Hardcopy vs Steam vs GoG?

SirMirrorcoat

Question

I hope this is the right subforum to ask this?

I am unsure which is the best platform to take PoE from...

Would prefer the hardcopy version, but apparently producers/developers and modders alike don't like DVDs that much anymore (my BG:EE dvd can't get an update past 1.xx for example, and some mods for Planescape have a hard time working with the DVD version).

So I wonder whether the hardcopy version has some kind of disadvantage over Steam or GoG and vice versa. Like updates or version-unique bugs etc.

Thank you for upcoming info ^^

10 answers to this question

If you didn't get a backer copy of the game, the DVD sold at stores include the Steam version, so the patches would be up to date. GOG gets patches a little later and doesn't get the betas, but it does look like the game won't be getting as much support now and most of the devs have moved to other projects, so that's not as much of a problem anymore.

Both GOG and Steam use the same build, as far as I know, so there shouldn't be problems connected to unique bugs or whatever. It's just down to your preferences and whether you care about DRM-free copies or not.

Steam is a DRM, but not all the Steam games requires Steam to run.

In Pillars case you need Steam to install it, but you don't need Steam to play it.

You can launch Pillars directly from the executable PillarsOfEternity.exe.

I've come to burn your kingdom down

I bought the Hardcopy version off of Amazon last month.  It only came with CDs and no CD keys.  The game played fine and I loved it.  I am now trying to buy the expansions through Steam and Steam doesn't recognize my hardcopy install.  I put a ticket into Steam and they are telling me I need CD keys to get Steam to recognize my ownership of PoE.  How do I resolve this?  I shouldn't have to repurchase the game on Steam to get the expansions.