All the dice look Great... Except the Legendaries

I've tried all the dice, except Firey Core (since I don't have it), and they look excellent. The rarer dice look awesome on screen.

However, the two blue legendaries are very difficult to read after they are rolled. When the dice are first put on screen they can be read fine, but once rolled the numbers are much less opaque and the effects of the dice make it very hard to read the dice when they land. I know the game automatically adds up the dice after the roll, but the suspense of seeing a few of the numbers when they stop before the total pops up is very appealing to me. I suspect the Firey dice will also be that way since the preview is already the hardest to read.

I didn't post this in the Technical support forum, becasue it is not really a bug of any sort. But the (supposedly) best dice skins are, by far, the worst for me. Unfortunately, screenshots don't really show the problem since they capture the still frame and not the dice movement and internal effects.

I agree.  I've accumulated an assortment of dice over the years, and I always go back to a mid-90's set from an AD&D starter box, not out of nostalgia, but because they can be easily read across the table (or occasionally under it).

Also, I'm not sure if it's done to troll any geologists out there, but the mineral-themed dice don't really match up with their names either.  Lapis Lazuli, the mineral component for the bluest pigment known to man for centuries, is a weird opalescent pink.  Hematite may look black in pictures, but in person, it usually appears as a polished dark silver.  There are a few other examples too.

It's the geology equivalent to annoying graphic designers with a t-shirt that says: Helvetica!

• Like 4

Oh hi! I made all the dice you see in the game. I'll just address some stuff:

- Some dice don't render the same on different devices. I'm working to make this more consistent

- ^ That means some dice also don't look right in the current build. Lapiz Lazuli is a very nice blue on most devices, but sometimes appears a bright magenta! I've tweaked the shader and it's more consistently blue now (with hints of yellow like lapiz lazuli).

- I'm striking a balance between readability and just fancy dice. Some of the fancier looking dice are given some strong effects, but that makes them harder to read. I'm ok with this because we have more common dice with easier to read numbers, so I wonder if making them entirely readable will keep them as cool. e.g. I don't want Guardian Blue to have dark numbers even though that would be more readable. I think the whole thing should look kind of mystical.

- @Loswaith, I also would like to work out that little kink on the dice when they finish rolling. I think it has to do with how the code rotates the dice. I'll have to look into it!

Glad folks are enjoying the dice. I look to improve them in future updates!

• Like 5

Great job so far!  The variety of dice makes the game feel a little more tabletop-like.

Sorry if I jumped to conclusions on colors, I've only played the game on Apple "I hope you like the color calibration, because there's no way you can change things" iPads.  Never occurred to me that it could be a rendering quirk.

- Some dice don't render the same on different devices. I'm working to make this more consistent

- ^ That means some dice also don't look right in the current build. Lapiz Lazuli is a very nice blue on most devices, but sometimes appears a bright magenta! I've tweaked the shader and it's more consistently blue now (with hints of yellow like lapiz lazuli).

Interesting, because (I assume) EthicsGradient is playing on IOS and I am on (2 different) Android devices and his descriptions are the same as the dice I have. Hopefully it is fixed in the future.

EDIT: Looks like a correct assumption, so the color issue appears across devices and brands.

- I'm striking a balance between readability and just fancy dice. Some of the fancier looking dice are given some strong effects, but that makes them harder to read. I'm ok with this because we have more common dice with easier to read numbers, so I wonder if making them entirely readable will keep them as cool. e.g. I don't want Guardian Blue to have dark numbers even though that would be more readable. I think the whole thing should look kind of mystical.

Hopefully you can find a strong balance between readability and coolness, as of right now I can't stand the legendaries, but I would definitely like to see more of them developed.

Also, are you planning on making external effects? Like if the dice rolls max something appears on screen? For example if I roll a d6 and a 6 is rolled some cool fire effect pops on screen for a moment (if the die was Firey Core). I think that would be absolutely awesome.

Edited by firestormkirby