OMG Fallout New Orleans!

Gecimen

My money's on trolling

Seriously though, filing a trademark registration isn't free. While certainly not beyond the lengths /b/tards may be willing to go, I doubt anyone would really spend money on such low-key trolling.

Look at the page. It plainly states that the application fee hasn't been paid yet. This *is* low-level trolling.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I suspect whoever registered that lives under a bridge and should be fought with acid or fire.

I always seemed to somehow end up with no party members having fire/acid arrows or fire/acid damage weapons.  :/

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

This location was suggested many times on the Bethsoft forums.

I suppose that could lend it credence either way.  A plausible setting for either a real game or faked announcement.

Edited by Gizmo

New Orleans has been mentioned a few times by Obsidian as possible future Fallout locations, so it would be an easy troll.  Or it could be real.  Who knows?

That said, I doubt Obsidian is doing another Fallout.  First, go look at the interview Feargus did last month.  They have other things going on and not enough people to be really focusing on a AAA title right now with Armored Warfare (which he calls 'the big one") in full production and with Tyranny coming out this year.  This is relative because Bethesda operates on a three year dev cycle normally (Fallout 4 was a four year exception to their recent history) and that means the next Elder Scrolls is probably a 2018 title.  They aren't going to want a competing Fallout game that year, so the next Fallout title will probably drop next year, in 2017.  There is no way Obsidian can be in a position to do that.

Second, my feeling from all along is that people aren't thinking about the bigger picture.  Bethesda is owned by Zenimax, and at this point Zenimax owns like six or seven studios.  Why would they contract out for a Fallout franchise title?  They'd be more likely to have one of their other studios do it.  And it may very well be that the next Fallout title isn't an RPG anyway, it could be a shooter. 

And it may very well be that the next Fallout title isn't an RPG anyway, it could be a shooter. 

Or... an isometric, squad-based tactical strategy game. *cough*

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

New Orleans has been mentioned a few times by Obsidian as possible future Fallout locations, so it would be an easy troll.  Or it could be real.  Who knows?

That said, I doubt Obsidian is doing another Fallout.  First, go look at the interview Feargus did last month.  They have other things going on and not enough people to be really focusing on a AAA title right now with Armored Warfare (which he calls 'the big one") in full production and with Tyranny coming out this year.  This is relative because Bethesda operates on a three year dev cycle normally (Fallout 4 was a four year exception to their recent history) and that means the next Elder Scrolls is probably a 2018 title.  They aren't going to want a competing Fallout game that year, so the next Fallout title will probably drop next year, in 2017.  There is no way Obsidian can be in a position to do that.

Second, my feeling from all along is that people aren't thinking about the bigger picture.  Bethesda is owned by Zenimax, and at this point Zenimax owns like six or seven studios.  Why would they contract out for a Fallout franchise title?  They'd be more likely to have one of their other studios do it.  And it may very well be that the next Fallout title isn't an RPG anyway, it could be a shooter. 

From the interviews I've seen, it sounds like Bethesda isn't even working on the next elder scrolls game yet. They've stated that they're waiting until they have the technology to realize their vision for the game. That said, it sounds like they do have another big game or two in the the works.

Actually, you're right, eimatshya. At least they've said in a Gamescom interview, that they'd release two other big games before they're even going to talk about TES VI.

Well, my watchlist of RPGs is 39 games long, including a few hybrids. I can wait.

Edited by LittleRose

And it may very well be that the next Fallout title isn't an RPG anyway, it could be a shooter.

Well, Fallout 4 was a shooter, maybe the next Fallout title will be an RPG!

• Like 6
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The only thing New Orleans would be good for is a World of Darkness game. Fallout? Lets hope not. Nothing Falloutish about New Orleans.

• Like 1

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

It may be a good thing if the Fallout setting were to be left to grow fallow for a few years. It is in need of a fresh start.

Yeah, I'm a little burnt out on Fallout at the moment. I'd prefer to have a new IP for a change. How about an urban fantasy RPG? Or a sci fi RPG? It would be nice to have an alternative to Mass Effect. Or what about another espionage RPG? I feel like post apocalyptic and medieval fantasy have been over represented. We've had some good games in those genres, but a bit of variety is nice. I'm quite looking forward to Tides of Numenera largely because the setting will be a nice change of pace.

