What are you playing right now

Rosbjerg

Previous thread here.

I'm kind of stuck on a planet in No Man's Sky. I was sick of having the same ship for so long, so I grabbed an abandoned and started fixing it up. Little did I realize that you need the Pulse Jet to even launch. Less did I realize that this planet HAS NO ZINC. I can't fix the Pulse Jet. By the time I realized this, my autosaves no longer covered before I switched ships. I scrapped everything in my old ship, so that was no longer an option. Less an option in that I'd walked for 30 minutes and tested summoning the new ship at a beacon. So I can't even find the old ship.

So now I'm wandering until I find a store that can sell me some zinc. Then I'm leaving this %#@%@#^ @#^@#%@#%@#@$^ $%^#$^# OF A PLANET AND NEVER LOOKING BACK. Extreme weather planets with constant sentinels are better than this crud. This planet is half water and the swimming in this game is crap, you're literally unable to swim with your head above water. With no fast swimming option, either.

Saving myself for Mankind Divided. Please be good.

Saving myself for Mankind Divided. Please be good.

Fortune favors the bald.

Killed the Kraekan Cyclops in Salt & Sanctuary, the hardest boss fight for me so far.  It took me 5 tries and much frustration to beat him.  Part of the difficulty is that he's strong against physical attacks, which is what I primarily use.  Blessing my weapon to add holy damage definitely helped, but it was still a really hard fight because he kept chain stunning me.  I could jump over his thrust attack and roll under his jumping attack, but his other attacks were very difficult for me to dodge as often you couldn't roll through him and you couldn't roll away from him either since his reach is insane.  Eventually I just got lucky with the chain stuns and managed to take him down with a blessed giant hammer before he could chain stun me to death. 

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I've been getting whooped on NEO Scavenger.  The first few made sense, I was fresh out in the wilds with nothing to protect myself.  But the last time was a bummer, I was almost to Detroit with a good amount of gear, and some Blue Frog church guy got me with a crowbar.  Ah well, probably would have died of the rot if I won. 

Might be time to make a melee character.  

I was tempted to pick up No Man's Sky when I was out today, but Wal-Mart didn't have it in stock.  I'm in no rush so I'll just wait until the next time I'm out and about.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Tried No Man's Sky via family sharing for some two hours or so. Yup, my machine is i5 CPU with GTX 970 and 16 gigs of RAM. Just to be sure I closed all other unnecessary processes before launching the game so it has a chance of running well. It didn't. So I tried suggestions to make it run better. It didn't. The game's a stuttering mess on a system which ran even Arkham Knight fine on release.

Still doing my arma3 stuff. Yesterday was spend on moving all my text stuff from XML files to a google docs file. I am now using a script which creates a new XML file based on the content in the web tables. This is awesome, because: It is easier to work with, easier to keep track of all changes (version history), now multiple people can work on the files at once, which makes proof reading, translating and moving the files back into the game (export) a much faster and better experience. All in all... I should have gone this step already way earlier than now. :itsawesome:

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Tried No Man's Sky via family sharing for some two hours or so. Yup, my machine is i5 CPU with GTX 970 and 16 gigs of RAM. Just to be sure I closed all other unnecessary processes before launching the game so it has a chance of running well. It didn't. So I tried suggestions to make it run better. It didn't. The game's a stuttering mess on a system which ran even Arkham Knight fine on release.

Don't own the game, but keep hearing there's just the one definitive fix for performance issues which fixes it for the majority of people, which is here.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I got off that godforsaken planet finally. Within like 30 minutes of starting up yesterday. Yay for me.

Even traded up to another abandoned ship again, which is all kinds of terrifying after that experience. I should just put together a checklist of all the resources needed to get a ship up and running.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Playing the "trying to be patient while my new video card arrives" game.  Then going to play the game of finding the post where Bokishi named the mods he has loaded into his Witcher 3 game.  Very excited to get back into Skellige without having to worry about framerate issues.  

• Like 1

Still in post-game Dragon's Dogma DA, up to level 84 now and cleared 1/3 of Bitter Black Isle and most of the Everfall.

So far the enemies I dread most must be...Hellhounds. Yeah, I know... I've gotten better at fighting them, but if you combine them with anything else they get really really painful really quick especially since pawns seem to focus on the biggest enemies first, which aren't necessarily the most dangerous ("Attack the damn Hellhound summoning Lich already, you can play with the Gorechimera after!")

That said I had a bear of a time with the first Elder Ogre I encountered due to no magic weapons in the group and no augments equipped on either of my Sorcerers... My first encounter with an Archhydra was also pretty painful since he (she?) kept flooring my sorcerer before she was able to get any spells off, ugh. After those two encounters I ditched the ranger Pawn I had hired for another Sorcerer. Two sorcerers are better than one, especially if they sync their spells for über-nukage...

The chained Gorecyclops on Bitter Black Isle has so far also wtfpwnd me each time. Now since it's chained it shouldn't have been a problem to avoid if it weren't that my Pawns always decide that pissing it off so it breaks loose is a grrreat idea... Think I'll put that one next one my list to try with the new party composition...

Can you tell I'm having fun? ;)

Don't own the game, but keep hearing there's just the one definitive fix for performance issues which fixes it for the majority of people, which is here.

Didn't :-/ Thanks for the link tho. Anyway, since I really wanted to play a good game with a similar theme after trying No Man's Sky, I started playing Starbound and it's incredibly addictive. And fun.

Losing interest in NMS. I know once I put it down I won't come back unless they have major content updates. All I feel I have left to do is get a ship with more slots, but that's a poor reason to keep playing.

My personal hype's died down and I feel I can say it's better as a technical basis for a game than a great or good game itself. It's a galaxy full of collectibles, and those are a poor substitute for actual gameplay. Even the emergent storytelling falls almost completely flat, which is the one area I hoped it would shine in.

