up and the mission is right where I left off. Sometimes I kill and restart the app, and it always picksup right where i left off. This morning however, I woke up to the start/end of a mission?? But I was in the restock page, and a significant number of cards were missing:

3 weapons (including Lem's only weapon: deathbane Xbow)

5 spells

2 armor

6 items

4 allies

(this was tallied from the bottom, i dont remember specifics on the items actually missing)

It makes no sense, I didn't banish that many items--i'm not even sure you could?

What I think happened based on the missing item numbers and categories is that the game somehow ditched all my "discard decks" and ended my mission. I vaguely remember Lem's Xbow being discarded at a failed roll of snakeeyes. This is not a case of, are you sure you didnt banish by accident--20 times??

I can deal with being booted from my mission, no biggie i can run it again, and really the gear is all replaceable with enough runs..

BUT I wanted to post to see if there was a known issue i missed so I dont do this again. if not, try and figure out what/why it happened. I didnt do anything different last night except the new update.

any insight is welcome.

14 answers to this question

If you haven't continued past the mission screen, then copy your save folder and upload it and The Devs can get much better information from that than anything we post here. If you have already passed the scenario comma then there's probably not much we can do until the devs are able to reproduce the situation.

Also your PFID might be useful.

additional information:

When I exit to main menu, the continue button is active. So I press that and it takes me to the start of that same mission/difficulty and assigning people to locations except one location is already closed (??) 

I choose Lem's favorite card type of what is left in his hand (they are still missing cards but in the start mission screen)

I dump everyone at a location (Deeper Dungeons coz its the top most location)

and start it as if it were normal..

It starts with Ezran (he is first in the turn order) -- in the middle of a play?? He is at end of turn phase, has 2 cards in discard, drawn up to a full hand, and 2 cards in his deck. Its giving me the blinky red - advance to the next person button. When i look through the party all but Lini has cards in discard and a full hand. (Lini probably healed and recharged her spell, i use her as my healer)

When I advance Ezran it takes me to Valeros (2nd in turn order) -- start of round phase but he also appears as if we were mid-mission, 2 cards in discard, a full hand, and 4 in his deck

I forfeit the mission,it gives me the "your party has run out of time" message and then takes me back to the re-stock/swap party gear with all the same card shortages.  I can go back into the main menu... and it keeps running in the same loop of a half-played game, but not really.

Firestormkirbys advise is the one to follow. The cloud save of the situation may be the only way of finding out what happened.

There has been missing characters because the game file or save file has been corrupted. Also some character powers has been reported to cause cards to vanish. But I have not here a case like this before. Not even during the beta stage. So this is definitely worth of looking for.

i'm not very familiar with the back end of apple devices. If i access it like a drive, will the app/save folder be obvious?

ETA: apparently my husband said he's not able to access the game files. the software he was using doesn't see it anymore so i'm back to how do i get the file out? i really want to go back to playing. I haven't tried anything so that the devs could look at it.

Edited by Ainya

he uses ifixbox i think. he said he can see the apps but the data is hidden but it used to show up. he thinks some update in iOS broke the software.

I was thinking they might need it to figure out what happened? if not i guess I can try and uninstall and reinstall. Last night I tried to run quest mode to pass the time since my game was still stuck in that interminable loop. and it was also broken.  As soon as you assign people out, the first player starts his turn on "end of turn" just like in my story mode, although no cards in discard. So i'm kind of stuck. not sure what to do.

I think my gaming group is mid-campaign in brimstone so I can't get them to switch back to pathfinder until its done.  LOL

he uses ifixbox i think. he said he can see the apps but the data is hidden but it used to show up. he thinks some update in iOS broke the software.

iOS 8+ didn't specifically "break" software like iExplorer, Apple just updated a security feature to no longer allow untrusted access to application data, unless iTunes file sharing or other settings are enabled by the developer.  It was part of an ongoing effort to "sandbox" apps and make it really difficult for one app to get at the files of another.

Aside from jailbreak options, the only way to get at a saved files is to do an unencrypted backup, and then use some other tool to extract what you're looking for from that backup.  It's a pain to do, and the method to reinsert modified files involves a full restoration from backup. Not particularly user friendly...

• Like 1

iOS 8+ didn't specifically "break" software like iExplorer, Apple just updated a security feature to no longer allow untrusted access to application data, unless iTunes file sharing or other settings are enabled by the developer.  It was part of an ongoing effort to "sandbox" apps and make it really difficult for one app to get at the files of another.

Aside from jailbreak options, the only way to get at a saved files is to do an unencrypted backup, and then use some other tool to extract what you're looking for from that backup.  It's a pain to do, and the method to reinsert modified files involves a full restoration from backup. Not particularly user friendly...

One of the many many many reasons why I would never use an apple product. Even right now I have an semi autonomous program to slavage cards I don't need in my vault, and it has saved me soooo much time. With Apple I couldn't even come close to doing that with this app. Let alone all the other things I do on Android.

And limiting access to other app files seems to be counter-productive to sandboxing apps. Android does sandboxing very well because of intents indirectly allowing file access.

Edited by firestormkirby

And limiting access to other app files seems to be counter-productive to sandboxing apps. Android does sandboxing very well because of intents indirectly allowing file access.

It's not as bad of a boondoggle it sounds like.  It used to be that any app on the phone (or on your computer) could navigate through wide chunks of the user-side file system.  iOS 8.3 changed things up so that developers had to "opt in" to allow such accesses.  

Turning basic file sharing support on is as easy as one line in a config file, but I guess a lot of developers don't care about easy access to files, or see some benefit in hiding them from the user.