Still, at least they won't have to imagine what a devastated New Orleans would look like. :p

It would be genuinely interesting in a couple of ways. Fallout up to this point has been mostly dry wasteland, so it's an opportunity to mix it up a bit and have a setting where water is the predominate feature. The other would be the music. Actually on second thought, scrap Fallout and make a game inspired by Down by Law. :p

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Yes, I might enjoy a game where boats and swimming are major modes of movement. I could see my character paddling through flooded N'Orleans in a mirelurk-hide corracle, looking to upgrade to a punt.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The only thing New Orleans would be good for is a World of Darkness game. Fallout? Lets hope not. Nothing Falloutish about New Orleans.

I do love beads, boobs, and bourbon!

That aside I would ****ing love for Obsidian to make a FO4 spin-off like they did with NV! 

Edited by bigcrazewolf

Confirmation bias meets crazy conspiracy theories.

My favorite quote from that post:

it’s worth noting that despite ‘tyme’ not being a word, it appears in the ‘old-tyme brawler’ New Vegas perk

Ah yes, a notable thing indeed.

I think it's notable that Bethesda took a huge dump on Obsidian with the royalties thing on New Vegas, so why on earth people would suspect Obsidian developing a new game for them is beyond me. Yes, Obsidian gets a paycheck for such a future project, and yes they have a nice Fallout pedigree with Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky there - but they really screwed Obsidian with the tough development schedule so I don't see these companies now being particularly amicable. Maybe it's a case of Obsidian/Bethesda being able to look past these prior issues and keep it all business, but as this was one of the things that almost sent Obsidian into administration I can't see it happening. On Bethesda's side 85% wasn't a massively huge target to hit, however to restrict Obsidian so much in terms of schedule they really weren't playing nice.

It seems like an eventual World of Darkness angle is much more likely with Paradox, who Obsidian have worked with before and who won't do them over (and besides, the Trokia/Interplay players are still there - even if Cain/Boyarsky are seemingly massively integral to Obsidian's decisions I think their advise on such a game would be invaluable).

So I'm expecting huge disappointment for long term Fallout fans, but maybe a glimmer of hope for the World of Darkness fans. Looks like a win-loss for me. 

So I'm expecting huge disappointment for long term Fallout fans, but maybe a glimmer of hope for the World of Darkness fans. Looks like a win-loss for me.

There is only huge disappointment for long term Fallout fans. The Bethesda influenced games have zero elements in common with the core series.  The only hope for the Fallout IP ever becoming the Fallout IP again, is for Obsidian to get it with no strings attached; to be able to develop Fallout 5 ~off the leash... Or better yet, to be able to develop a Fallout 3 that retcons and disavows the past two series games by Bethesda.

**And even still... They would have to want to. The devs might no longer be interested in making a proper Fallout title.   

Barring Obsidian... my vote goes to Hairbrained Schemes; though I am unsure if they have the metal for it.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's notable that Bethesda took a huge dump on Obsidian with the royalties thing on New Vegas, so why on earth people would suspect Obsidian developing a new game for them is beyond me. Yes, Obsidian gets a paycheck for such a future project, and yes they have a nice Fallout pedigree with Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky there - but they really screwed Obsidian with the tough development schedule so I don't see these companies now being particularly amicable. Maybe it's a case of Obsidian/Bethesda being able to look past these prior issues and keep it all business, but as this was one of the things that almost sent Obsidian into administration I can't see it happening. On Bethesda's side 85% wasn't a massively huge target to hit, however to restrict Obsidian so much in terms of schedule they really weren't playing nice.

It seems like an eventual World of Darkness angle is much more likely with Paradox, who Obsidian have worked with before and who won't do them over (and besides, the Trokia/Interplay players are still there - even if Cain/Boyarsky are seemingly massively integral to Obsidian's decisions I think their advise on such a game would be invaluable).

Very true. I do find it quite funny that fallout 4 got such high review scores from company's while the user review score doesn't even get past 6.4. Fallout new Vegas on the other hand got decent company review scores but users scores are higher than the professional reviewers. Tbh I think Obsidians in a better place than Bethesda when it comes to fallout since I'd rather have the people buying the product like it more than the "professional" reviewers. Ce la vi.

Hopefully that's the real reason why it's taking a while for TES 6 because they finally looked at the reviewer scores instead and HOPEFULLY are trying to decide how much rpg they need to put back into their sandbox shooter. Hopefully.