I've pre-ordered Deus Ex for Tuesday, but until then I think I'll try and finish up X-Men Legends 2.

Everything about No Man's Sky makes me think it needs to be an MMO to interest me.  I know a lot of people hate being social, but I think I'd just be lonely exploring this great big universe without knowing other people were out there.  

I'm not sure how that's any more relevant to NMS than it is to every other game out there. Does one need to know other people are out there in Pillars?

I'm not anti-social, I'm just anti MMO.

Have my new GPU (Nvidia 1060) installed and have been having a great time with some games I've put on hold for a bit including Dying Light, which now easily runs at a constant 60 fps with everything cranked and Witcher 3, which runs the same.  1080p mind you, but that is huge to me.  I did install the STLM mod that Bokishi has installed, however have no installed the other reshade mod due to not knowing how easy it would be to uninstall it.  STLM is an easy delete of a folder, however not sure of the other.  Any thoughts or comments Bokishi?

I'm just getting to Kaer Morhen after 60 hours and just love this game.  Really taking my time, and will probably due to the first expansion before I complete the story, which I realize will make the main end game easy, but want to see how it affects the end game since I've heard it does.  Really excited to finally get into Blood and Wine, however realize that's still a long, long way off:)

Getting back into Dying Light has been superb as well.  Just left the slums to go through the sewers to "zero" which is a nice, new and different area and very much look forward to the expansion of this game.  Honestly, can't say how happy I am after being able to play these games, looking this good lol.  

Edited by SadExchange

I'm not sure how that's any more relevant to NMS than it is to every other game out there. Does one need to know other people are out there in Pillars?

Pillars isn't a game entirely built around exploration.  You have a clear story to follow, you develop characters, you meet NPC's that aren't random.  Maybe I'm missing something, but NMS doesn't seem to have that going for it.

I mean, this is just me, but all that exploring simply isn't as exciting knowing I'm all alone.  Honestly I have a similar complaint with Bethesda games.  They are great to explore, but once I realize the story and characters suck and there is no character development, I just feel lonely.  Oh look, another boring NPC that needs my help.  *yawn*

• Like 3

Pillars isn't a game entirely built around exploration. You have a clear story to follow, you develop characters, you meet NPC's that aren't random. Maybe I'm missing something, but NMS doesn't seem to have that going for it.

I mean, this is just me, but all that exploring simply isn't as exciting knowing I'm all alone. Honestly I have a similar complaint with Bethesda games. They are great to explore, but once I realize the story and characters suck and there is no character development, I just feel lonely. Oh look, another boring NPC that needs my help. *yawn*

That's why I still hold Morrowind up as their best. The bandits had names, and some were related to NPCs in cities and it made the game more interesting from a story point. If most of your NPCs are named Guard, Bandit, etc... It gets boring. Basically just a quest based murder sim.

I agree with NMS though. It is the kind of game that would be better as an online game. Like Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous. That would have allowed for many different types of gameplay.

• Like 2

Losing interest in NMS. I know once I put it down I won't come back unless they have major content updates. All I feel I have left to do is get a ship with more slots, but that's a poor reason to keep playing.

My personal hype's died down and I feel I can say it's better as a technical basis for a game than a great or good game itself. It's a galaxy full of collectibles, and those are a poor substitute for actual gameplay. Even the emergent storytelling falls almost completely flat, which is the one area I hoped it would shine in.

This was one of my concerns about purchasing it.  From a lot of reviews, it seems to be a very ... shallow game.

Sounds like there's technically a lot to do, but 90% of it is boring stuff.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

MMOs quest structures, grinding and raids seems for most players to be an acceptable substitute for a more coherent story and varied gameplay.

So I'd agree, as grinding in singleplayer is always extremely boring.

Fortune favors the bald.

I have played like 6 hours of Starbound past two days. The game includes such revolutionary features as:

- Procedural generation of alien planets with varied biomes and unique hazards, including those without atmosphere

- Entirele storyline complete with bosses

- Fairly complex combat system with critters that have various attributes and abilities and weapons with varied handling

- Generation of star systems with planets that orbit the sun

- Skyboxes which reflect moons orbiting planet you're on or the planet you're orbiting

- Construction of complex bases, complete with ability to populate it with NPCs

- Procedural generation of dungeons, complete with bosses and rare loot

I suppose it's not first person and you can't directly control your craft (you can only tell it where to go), but since that's pretty much the only thing you can don in No Man's Sky, I'm okay with this. I'm kinda annoyed at the speed of default mining tool and I dislike that crafting some recipes takes time, but those are fairly minor gripes and I guess that I could just install mods to resolve those.

Edit: I found a pickaxe! All is fine in the world!

This was one of my concerns about purchasing it.  From a lot of reviews, it seems to be a very ... shallow game.

Sounds like there's technically a lot to do, but 90% of it is boring stuff.

I don't think there's even a lot to do per se - you can follow the story, to some extent, sell stuff on stations, buy stuff on stations and learn languages, and... That's about it for meaningful interactions, really. Yeah there's combat, but it sucks. Additionally, all of this gets constantly interrupted by mining resources for the sake of mining resources - sure, you can craft stuff, but it'll mostly just make combat and mining resources easier and it'll allow you to craft less irritating inventory, which... Is not really a feature you want to see in a game.

All of this is then interrupted by everything needing fuel - your shields need fuel, your ship's engines need fuel, your life support needs fuel, your bloody mining tool that you use to mine the fuel needs fuel. I still don't understand who came up with those as a good set of mechanics, you mine to get more fuel for your ship and you need to account for 30% fuel tax induced by all other equipment.

Edited by Fenixp